The Great Gatsby

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
With the impending release of this film there now seem to be a plethora of trailers available for this film, something which always seems to forebode a less than stellar film. I must admit that I have been looking forward for months to seeing this film...

Now comes the first review..

'The Great Gatsby' Review: How Many Flappers Make a Flop?

By Alonso Duralde | The Wrap

F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" tells the story of a man with a shady past who is willing to waste countless millions of dollars in the pursuit of love and respect, so it's no surprise that the story has constantly proven to be catnip for people in the movie business.
Now making its fourth foray onto the big screen, under Baz Luhrmann's uniquely ADHD-fueled supervision, "The Great Gatsby" uses the unbridled excess of the Roaring Twenties as an excuse to unleash the unbridled excess of 21st century digital effects, but we're left with nothing but roar.

Yes, this 2013 "The Great Gatsby" offers its occasional breathless moments, when we can't quite believe that Luhrmann and his talented crew are going to turn this novel into a soaring, candy-colored phantasmagoria, but once his agenda of swooping camera movements and gleaming roadsters and anachronistic music takes full hold, there's nothing left to fall back on — not even Fitzgerald's prose, much of it quoted directly throughout, is enough to keep this adaptation from feeling like a stunningly expensive advertisement for the Brooks Brothers collection of "Gatsby"-inspired duds.
It's a story you know from reading the book, or at least the Cliff's Notes, in tenth grade: Ambitious young Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) comes to New York at the height of the 1920s stock market boom and settles into a bungalow in West Egg, a nouveau-riche section of Long Island. His mysterious neighbor Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) throws nightly bacchanals that attract all the movers and shakers of the day, but Nick comes to find out that they exist in the hopes of enticing one special guest: Nick's cousin and Gatsby's lost love Daisy (Carey Mulligan), who lives directly across the water from Gatsby in the East Egg estate of her rich rotter husband Tom Buchanan (Joel Edgerton).

Daisy loves Gatsby, and Gatsby has money, but he doesn't have the name or position or social power that her husband can offer, and ultimately, Gatsby will discover that no matter what hardships he survived in World War I or how popular his parties are, he's not equipped to swim the same waters as a preppy shark like Tom.
"The Great Gatsby" is an immortal American tragedy, but the story's impact gets completely buried in Luhrmann's flash and dazzle. While his spin on the adolescent angst of Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" and his over-the-top reimagining of fin de siècle Paris in "Moulin Rouge!" felt like an exciting blend of the classic and the contemporary — heck, even the de trop-itude of "Australia" could be forgiven, thanks to its cornball, old-Hollywood charms — this time out the Luhrmann touch feels more like a smudge, covering up the vitality of the original material.
It doesn't help that the cast feels like they're in different movies — and none of them are movies you'd particularly want to see. The blank and reactive Maguire and Mulligan are cast as the blank and reactive Nick and Daisy, the result being such a vortex of nothing that they threaten to disappear from the screen entirely. Edgerton perspires and chews the scenery in his best Snidely Whiplash manner, while DiCaprio has a fluctuating accent that often sounds like it's being delivered through a mouthful of marshmallows. DiCaprio's utterances of Gatsby's pet endearment "old sport" become more and more cringe-worthy with each repetition.
Luhrmann's style of filmmaking demands a pre-Actor's Studio brand of screen acting, but this bunch is incapable of providing a level of brassy artificiality that matches the movie's. Only newcomer Elizabeth Debicki, who comes off like a combination of Rashida Jones and Kristin Scott Thomas, displays any kind of flair or even an approximation of humanity.
Humanity is, in fact, in short supply here, with most of the supporting characters reduced to grotesque mugging and posturing. Luhrmann treats the people of color here like exotic furniture, shooting his African-Americans as though he were planning to turn them into Mammy cookie jars. It's a queasy situation only compounded by the bizarre casting of legendary Indian actor Amitabh Bachchan as Gatsby's unsavory associate Meyer Wolfshiem.
The cardinal sin of this new "Gatsby" is that it's dull, and say what you will about Luhrmann's previous movies, that's not an adjective that usually comes up. Here, sadly, you can hear the wheels of the plot grinding as loudly as Gatsby's custom Duesenberg.
This film marks the official moment in which Baz Luhrmann's signature style has become self-parody. So we beat on, boats against the current, jumping the shark.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
With the impending release of this film there now seem to be a plethora of trailers available for this film, something which always seems to forebode a less than stellar film. I must admit that I have been looking forward for months to seeing this film...

Now comes the first review..

By Alonso Duralde | The Wrap

F. Scott Fitzgerald's "The Great Gatsby" tells the story of a man with a shady past who is willing to waste countless millions of dollars in the pursuit of love and respect, so it's no surprise that the story has constantly proven to be catnip for people in the movie business.
Now making its fourth foray onto the big screen, under Baz Luhrmann's uniquely ADHD-fueled supervision, "The Great Gatsby" uses the unbridled excess of the Roaring Twenties as an excuse to unleash the unbridled excess of 21st century digital effects, but we're left with nothing but roar.

Yes, this 2013 "The Great Gatsby" offers its occasional breathless moments, when we can't quite believe that Luhrmann and his talented crew are going to turn this novel into a soaring, candy-colored phantasmagoria, but once his agenda of swooping camera movements and gleaming roadsters and anachronistic music takes full hold, there's nothing left to fall back on — not even Fitzgerald's prose, much of it quoted directly throughout, is enough to keep this adaptation from feeling like a stunningly expensive advertisement for the Brooks Brothers collection of "Gatsby"-inspired duds.
It's a story you know from reading the book, or at least the Cliff's Notes, in tenth grade: Ambitious young Nick Carraway (Tobey Maguire) comes to New York at the height of the 1920s stock market boom and settles into a bungalow in West Egg, a nouveau-riche section of Long Island. His mysterious neighbor Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio) throws nightly bacchanals that attract all the movers and shakers of the day, but Nick comes to find out that they exist in the hopes of enticing one special guest: Nick's cousin and Gatsby's lost love Daisy (Carey Mulligan), who lives directly across the water from Gatsby in the East Egg estate of her rich rotter husband Tom Buchanan (Joel Edgerton).

Daisy loves Gatsby, and Gatsby has money, but he doesn't have the name or position or social power that her husband can offer, and ultimately, Gatsby will discover that no matter what hardships he survived in World War I or how popular his parties are, he's not equipped to swim the same waters as a preppy shark like Tom.
"The Great Gatsby" is an immortal American tragedy, but the story's impact gets completely buried in Luhrmann's flash and dazzle. While his spin on the adolescent angst of Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet" and his over-the-top reimagining of fin de siècle Paris in "Moulin Rouge!" felt like an exciting blend of the classic and the contemporary — heck, even the de trop-itude of "Australia" could be forgiven, thanks to its cornball, old-Hollywood charms — this time out the Luhrmann touch feels more like a smudge, covering up the vitality of the original material.
It doesn't help that the cast feels like they're in different movies — and none of them are movies you'd particularly want to see. The blank and reactive Maguire and Mulligan are cast as the blank and reactive Nick and Daisy, the result being such a vortex of nothing that they threaten to disappear from the screen entirely. Edgerton perspires and chews the scenery in his best Snidely Whiplash manner, while DiCaprio has a fluctuating accent that often sounds like it's being delivered through a mouthful of marshmallows. DiCaprio's utterances of Gatsby's pet endearment "old sport" become more and more cringe-worthy with each repetition.
Luhrmann's style of filmmaking demands a pre-Actor's Studio brand of screen acting, but this bunch is incapable of providing a level of brassy artificiality that matches the movie's. Only newcomer Elizabeth Debicki, who comes off like a combination of Rashida Jones and Kristin Scott Thomas, displays any kind of flair or even an approximation of humanity.
Humanity is, in fact, in short supply here, with most of the supporting characters reduced to grotesque mugging and posturing. Luhrmann treats the people of color here like exotic furniture, shooting his African-Americans as though he were planning to turn them into Mammy cookie jars. It's a queasy situation only compounded by the bizarre casting of legendary Indian actor Amitabh Bachchan as Gatsby's unsavory associate Meyer Wolfshiem.
The cardinal sin of this new "Gatsby" is that it's dull, and say what you will about Luhrmann's previous movies, that's not an adjective that usually comes up. Here, sadly, you can hear the wheels of the plot grinding as loudly as Gatsby's custom Duesenberg.
This film marks the official moment in which Baz Luhrmann's signature style has become self-parody. So we beat on, boats against the current, jumping the shark.

Leonardo diCaprio was made for this character/role AND has the longest streak of phenomenal movies of any living actor (his last bad movie was the Beach in 2000), so I'd like to see it for myself before writing this one off.

Steve Williams

He may have to wait as long as Scorcese. Ironically, DiCaprio is Scorcese's new - post De Niro - wonderboy.

Not new at all. Leo has been for years. He helped Marty win his Oscar in The Departed

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
There was an interesting article in the Sunday Times about "The Great Gatsby'. This release is the 5th film version and the Times noted that none of them captured the essence of the book. The timelessness of the book derives from the prose, which is difficult to translate to film....

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Redford, Dern and Farrow couldn't save the 70's one not even with music by Nelson Riddle and a script by Coppola. Perhaps some books just really can't be adapted well or shouldn't.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Redford, Dern and Farrow couldn't save the 70's one not even with music by Nelson Riddle and a script by Coppola. Perhaps some books just really can't be adapted well or shouldn't.

I would think the plot and characters both lend themselves very well for tranfer to movie, but if two serious efforts failed I'm probably wrong.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
This comes to you from the guy who brought us Moulin Rouge and the hip hop Romeo and Juliet. So it will either be facinatingly stylized or cartoonish, depending on your tastes. I'll probably go see it, because Leo is very talented and F Scott is arguably the greatest writer or the 20th century, but I suspect I'll come away wishing Leo's other director, Scorcese, had been in charge. I found Luhrmann's Romeo & Juliet interesting once; couldn't even make it all the way through the second time.

Tim

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I saw one trailer, and from what I recall the music was not period music, which is a huge turn off to me, and almost a guarantee I will not like the movie.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The way I remember the novel is that it was able to show in prose how restrictive the caste system was at that time. That which Gatsby can't surmount despite all his money. If I were making an adaptation I don't see how I could do that visually without having to leave the physical settings in which the romantic part of the story takes place. One might take the liberty of having Carraway narrate from a much later era but this is a classic and we don't mess with classics. The roaring twenties are a bit of a historic blank swallowed up by the black hole that was the great depression. It's a tough era to relate to in the first place. Compare it with the excesses of the 70s and 90s and what they did back then pales to spring break parties on the wildness front and the lavish parties being held by today's eastern european billionaires. Gatsby's parties just don't have any shock factor anymore even with Luhrman's over the top style.

All just my opinion of course.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I'm with you Jack. I found the 70's one dull and in this review DULL seems to stick out again.

Steve Williams

Here's What F. Scott Fitzgerald Made From 'Gatsby' Film Rights in 1926

By: Aly Weisman, Business Insider

A handwritten ledger documenting author F. Scott Fitzgerald's film payments from 1919 through 1938 has been released online—shortly before the modern "Great Gatsby" movie adaptation opens in theaters May 10.

According to Fitzgerald's records, he sold the "Gatsby" film rights to Hollywood in 1926 for $16,666.

According to an inflation calculator, today that amount would be equal to $219,174.85.

Baz Luhrmann's upcoming "Gatsby" has a production budget estimated at $127 million alone, while the 1974 film starring Robert Redford and Mia Farrow has grossed $20,563,273 since its release.

Fitzgerald's Ledger documenting his film payments is part of the F Scott Fitzgerald collection in the Ernest F. Hollings Special Collections Library at the University of South Carolina in Columbia, S.C.

Steve Williams

One More Review....No one is liking it

By David Blaustein

Based on the classic F. Scott Fitzgerald novel of the same name, "The Great Gatsby" casts Tobey Maguire as Nick Carraway - and already Baz Luhrmann's film is at a deficit. Maguire, impressive and perfectly cast throughout most of his fantastic career, gets lost in Luhrmann's eye-popping, era-melding, grandiose narrative. It's odd, because Maguire's mere presence - his big, expressive eyes, his slight, everyman vulnerable physicality - almost always elicits empathy before he even opens his mouth. It's not working here.
When we meet Nick, he's not well. He's in therapy trying to deal with an experience that has changed his life, though it's not clear whether he's been institutionalized or is just being treated by a doctor in a building that's now the cinematic visual cliché of a mental institution. We learn some things about Mr. Carraway: he comes from a well-to-do family, seems to have fought in World War I, attended an Ivy League school, likes to write and like so many young men during the roaring 20s, tried to strike it rich as a bond salesman.
During one particular summer, Nick rents a bungalow on Long Island, New York, not far outside New York City and next door to an opulent mansion owned by a mysterious man named Jay Gatsby (Leonardo DiCaprio). The bungalow's located on West Egg, where all the people with new money live. Nick's cousin Daisy (Carrie Mulligan) and her husband, Tom (Joel Edgerton), Nick's old college classmate, live in East Egg, where all the old money is. One day, Nick glimpses Gatsby, and off we go.
Luhrmann's 3D, computer generated rendering of Long Island and New York City is gorgeous. In fact, Lurhmann's dreamscape aesthetic is "The Great Gatsby's" only real strength - and at the same time, its glaring weakness.
For instance, when we first meet Daisy, the doors open to a grand room filled with waves of beautiful white curtains billowing in the wind, seemingly permeating every part of the room, as if opening the doors to heaven. It's an indelible, stunning image. When the balcony doors are closed, the curtains gently drift to the floor to reveal Daisy, lollygagging on the couch with her friend, golf pro Jordan Baker (Elizabeth Debicki). Both Mulligan and Debicki are striking figures but after being treated to the fantastic spectacle that precedes them, who cares?
This is how Luhrmann completely undermines his own movie, and it is confounding. He's assembled an incredible and talented cast and then turned them into set pieces. Leonardo DiCaprio as Jay Gatsby is supposed to be the star of this movie but Luhrmann is so focused on immersing us in the sights and sounds of this fusion of eras he's created, DiCaprio is practically irrelevant.
DiCaprio gives it his best as the title character but this may be the only time his best won't do. Everything meant to make him an empathetic character is channeled into a flapper twerking in a backroom speakeasy, or a spectacular party scene in a New York City apartment featuring an unhinged Tobey Maguire and a track by Jay-Z, a scene that harkens back to Luhrmann's best movie, 2001's "Moulin Rouge!" These scenes are indeed entertaining moments - they just don't serve the story. Likewise, Jack White's soundtrack cover of U2's "Love Is Blindness" and Lana Del Rey's performance of "Young and Beautiful," both complementing the visuals, are viscerally moving yet ultimately frustrating - again, because none of it serves the story. Same goes for the 3D. Though stunning during the well-choreographed party scenes in Gatsby's ostentatious mansion, the effect mostly seems like an attempt to add depth to a film that desperately needs it.
While doing press for "The Great Gatsby," both Luhrmann and DiCaprio have discussed what it was like to read "The Great Gatsby" as an adult after first reading it in junior high school. The message is that after putting some tread on the proverbial tires of life, adults are better suited to grasp the complexities and subtleties of this particular literary masterpiece. Funny, then, how Luhrmann spoon feeds "Gatsby" to the audience through spectacular visuals and hip recording artists, and in the process blunts the story's emotional impact and meaning.
It pains me to take Luhrmann to task. I love this man's creative spirit and his desire to use every piece of technology and music to immerse his audience in what he apparently intends to be the best possible cinematic experience. But technology and music should serve the story, not the other way around. Like a singer whose performance is buried beneath layers of studio processing, with "The Great Gatsby," Luhrmann has essentially auto-tuned a classic piece of literature.

Two out of five stars.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
as they say, he's laughing all the way to the bank

I think he really cares about artistic recognition and his "legacy". After stashing away a certain amount of "F^*& you money", and bedding a certain number of super models, I think this stuff becomes increasingly important to great actors.

Steve Williams

Saw the film this afternoon and TBH I am glad I saw it. Very true to the book but as other reviewers have stated, the film is more about glitz and bling. I believe Baz' wife will be nominated for Costume Design

The film was 2 hours and 22 minutes but the story passed quickly. Many things were left to the imagination but Leonardo as always was strutting his stuff and played the role well (unless he utters the damn phrase "old sport" another 500 times). Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan was terrific. I still can't see Tobey Maguire playing an adult role as the only actor I still see as a kid (other than Leo, although he is growing up).

For those who have read or studied the book, I would say that of all of the adaptations of the book this one could be the best even if it is a mediocre film

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Saw the film this afternoon and TBH I am glad I saw it. Very true to the book but as other reviewers have stated, the film is more about glitz and bling. I believe Baz' wife will be nominated for Costume Design

The film was 2 hours and 22 minutes but the story passed quickly. Many things were left to the imagination but Leonardo as always was strutting his stuff and played the role well (unless he utters the damn phrase "old sport" another 500 times). Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan was terrific. I still can't see Tobey Maguire playing an adult role as the only actor I still see as a kid (other than Leo, although he is growing up).

For those who have read or studied the book, I would say that of all of the adaptations of the book this one could be the best even if it is a mediocre film

Wow. Rolling Stone, whose accuracy for me in film ratings is pretty high, destroyed it. Gave it one star.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing