Shutter Island a must have

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Just watched Shutter Island with the wifey last night. I do not want to give anything away as this movie has more twists and turns than M. Night Shyamalan's hair. I will say that the release does justice to the subtleties of the cinematography that really is intrinsic to the story. Casting and Acting on a very, very high level.

Buy it. Keep it. Heck buy a spare :eek:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This movie didn't float my boat ... at all... I must say however the cinematography and acting were excellent .. Leonardo Di Caprio has steadily grown into a serious actor with full command of his craft ...

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It's good to know that someone else didn't like this movie. I am a huge Leo fan and think he is one of Hollywoods best and frequently teams with Scorcese

Like you Frantz, I was nonplussed about this film. My friends and family liked it immensely but for me I just didn't buy into it and found that the story line has been worked many times before with other terrific movies ( eg The Fight Club). I also found the plot somewhat similar in part to that of Inception (which BTW also left me flat.)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Definitely not a feel good movie but dang it had some riveting gut wrenching moments.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Shhhhhhhhh no spoilers Steve ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Want a spoiler my friend? Score The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo DVD for $4.99 at Best Buy. Starts slow but a pretty good movie if you're into foreign films. This one is Swedish.

Swedish woman, golf club, black SUV. Coincidence? ;) ;) ;)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well I am way OT here but last year I took my wife to see a British made film called Death At A Funeral which was quite funny. Even funnier was the rerelease last month of the exact movie with the same plot and the same title but with all African American actors. The script was virtually identical. I would love to know the behind the scenes answers as to why the rerelease

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
OT is always allowed in my threads.......I'm usually the first violator ;)

The brits make great comedies then you Americans make funnier versions, in my opinion at least. Three's Company and The Office come immediately to mind.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I loved this one too, Jack. I like Scorsese movies. He made some good ones with de Niro before and now a few with diCaprio. I like Ben Kingsley too so this one was very satisfying, from cast to plot. Watching the teaser trailer before I thought it was a ghost movie. Much better than I expected. A great psycho-thriller.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Went to get one at Fry's and they were out of stock! So at least the computer geek community loves the movie :D.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I liked this movie a lot, but unfortunately that does not make me a computer geek. Revealing a tragedy that otherwise fractures a worthy person is a classic, and I loved the throwback to the noir asylum films of the 50's.

I love atmospheric movies. The current "Wolfman" with Benicio Del Toro was fantastic with all of its gothic British drizzle, mists and manors. However, I can be a contrarian, I noticed that "Wolfman" was roundly panned by the critics.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, finally got a copy. I must say, it was excellent. Not perfect. Perfect would be 6th Sense :). But darn good. Didn't see the ending coming at all which is refreshing these days. Watching the extras was pretty educational and gave a new perspective on the movie. It lands on my Recommended list.

apples

Oct 31, 2010
I am a fan of Leonardo Dicaprio, but I have to say, I'm not sure this would be my kind of movie. All the references to M. Night Shayamalan really make me wonder. I M.N.S.'s films to be predictable and have steadily gone down hill since Signs.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is different yet again. I agree M. Night went downhill and fast but I found this refreshing and gripping from beginning to end.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing