SET amp owners thread

How did you like the (modded) AirScouts?
What is all modded apart from relocating the JBL tweeter and adding a super tweeter?

external crossover. All mods by Kevin.

Reactions: christoph
Had a good day yesterday with Kedar and the host of the system Jeff, its always nice to hear someone else's system and a first for me to hear an all Kondo system outside of Munich, it was also a first for me to hear these speakers. I felt that the speakers did a great job on the tone of instruments, the trumpets on the Alternate Blues Pablo album was excellent, the classical records we played I am not that familiar with.

The next stop on the amp comparison tour will be to see Bill and his Pnoe's

Btw, this M7 and Neiro are from the original, Kondo San himself

Reactions: christoph
tried both...preferred V in my room, but ended up selling the Trios
I replaced the cheap Community M200 drivers with TAD 4001 mids and the crossovers were redone.........the midbasshorns sang along to over 2K!
messed around with Trio for 12 years before I started on my present setup

Hi chaps, I'm a newbie and this is my first post. This is an interesting post, Lee Henley and I have been mates for around 5 years and I was a normal hifi dude before I walked into his listening room, now look at me :)

Hi chaps, I'm a newbie and this is my first post. This is an interesting post, Lee Henley and I have been mates for around 5 years and I was a normal hifi dude before I walked into his listening room, now look at me :)

Hi, are you Craig with the AN 2a3 standard gain? Is the Audio Detail valve pre in your signature the 101d preamp?

Hi, are you Craig with the AN 2a3 standard gain? Is the Audio Detail valve pre in your signature the 101d preamp?
Hi, yes I'm the guy with the standard gain AN Empress, the Audio Detail is the standard pre he does but he's going to upgrade caps etc for me. I have only had the amps since Sunday and so far I'm really blown away :cool:

Reactions: Lee Henley
the Audio Detail is the standard pre he does but he's going to upgrade caps etc for me. I have only had the amps since Sunday and so far I'm really blown away :cool:

Ok, that's the one with the Marconi 12AT7W and 6N1P. I love his 101d pre, it is so transparent and musical.

• Love
Reactions: Beckola66

Welcome to WBF, Beckola66!

• Love
Reactions: Beckola66
You could say I’ve cost you a small fortune in that 5 years lol

At Bill’s, experimenting with Audio Detail GM70 and 300b and comparing to existing 801a amp. The 70 was excellent, very transparent and gets the musical lines with letting out just flow. those who listen to my also heard this on recent hORNs universum videosView attachment 104000

View attachment 103999

Dava on the horning SATI Dynavector arm, vdh master strad on SME V on a TD160 that Bill put a wooden plinth on.

the white horn colour integrates very well with the light floor and light wall colour and the glass door

View attachment 104001
A Horning Sati TT! Never seen one in the wild.

At Bill’s, experimenting with Audio Detail GM70 and 300b and comparing to existing 801a amp. The 70 was excellent, very transparent and gets the musical lines with letting out just flow. those who listen to my also heard this on recent hORNs universum videosView attachment 104000

View attachment 103999

Dava on the horning SATI Dynavector arm, vdh master strad on SME V on a TD160 that Bill put a wooden plinth on.

the white horn colour integrates very well with the light floor and light wall colour and the glass door

View attachment 104001
I’ve never seen a Horning Sati turntable in the wild. Amazing.
I have a pair of his original Algame speakers.
0687E3E1-6DB1-4D65-BBDB-6B2812A79693.jpeg

View attachment 104621
Can you describe what you hear with those speakers? I have been curious about them for a long time.

I ran a pair of Agathon Ultimates for a while, really fine transducers with a prodigious presence due to the internal folded horn married to an adapted DX4 and a Horning wave guide tweeter … A most lovely finish on your Algame’s @n+1

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab

View attachment 104621
I heard a pair of these at a show and was really blown away. Congratulations, you have one of the better high efficiency speakers I’ve ever heard. What amp do you use?

Reactions: morricab
So, yesterday I compared the GM70 you heard in Bill's system the Kondo Neiro 2a3 in the Living Voice Air Scout system I posted about earlier, where I had compared the Audio Note Empress Silver 2a3. As you can see from the below video, totally different sound to the one you hear in Bill's video. This is only a 15 x 12 room.

In Bill's video you heard the Graphite tube, here we preferred the Copper tube. We still have to try the copper at Bill's.

Essentially, with the copper tube the Audio Detail GM70 amp had the Kondo tone, rich with texture, but more oomph, bass, agility in violin inflections ,and more dynamic range. The Graphite is more transparent and even punchier, but on the 105db speaker with the Graphite, the bass becomes too much, we have to lower the volume for the bass, and the highs then get compressed. With Copper, it falls into balance.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing