The Great Gatsby

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Saw the film this afternoon and TBH I am glad I saw it. Very true to the book but as other reviewers have stated, the film is more about glitz and bling. I believe Baz' wife will be nominated for Costume Design

The film was 2 hours and 22 minutes but the story passed quickly. Many things were left to the imagination but Leonardo as always was strutting his stuff and played the role well (unless he utters the damn phrase "old sport" another 500 times). Carey Mulligan as Daisy Buchanan was terrific. I still can't see Tobey Maguire playing an adult role as the only actor I still see as a kid (other than Leo, although he is growing up).

For those who have read or studied the book, I would say that of all of the adaptations of the book this one could be the best even if it is a mediocre film
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/the-great-gatsby-20130509

There may be worse movies this summer than The Great Gatsby, but there won't be a more crushing disappointment.

Soundproof

Jan 13, 2012
Oslo, Norway
Luhrmann's always been sets&flash over story. IMO it worked in Romeo&Juliet and Moulin Rouge, both being entertaining takes, though La Traviata will never recover from having gotten the Luhrmann treatment.
The Great Gatsby is a very sensitive work, that plays on the mind's rapport with the words. Not convinced Luhrmann's the one to do that, in spite of his having become fascinated with the story during a trip with the Trans Siberian Express.
Think I'll read the book, again.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
My comments yesterday as to why I enjoyed seeing the film was it's ability to take me back some 50 years when I read the book. I do agree with your comment of the Luhrmann treatment as there were parts yesterday that reminded me of Moulin Rouge when his camera shot from one part of the city to the other. So also in Gatsby I felt the same as Baz did the same between the two houses across the Bay, one being that of Daisy and Tom and the other being that of Gatsby.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing