Shunyata DENALI

Question for Grant or Caelin:

Does the Denali function similar to the Typhon such that:
- it takes up to 5 days to gain full performance?
- plugging it into the same quadplex but without anything plugged into it - it would increase performance in the other 3 outlets?

Thanks!

Question for Grant or Caelin:

Does the Denali function similar to the Typhon such that:
- it takes up to 5 days to gain full performance?
- plugging it into the same quadplex but without anything plugged into it - it would increase performance in the other 3 outlets?

Thanks!

Hi,

The Denali's general performance and affect on a circuit should be fairly self-evident almost straight away. After being shipped, there will likely be some performance gains after the initial plug-in but they would not be profound. The Hydra Denali models will have an obvious, measurable parallel affect on any circuit it's plugged into--as our you-tube measurement video demonstrates. The Typhon is different in the sense that there is a mild break in process and its effect comes on rather gradually, over the course of an hour or so after being added to a circuit.

All that said, power conditioners of any type will affect the entire circuit they are plugged into in one way or another. That is why I always remind dealers, professionals and customers to remove ours, or a competitive brand from the circuit when testing the other. Mixing and matching different brands of signal cable may work for the benefit of a system from time to time. Mixing and matching properly designed power-system elements with other approaches, in my experience, not so much.

Thanks. I hope this is of some help.

Grant

Hi,

The Denali's general performance and affect on a circuit should be fairly self-evident almost straight away. After being shipped, there will likely be some performance gains after the initial plug-in but they would not be profound. The Hydra Denali models will have an obvious, measurable parallel affect on any circuit it's plugged into--as our you-tube measurement video demonstrates. The Typhon is different in the sense that there is a mild break in process and its effect comes on rather gradually, over the course of an hour or so after being added to a circuit.

All that said, power conditioners of any type will affect the entire circuit they are plugged into in one way or another. That is why I always remind dealers, professionals and customers to remove ours, or a competitive brand from the circuit when testing the other. Mixing and matching different brands of signal cable may work for the benefit of a system from time to time. Mixing and matching properly designed power-system elements with other approaches, in my experience, not so much.

Thanks. I hope this is of some help.

Grant

Grant,

Thank you so much for the speedy and very informative reply!

Ian

Ok Grant, lets cut to the chase because its very unclear:

Mono blocks, each on a dedicated line. Which is better: 2 Typhons, one on each amp's unused outlet or Denali 2000's in place of the Typhons?

Ok Grant, lets cut to the chase because its very unclear:

Mono blocks, each on a dedicated line. Which is better: 2 Typhons, one on each amp's unused outlet or Denali 2000's in place of the Typhons?

I'm not a big 'cut to the chase' guy with regards to these things because of differences in systems, electrical contexts and perception, but if I am recommending a product to someone with a reference system and dedicated lines, I tend to favor the less expensive option that will have a rather unequivocal, positive impact on an amps, or system's performance. The 2000T's have performed very well in that regard.

On the other hand, If I am talking to an existing Typhon owner who is wondering about making a change to the 2000T for performance reasons, I would probably discourage the switch without first performing a very careful home trial of the 2000T. The Typhon and Denali 2000T do slightly different things (one is a massive parallel device, the other an in-series device) within a given system and do not use the same internal technology.

The Hydra Denali feedback has been uniformly positive, so I won't hesitate to recommend those first because of the lower price. I've had few if any complaints regarding the Typhon's performance since its inception. Typhon's affect the entire circuit without any contact with an amp, which some prefer conceptually, so that product remains very popular with those that have evaluated them with their amps. No products I know of are universally successful and both of these products are very unique, so it's difficult to make any categorical statement this early in a product's life-cycle regarding the 2000T.

My apologies for not being more definitive, but few things in this hobby from our experience, ever are.

Best regards,

Grant

Last edited:
Grant,

Are AudioArk the only dealer in Alberta Canada? I'd prefer someone in Calgary.

I picked up a Denali 2000T and Venom PS-8 along with a couple HC cords.

Since i run only a single Devialet D200 I have it direct into the Denali and the PS-8 plugged into the other Denali socket. TV, Xbox One, phono preamp, turntable, router and cable modem are plugged into the PS-8.

Is this the optimal method or should the PS-8 go direct to wall? When listening to music, 99.999% digital, only rhe router and cable modem are actually on at the same time as the Devialet.

Dr.Tone,

Could you give me your thoughts on the Denali? I am using a Devialet D200 too and am considering a Denali for power conditioning.

I picked up a Denali 2000T and Venom PS-8 along with a couple HC cords.

Since i run only a single Devialet D200 I have it direct into the Denali and the PS-8 plugged into the other Denali socket. TV, Xbox One, phono preamp, turntable, router and cable modem are plugged into the PS-8.

Is this the optimal method or should the PS-8 go direct to wall? When listening to music, 99.999% digital, only the router and cable modem are actually on at the same time as the Devialet.

As I mull it over in my head, I'm starting to think the right solution would be PS-8 direct into the wall and the phono pre should be moved to the Denali. The phono pre is the only item I consider important enough to be plugged into the Denali that is currently on the PS-8.

My current power setup includes two Spectral mono blocks, floated and plugged into a separate circuit, with a Spectral preamp on another circuit, shared with DPC-6. PS8 is on yet another circuit. The PS8 is handling most of my digital dongles with the DPC handling both Berkeley units, MacMini and WD USB drive, Sonore Signature LPS (for microRendu) and a Synergistic Research Transporter (doling out DC for active cables).

The Spectral gear direct to wall has been at the recommendation of dealers and Spectral itself. Wondering if I would benefit in using Denali at all. And I'm still unclear at what the Denali brings to the table vis a vis existing Hydra technology.

The Spectral gear direct to wall has been at the recommendation of dealers and Spectral itself. Wondering if I would benefit in using Denali at all.

Tremendous benefit from running all my source components (including Spectral preamp) through a Denali, while having my Spectral amp powered directly off the wall on a separate dedicated circuit. A friend who heard the improvement called it a "quantum leap". Another said my system is "one of the quietest systems" he's ever heard.

Interesting result. But given that I already have the DPC-6, and would consider the Denali if I really needed a couple of high current output connections, I'll stick with the DPC-6. Might see if using one of the DPC-6 connections for the preamp and move the hard drive dongle to the PS8.

I'm still unclear how the Denali differs technically from the prior Hydra Triton 2. I know that the DPC-6 is the best at keeping the digital grunge from the rest of the system.

Interesting result. But given that I already have the DPC-6, and would consider the Denali if I really needed a couple of high current output connections, I'll stick with the DPC-6. Might see if using one of the DPC-6 connections for the preamp and move the hard drive dongle to the PS8.

I'm still unclear how the Denali differs technically from the prior Hydra Triton 2. I know that the DPC-6 is the best at keeping the digital grunge from the rest of the system.

I can't speak on the Triton V2 personally as I own the V1. However, I just took in a Denali 6000T as a demo from the dealer to try out in my system.. I'm debating either a Denali 6000T or upgrading my Triton direct via Shunyata's upgrade program. I'll post some feedback as I do so listening and comparisons against my Triton V1.

I can't speak on the Triton V2 personally as I own the V1. However, I just took in a Denali 6000T as a demo from the dealer to try out in my system.. I'm debating either a Denali 6000T or upgrading my Triton direct via Shunyata's upgrade program. I'll post some feedback as I do so listening and comparisons against my Triton V1.

My concern is that I wouldn't think it suitable to connect the Spectral preamp to the DPC-6. However, none of the Denali options offers 3 high current receptacles for the two mono blocks and preamp. I guess I'll need to bring home a unit to see how much I'd benefit by putting the Denali between the amps and the wall. And that also applies to the preamp.

When will the Denali series be released in Europe (The Netherlands)? Very interested how they will perform with Devialet 400 (double mono) and external Digital source using my current Shunyata powercords and the new Delta or Alpha powercords that should be released in Europe soon I hope.

My concern is that I wouldn't think it suitable to connect the Spectral preamp to the DPC-6. However, none of the Denali options offers 3 high current receptacles for the two mono blocks and preamp. I guess I'll need to bring home a unit to see how much I'd benefit by putting the Denali between the amps and the wall. And that also applies to the preamp.

Steve, Do you have a dedicated circuit for those amps? If so, perhaps try the Denali 2000 for just the amps? I guess just a matter of trial and error to see what works best in your setup.

Steve, Do you have a dedicated circuit for those amps? If so, perhaps try the Denali 2000 for just the amps? I guess just a matter of trial and error to see what works best in your setup.

Yes I do. The amps are on their own 20amp circuit, as is the pre-amp. After speaking quite recently with people I trust who sell, install, and have used/tested the Denali with Spectral gear, I'll take a pass. Seems their collective experience is that Shunyata Denali and Spectral do not seem to be happy together. Seems the results, as against just plugging into the wall, is that the sound is compressed. Have yet to get more details on what other aspects of sonics were "compromised".

Hi Steve,

Great system you have there.

I've spoken with many Spectral amp/pre-amp owners since the Denali release. This is in part, because we share common US dealer accounts with Spectral; Music Lovers in SF, Goodwins in Waltham Mass. and Overture in Delaware are all dealers of ours, so many people have run Denali 2000T's with amps, or on the 6000 model's HC outlets. Based on my customer feedback, those that have tried the combination, all that I am aware of purchased the products. It's more than a few.

As always, there is context--what's the system, how many dedicated lines if any? Which outlets on the Denali are being used for what? ... etc. In no way would I ever promote the Denali or any other product we manufacture as beyond reproach or the perfect fit for every system because systems and listeners are all different. Anyone that takes the time to talk with me about their system and our products knows this. Still, we have a special talent for electrical design that compliments electronics. This is not similar to "flavors" of different signal cable that work well with some systems and listeners and not others. Electrical (thankfully) is very much, more black and white.

I know Spectral gear and customers that own it, well. What you mention sounds out of place with my experience in talking to Spectral owners that have evaluated and then and purchased Denali products. Denali's are passive products with a minimal electrical signature-- minimal impedance, reactance and resistance etc. The result has been very consistent feedback regardless of the system -- but sure, there could always be a context where there could be another preference.

Any talk of "compression" is the polar-opposite of the feedback I've received and what's been mentioned in reviews and on forums, so this is the first i've seen feedback like that. If there is legitimate feedback of that nature, I'm interested to know of it specifically, so I can understand the result. Feel free to call or e-mail me if I can be of any help.

Best regards,

Grant

Yes I do. The amps are on their own 20amp circuit, as is the pre-amp. After speaking quite recently with people I trust who sell, install, and have used/tested the Denali with Spectral gear, I'll take a pass. Seems their collective experience is that Shunyata Denali and Spectral do not seem to be happy together. Seems the results, as against just plugging into the wall, is that the sound is compressed. Have yet to get more details on what other aspects of sonics were "compromised".

Personally, I would only use the Typhon in parallel with Spectral, which is what I have done; in general, "mild"/innocuous parallel filters only. But I have not tested the Denali. I find the Spectral amps especially way, way too finicky. I was at Innovative recently, and they claimed they've had electrical problems in one of their re-done rooms exposed by the 400RS amps, not by any other, including the 300RS stereo; so the amps helped them fix it. So context is really key here, but again, the 400RS amps are the most finicky amps I have ever seen regarding power, cables, what drives them, how they are grounded, etc.

Last edited:
What I find interesting is that some Spectral dealers, and they even offer Shunyata, swear by MIT technology for power line -- when Spectral gear comes into play. Like the Z-strip as you use, or possibly Power Bar. And many seem to agree that floating the amplifiers while grounding the preamp and plugging all Spectral gear directly into the wall is the way to go.

It would seem to be a bit of a crap shoot. Each environment poses its own set of issues, and given we're dealing with a "system" of gear all wired together the interaction among components, the potential for circuit distances from circuit breaker mains, even outdoor grounding, can have a noticeable role.

And as with your Phelps, it's a matter of taste. Personally more of a red Zin or Rhone Ranger guy...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing