Shunyata omega Ethernet cable

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
i am simple stunned by the performance of this cable. I have it installed btwn the wall Ethernet outlet and the Innuos Phoenix switch. Its a huge difference in clarity, attack well everything. It’s startling. How the hell can a Ethernet cable make this much of a difference is beyond me. The difference is liken to a really bad recording to the absolute best. It defies logic.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
What were you using before? a computer grade, off the shelf type? This does not surprise me what you are reporting...

Reactions: cpvniii

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Yes
What were you using before? a computer grade, off the shelf type? This does not surprise me what you are reporting...
Yes a decent cable but not audiophile. There is 60 feet of Bilden style cable ahead of this. Why would the last 3 feet make this kind off change?

ps love the rockports

Last edited:
Reactions: aangen

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Hugh: The last meter is the most significant part/length in eliminating noise, albeit RFI/EMI. I also had long lengths of ethernet before reconfiguring. I was also astounded when I concentrated on that last meter from my switch (cheap switches) with good quality ethernet to streamer. I now use M12 gold switch, with Signature Gold to streamer. Hoping this all works out when Taiko arrives...

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hugh: The last meter is the most significant part/length in eliminating noise, albeit RFI/EMI. I also had long lengths of ethernet before reconfiguring. I was also astounded when I concentrated on that last meter from my switch (cheap switches) with good quality ethernet to streamer. I now use M12 gold switch, with Signature Gold to streamer. Hoping this all works out when Taiko arrives...
Thanks John. I am a old software guy. So all i think about is 1 and 0 and with all the error correction going that networks have. I never had to worry about packet loss etc in the Oracle systems i worked with. Its confusing to me when jitter/time domain etc come into play which I guess some of this is. My thought was as long as the packets arrive intact all is good.

congrats on the taiko, i will look into that later in the year

Last edited:

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Hugh: For many years I have thought the same. Also, I have gotten into heated discussions about this. 1's and 0's is typically what is said and I get it. I don't claim to be a technical savant in any stretch! (unless its winemaking) But when you hear the difference it throws a wrench into those "well established cogs of thought"

Reactions: HughP3

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I was with Hugh listening to the Omega A/B on Thursday. It was not a subtle difference. Impressive cable!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
HughP3, I'd have to agree with John T. It's hard to imagine the last few feet, but you obviously can hear it. Same goes for power cords.

I use Transparent Ethernet cables and had the same reaction as your brand. You may also try this little gizmo:

https://www.transparentcable.com/co...protection/products/plug-in-network-protector for $155 you can't beat it. I have no idea about he surge part of it, but it also removes noise, my dealer brought one by and I swear I couldn't listen to digital (ethernet sources) again until mine came in. If you don't have the same experience return it...

Reactions: Lee

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
HughP3, I'd have to agree with John T. It's hard to imagine the last few feet, but you obviously can hear it. Same goes for power cords.

I use Transparent Ethernet cables and had the same reaction as your brand. You may also try this little gizmo:
https://www.transparentcable.com/co...protection/products/plug-in-network-protector for $155 you can't beat it. I have no idea about he surge part of it, but it also removes noise, my dealer brought one by and I swear I couldn't listen to digital (ethernet sources) again until mine came in. If you don't have the same experience return it...
Thanks for the tip! Definitely Will try one of those.

In addition, My bud @Lee brought over a Shunyata Everest to try a few days ago. Last night did a With/without on the Commander Pre. Significant improvement in bass and overall clarity. Will be ordering one soon. Another must have.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
The Commander benefited by the Everest Conditioner, Vs direct? Were any other components running with Everest? If your happy with Torus, wouldn't the RM 20 suffice just for the Commander? When you installed your Torus 60 amp wall mount, was your grounding system enhanced or fortified? AKA another ground rod, enhancement material, or do you have a 2nd meter? Sorry for all the questions, just attempting to get a clear understanding.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
If your steel building is relatively new I imagine you have a 2nd meter for the building. If in fact this is true, and if they just drove a ground rod in the ground for what I imagine is a 200amp service. You can perhaps quiet things down if the ground rod/rods were installed with ground enhancement material. Different soil compositions create different resistance. Rock, sandy, not good. If you were in Ireland or Scotland, peat is best! LOL! This accomplishes 2 things, lowers resistance, and creates consistent resistance through out the year. Different seasons or conditions will effect the ohms. Fluctuation. With enhancement material, its mixed with water an poured around the electrode. If you can get that resistance 5 - 10 ohms or lower, it will have a very positive effect on the power coming into the building. Auger two holes 8' deep, # 4 copper wires to create the bridge, rods have to be spaced 10' apart, and have the # 4 wire encased with the same enhancement material. A little grounding tutorial! Hope it helps...John

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
The Commander benefited by the Everest Conditioner, Vs direct? Were any other components running with Everest? If your happy with Torus, wouldn't the RM 20 suffice just for the Commander? When you installed your Torus 60 amp wall mount, was your grounding system enhanced or fortified? AKA another ground rod, enhancement material, or do you have a 2nd meter? Sorry for all the questions, just attempting to get a clear understanding.
My initial feelings were, but I have a Taurus unit, How could the Everest make any difference? Well it did.

i have a split system. 100 amps to my shop next door and 100 amps to the building. a single meter. I had the electrician pay special attention to the grounding but he was a code follower. The building itself is grounded both with a typical big grounding rod. The Pre shares the circuit with an ifi power adapter for the wireless hub and power to the a mono side of apex amp and 1 active tower woofer. I picked these to share that outlet instead of the dac, innuos server and pheonix switch. I have not tried plugging in the dac and server components yet to see if i get another up tick.

Last edited:

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
If your steel building is relatively new I imagine you have a 2nd meter for the building. If in fact this is true, and if they just drove a ground rod in the ground for what I imagine is a 200amp service. You can perhaps quiet things down if the ground rod/rods were installed with ground enhancement material. Different soil compositions create different resistance. Rock, sandy, not good. If you were in Ireland or Scotland, peat is best! LOL! This accomplishes 2 things, lowers resistance, and creates consistent resistance through out the year. Different seasons or conditions will effect the ohms. Fluctuation. With enhancement material, its mixed with water an poured around the electrode. If you can get that resistance 5 - 10 ohms or lower, it will have a very positive effect on the power coming into the building. Auger two holes 8' deep, # 4 copper wires to create the bridge, rods have to be spaced 10' apart, and have the # 4 wire encased with the same enhancement material. A little grounding tutorial! Hope it helps...John
Food definitely for thought or may just call it a day with the Everest. Thanks for the how to.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I have a clearer picture now Hugh. If you can find someone with an ohm meter, I would be curious of what resistance reading you get at the rod. Its certainly within code and in some areas mandatory to have 2 rods. I started questioning my sanity when I re installed my grounding system! I still do! Good luck with everything, these things can be fickle when looking for perfection...

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I have a clearer picture now Hugh. If you can find someone with an ohm meter, I would be curious of what resistance reading you get at the rod. Its certainly within code and in some areas mandatory to have 2 rods. I started questioning my sanity when I re installed my grounding system! I still do! Good luck with everything, these things can be fickle when looking for perfection...
I have a multi meter. How do I connect? Not used that for ohm stuff yet. I dont have the instructions anymore (could google) Thanks

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Lee can't really use a multi meter. An ohm meter has a circular "claw like end" that go's around the ground rod. Fluke makes this type of meter look at model 1630-2 FC Earth, my electric company had one. Hope this helps...John

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Ahh yes those are pricey, cheapest is $300 on up to $$$$. Not worth buying for a one time. Will see how much my electrician will charge

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Yes they are expensive, and rarely does an electrician have one. If I had one I would let you borrow it Hugh. As indicated My electric company had one. Maybe you can call your electric company? I hooked up with a very cool division of my electric company, here in NC, they put a recorder on the meter that measured THD, voltage fluctuation, among a few other things. They did this for a month. The area where my ground rods are driven was built up when I built my house. It had a big slope, so it was filled in with a substrate that was crushed up rock, NOT IDEAL. My intention is to auger a hole, typical Ground rods 5/8 by 8'. I will come off of the 2nd rod with 4awg at least 10-15' away. The rod is inserted in the hole and ground enhancement material is mixed up and poured around the rod. The two rods that are in the ground now were just driven in, by me! Not easy! I found out about the ground enhancement material after I installed the two new rods. Their are several companies that make this material, I'm using a product called GEM. I'm trying to convince the building inspector to allow me to have a 2nd meter on my house (its not going well). In that case I would have a completely separate line from the transformer, to a meter, to panel, and a separate independent grounding system. I'm not optimistic this will happen.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Yes they are expensive, and rarely does an electrician have one. If I had one I would let you borrow it Hugh. As indicated My electric company had one. Maybe you can call your electric company? I hooked up with a very cool division of my electric company, here in NC, they put a recorder on the meter that measured THD, voltage fluctuation, among a few other things. They did this for a month. The area where my ground rods are driven was built up when I built my house. It had a big slope, so it was filled in with a substrate that was crushed up rock, NOT IDEAL. My intention is to auger a hole, typical Ground rods 5/8 by 8'. I will come off of the 2nd rod with 4awg at least 10-15' away. The rod is inserted in the hole and ground enhancement material is mixed up and poured around the rod. The two rods that are in the ground now were just driven in, by me! Not easy! I found out about the ground enhancement material after I installed the two new rods. Their are several companies that make this material, I'm using a product called GEM. I'm trying to convince the building inspector to allow me to have a 2nd meter on my house (its not going well). In that case I would have a completely separate line from the transformer, to a meter, to panel, and a separate independent grounding system. I'm not optimistic this will happen.
That is heroic! Curious if you can do an A/B? Thanks agaib for the information.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee can't really use a multi meter. An ohm meter has a circular "claw like end" that go's around the ground rod. Fluke makes this type of meter look at model 1630-2 FC Earth, my electric company had one. Hope this helps...John

How dare you assume what meters I can use!

;)

• Haha
Reactions: HughP3

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing