Social Media and High End Audio

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have been very critical about some of the social media folks and their behavior and also for their lack of experience and their agenda driven rants. I believe that those who are selling gear and/or are associated with dealers or manufacturers ( this applies to review sites as well) are really doing more harm than good and are walking a very fine line in the ethics department. I believe that video is the present and the future for High End audio just as it is for almost every other product based industry. Knowledge is good and the easiest and fastest way to get that information out I also believe is a good thing. I was very disappointed by some of the IMO mean spirited attacks on manufacturers in some of these social media sites and the repression and insulting replies to questions and dissenting viewpoints. If you are going to discuss something and try to be a journalist then I believe it should be balanced and as fair as possible. OK my speech is over.
I saw this video this morning and thought it might be a very good place to have a discussion of some points that were made within it.
I am a lifer and audio is not only my joy but it is my business as well. All points of view are needed to improve the industry for all participants in all areas of the business and hobby. Knowledge is power.
Gentlemen the floor is yours:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com

Reactions: Long Live Analog

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I have not yet watched the video you posted. But I did see the video from AJ on the bad paint job from Rockport.

Youtube is not just a thing for high-end audio but for all types of hobbies. These people aren't called influencers for just any reason. They have a following of 10000's of people and those people pay close attention to what that youtuber has to say. Any company in an industry (High-end audio included) who has their head in the sand and thinks that these people don't matter are not going to last long. On the flip side those companies who will embrace it are much more likely to succeed. In a former post I was encouraging TAS to do youtube as I mentioned that back in the HP days if you wanted to communicate information to like minded people you published a magazine of sorts (e.g. TAS). Today that has changed to video.

On a side note, most of the individuals that I watch on youtube come across as personable, knowledgable and are entertaining to watch/listen to. It is clear why the TAS people are writers. (Because they can write) But when I watch the TAS videos these same writes come across as stilted with no video presence and are frankly hard to watch.

What rubs me the wrong way and I think a lot of people is the fact that high-end audio prices are on the luxury level and the service is on the big box store level. When something is not right with a $60K speaker upon delivery then the dealer/manufacturer needs to take care of the customer -- immediately! This lack of service is what drove the videos and controversy. If you don't want to get called out then step up and do the right thing.

There are a few dealers that do a good job of making sure the customer is happpy. e.g. flying out for the delivery and arranging professional setup. But this is pretty rare. There are some manufacturers who do a great job but many who don't. For example, I have had great experience with WIlson, YG, Pass and Vivid where something wasn't right and they took immediate action with little to no questioning.

Last edited:

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I have not yet watched the video you posted. But I did see the video from AJ on the bad paint job from Rockport.

Youtube is not just a thing for high-end audio but for all types of hobbies. These people aren't called influencers for just any reason. They have a following of 10000's of people and those people pay close attention to what that youtuber has to say. Any company in an industry (High-end audio included) who has their head in the sand and thinks that these people don't matter are not going to last long. On the flip side those companies who will embace it are much more likely to succeed. In a former post I was encouraging TAS to do youtube as I mentioned that back in the HP days if you wanted to communicate information to like minded people you published a magazine of sorts (e.g. TAS). Today that has changed to video.

On a side note, most of the individuals that I watch on youtube come across as pesonable, knowledgable and are entertaining to watch/listen to. It is clear why the TAS people are writers. (Because they can write) But when I watch the TAS videos these same writes come across as stilted with no video presance and are frankly hard to watch.

What rubs me the wrong way and I think a lot of people is the fact that high-end audio prices are on the luxury level and the service is on the big box store level. When something is not right with a $60K speaker upon delivery then the dealer/manufacturer needs to take care of the customer -- immediately! This lack of service is what drove the videos and controversy. If you don't want to get called out then step up and do the right thing.

There are a few dealers that do a good job of making sure the customer is happpy. e.g. flying out for the delivery and arranging professional setup. But this is pretty rare. There are some manufacturers who do a great job but many who don't. For example, I have had great experience with WIlson, YG, Pass and Vivid where something wasn't right and they took immediate action with little to no questioning.
Please watch the video , there is a reason that I posted it.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Do you think the content pertaining to Rockport is accurate? If it is, should people be told?

Scott Naylor

Mar 19, 2021
One area missed in this video is that many manufacturers demand that their dealers provide the full level of support, expertise, and service for their product no matter how much discounting price factors in selling their product. Price, Quality, Service - choose any TWO.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hyperion

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Price
Quality
Service

Choose any two.

I can tell you which two clients prefer to choose. Dealer service and experience is definitely not valued by the majority as people feel they can do it all themselves.

The sad part is, they often take dealer service in the form of advice and guidance and then turn to another dealer to purchase based off price. This is the reason many dealers get irritated when clients buy elsewhere. It isn't about 'ownership' as Jay puts it, but rather being taken advantage of as a dealer. You support a customer properly only to line another dealer's pocket for them being a mere point of sale. I'm not talking about a 20 minute phone call either - generally it is dozens of hours of investment on the dealer's part. 20 minutes is a sales call. Hours upon hours is an investment.

There are so many issues in the dealer/customer/reveiwer/influencer relationships in this industry that one thread cannot possibly address them all.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I have been very critical about some of the social media folks and their behavior and also for their lack of experience and their agenda driven rants. I believe that those who are selling gear and/or are associated with dealers or manufacturers ( this applies to review sites as well) are really doing more harm than good and are walking a very fine line in the ethics department. I believe that video is the present and the future for High End audio just as it is for almost every other product based industry. Knowledge is good and the easiest and fastest way to get that information out I also believe is a good thing. I was very disappointed by some of the IMO mean spirited attacks on manufacturers in some of these social media sites and the repression and insulting replies to questions and dissenting viewpoints. If you are going to discuss something and try to be a journalist then I believe it should be balanced and as fair as possible. OK my speech is over.
I saw this video this morning and thought it might be a very good place to have a discussion of some points that were made within it.
I am a lifer and audio is not only my joy but it is my business as well. All points of view are needed to improve the industry for all participants in all areas of the business and hobby. Knowledge is power.
Gentlemen the floor is yours:
I watched a video about the inferiority of vinyl by a guy that calls himself “OCD Mikey.” It was a complete piece of crap video that made me want to throw my phone in the toilet.

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I don't particularly like the OCD MIkey video's. He comes across as the guy who trashes every brand he does not sell and the stuff he sells is the best. Then when he no longer sells a particular brand he starts trashing it.

Reactions: lordcloud

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I don't particularly like the OCD MIkey video's. He comes across as the guy who trashes every brand he does not sell and the stuff he sells is the best. Then when he no longer sells a particular brand he starts trashing it.

I used to find it always quit funny when a dealer was trashing a competitor .
These days i hardly visit them anymore .
Audiobusiness is quit a funny business , some dealers in NL are looked upon almost like gurus with a bunch of disciples .
It reminds me a bit of the art business / snobby

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
You guys are skipping around the point I made. Was the content accurate. If so, does Rockport have any action they need to take? I'm not saying I am a fan of Jays, but did he say anything that is not true? Its like the wagons are circling the manufacturer without delving into details.

Reactions: Alrainbow

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I saw the rockport customer interview and it seems plausible , its something the manufacturer needs to solve with the dealer / customer

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I don't understand the gripe from this video. Welcome to the real world. This has been happening all along. Started when it was only brick and mortar. Some people are users that will do just that. Use your experience and buy elsewhere. It's part of the business.

You Tube is a minefield of crap. Who cares whats up there. I would never use a You Tube review as a basis to purchase anything.

As far as people being critical?? It's social media people say and do things they would never do or say in person.

Why would you expect anyone to be fair and balanced?? You are not talking a professional in journalism. Just someone with an opinion. Could be the next George Santos.

Rob :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

IMO when someone posts a video he should include a short summary sentence and why it is being posted. If the video lasts for more than three minutes, an indication of the time of the relevant section should be very welcome.

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
I support Magnepan which I dont sell... in a big way I may add... I support Aesthetix which I dont sell. MSB, Boulder, D'Agostino, Focal, McIntosh are among the oversold brands that I think are no longer a value... and I cant share that ?? Why ??

Reactions: panhead

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
I watched a video about the inferiority of vinyl by a guy that calls himself “OCD Mikey.” It was a complete piece of crap video that made me want to throw my phone in the toilet.
Come to my place there Jeff and weep at how digital shreds the ass out of your beloved vinyl... I consistently get Vinyl guys over here that applaud my rig and say if they hadn't spent $100K on their TT and vinyl collection they would never do it over again... You simply have not heard digital done right .... ask Dr. Vinyl.... He said 2 things that stuck out. 1. You need to charge admission for these demos 2. This is the first time Ive heard that Orchestral piece where the system can reproduce 100% of the Orchestra.. bottom to top with complete balance..... Not my words, ask Jose...

Last edited by a moderator:

Verastarr

Dec 4, 2015
I don't understand the gripe from this video. Welcome to the real world. This has been happening all along. Started when it was only brick and mortar. Some people are users that will do just that. Use your experience and buy elsewhere. It's part of the business.

You Tube is a minefield of crap. Who cares whats up there. I would never use a You Tube review as a basis to purchase anything.

As far as people being critical?? It's social media people say and do things they would never do or say in person.

Why would you expect anyone to be fair and balanced?? You are not talking a professional in journalism. Just someone with an opinion. Could be the next George Santos.

Rob :)
Hi Rob, Im simply curious. Do you think "Professional Journalists" paid by the same magazines that certain manufacturers pay for advertising are actually even able to say anything negative about a brand that pays for ads ?? Journalists are just that... hired writers.. they may be great at writing yet know nothing about room setup and component matching.. I just read a review in one of the most prominent audio mags, where the reviewer starts out by telling us he put a Corn Hole beanbag on top of the amp. then later says he made the amp worthy of review by using a AudioQuest entry level cable ..ROFL.. Then tells us his house is ungrounded and uses 2 prong receptacles.... These are the "Professional Journalists" of which you speak... YouTube gives guys with FAR more audio experience than the Journalists to make vids and reach the masses. Oh-Oh... Fox in the henhouse... and the hens sure get upset !! Weve got no Boss to listen to and we voice our truthful opinion.. Because of YouTube, Ive got World Class clients now because they can listen to my comparisons, and I open the gear up to show the build quality or lack thereof.. So there are words by journalists and proof by others... By the way, Ill be at AXPONA to say out loud everything Ive ever said on social media... Because I'm not faking.. I have a stand and an opinion, and it does not change based on whos paying me.. because the end users pay me and Im on their side.. I'm an advocate for the High End buyer..

• Haha
Reactions: Scott Naylor

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Use your real name, don’t hide behind a fake name.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Come to my place there Jeff and weep at how digital shreds the ass out of your beloved vinyl... I consistently get Vinyl guys over here that applaud my rig and say if they hadn't spent $100K on their TT and vinyl collection they would never do it over again... You simply have not heard digital done right .... ask Dr. Vinyl.... He said 2 things that stuck out. 1. You need to charge admission for these demos 2. This is the first time Ive heard that Orchestral piece where the system can reproduce 100% of the Orchestra.. bottom to top with complete balance..... Not my words, ask Jose...
Put your money where your mouth is toilet boy....
I really get a kick out of you guys. You’re really car audio guys: huge amps, inefficient speakers, brute force, etc. Money doesn’t = good, that’s what you’ll never understand. It’s takes skill and dedication to curate a record collection; match cartridge, arm, table, and phono stage. It’s the most difficult thing in audio, most people give up. And I don’t blame you for failing, most do.

My issue with you is that you denigrate vinyl; don’t trash something you’ve failed to master. I suck at golf, but I don’t trash the sport. I just acknowledge that I’ve failed to master a difficult task. Just like you’ve failed to properly set up an analog system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing