Lampizator Horizon direct to power amp vs. with pre amp

Lobster

Feb 4, 2021
Being mentioned here and there, this subject deserves its own thread.

Horizon owners, do or did you own a pre amp that Horizon was able to match or surpass? Any pre amps out there that outperform Horizon's volume control?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I use H into Tobian SC12 DHT preamp and prefer it that way vs directly into Nagra VPA. Far away that I don't like direct option as it gives a tad more dynamics and sparkle into the sound but via Tobian I just get another level of musicality and palpability into the picture without any deficit. Also it enables me to play with finding the optimal gain between pre and H output as I'm not using "pass through" ie 63 on the display but rather range between 50-55 and open more the vol pot on the pre - something which I advise everyone to try and play a bit as the sonic gain might be very nice...
But overall could I live (and save very nice amount of $$$$) without pre - oh yes...but having it and hearing it...well it can't be unheard...

John T

Feb 15, 2022
In my system way more refinement with a preamp. And as @Golum referenced more control with gain. When you first go direct with any good DAC you think WOW! I've been missing out. But you soon realize, too much...That's with my ears. I know others who love it direct. So what ever sounds good to YOU...

Famester

VIP/Donor
Apr 6, 2017
Central Florida - Orlando
When I first received my Horizon, I put it through my Conrad Johnson ET7S2 pre-amp and yes, it did improve the SQ by a significant amount, but the CJ is SE and not XLR and luckily my amps will accept both.
Then I started tube rolling and that brought the Horizon alone to surpass the SQ level with the original tubes and the CJ pre.
Now I will try the Horizon with the new tubes AND the CJ pre to see where that takes me. I haven't tried this yet but will do in the next few days.
Fred

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I am an all tube system so matching preamp to amp is paramount for me

Like Golum the sound in my system using a matching preamp far out performs the Horizon. using it's own gain control

Reactions: Lobster

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I havent yet tried a preamp. I have only gone direct. Saving the money of a preamp was great and i have no issues. I do hope to have a comparative listen one day though!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing