Seoul Audio Show

caesar

May 30, 2010
View attachment 105468

I had been to Seoul Audio Show 2023 on March 4th.

I had lot of fun there.

To make long story short, there are several nice turntables which give much more musical sound than digital source.

The best speaker at the show is MBL 101E Mark 2 which really impressed me with organic details, all around soundstage and natural dynamics.

The last time that I had listened to MBl radial speaker was at CES Las Vegas on 2008.

At that time, it sounded beautiful but not with well balanced bass or dynamics.

But this time I almost got shocked.

Lot of other things to report but I need time for organization. :)

Hello Thomas,
Thank you for sharing the highlights from Seoul! The system does sound excellent, as you describe!

As a long time MBL owner, I assure you that if they removed the grills from the speakers, it would enhance greatly everything the system does to a much greater extent. I know several MBL owners, and no one listens with the grills on.

Also, I can't tell for certain, but the amps look like the 9008 amps from the Reference line. If one were to use 4 of them, instead of 2, the listeners would get even more transparency, separation, and dynamics. And if they were to use 4 9011 amps, from the Reference line, one would get near-horn type dynamics.

In addition, it seems like they are using the DAC from the Noble line (just below Reference line). However, the Reference DAC is even more natural and organic. I know having newer DACs is a thing of pride for audophiles, but the MBL Reference DAC competes with, and in my opinion, destroys MSB select, dcs vivaldi, and other hyped up audiophile favorite DACs. Jurgen Reis really knows what he is doing.

Finally, if you ever make it to a show in the US, the MBL north america team brings a whole truck full of SMT products to the shows with them, to assure the ultimate setup of the MBL and to remove the hotel room out of the equation as much as possible. MBL constantly wins best of show awards, and the room is always packed. So the sound is highly likely to exceed what you have experienced.

Thank you again and safe travels

Reactions: thomask

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The most musical sound is from Blumenhofer horn speaker driven by Airtight Pre and power amp using latest Kronos turntable.

View attachment 105478

It sounds natural and musical to my ears.

Nice amps and speaker also contribute to it.

But Kronos discovery turntable is the main culprit, ;)

During Pacific audiofest 2022, I like the sound out of Big Genesis driven by Merril Audio amps.

But excellent VPI turntable did play important role.

Shall I get decent turntable instead of upgrading my digital source?

Yes this TT gives great sound. In Goebel room at Munich last year this TT sounded much better than the Uber expensive WADAX digital setup…of course the Kronos is similarly priced…

Reactions: thomask

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
this review gets into the weeds about what is special about this particular clock. i'll be interested in how your much greater technically informed viewpoint than mine sees this.

then watch this video.
Isn’t this for digital? I thought Thomas was talking about a clock for the TT motor controller…or is it the same clock?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
My TT is supposed to benefit from a better PS to the motor. A friend told me his VPI also improved with better power to the speed controllers. At the time I figured it was BS. Now I accept that it may be true, but its a small gain. Nothing I really notice in my system. Soooo, it could be said, the designer has decided that XXX $ to make the power and speed controller is good enough for the price point he is selling at. Making a better speed controller may cost 30% the price of the table. That is enough to get a decent arm. I would assume a better arm would bring more to the overall performance.
My Yamaha GT-2000 greatly benefits from the more powerful and precise optional external power supply…huge improvement over the in built supply.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Isn’t this for digital? I thought Thomas was talking about a clock for the TT motor controller…or is it the same clock?
yes; it is the same clock.

Esoteric did develop the clock for their digital products, and the Grandioso GX1 clock is their latest and greatest clock. but then they found it had the same profound result improving the on board clock of T1 turntable power supply.

the T1 turntable already has a serious power supply with some quality tech and build quality, the clock pushes it over the top.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
View attachment 105484

I had not had chance to listen to DCS Apex before Seoul Audio Show.

But Vivaldi Apex full stacks including clock, upsampler, transport was available to drive Wilson Alex V. Amp was Audio Research tube pre and monoblocks.

I did attend full 30 minutes demonstration section seated at sweet spot.

Ella Fitzerald's voice sounds real with full details.

This system did what it is supposed to do, that is, extreme details, sharp focus, holographic back to front layering, clean bass and dynamics.

But somehow I could not enjoy the sounds since it sounds too hot or analytical to me.

The history repeats.

22 years ago I had DCS Elgar and upsampler, CEC Tl0x transport and Jadis 500 while living in Seoul, Korea.

I was enjoying Avalon Ascent II but one of Korean audio dealer did make stong recommendation of Wilson Watt Puppy4 to me with offer of special discount. ;)

I accepted the offer out of curiositiy.

But Watt Puppy 4 sounded too hot and analytical at my home driven by Jadis 500 from DCS Elgar direct without pre.

Thus I let it go only after six months.

Then I got B&W Notilus 801 which worked well in my listeing room for two years.

Some people may enjoy Wilson sound combined with DCS but not me.

It depends on personal taste.

I have never been able to develop a fondness for DCS DACS, regardless of the events or rooms I have visited. I have made numerous attempts to appreciate them to the fullest extent possible, but they seem to lack soul. While they are undeniably transparent, dynamic, and exhibit excellent spatial characteristics, they fall short in the realm of musicality, causing me to abhor digital technology. Unfortunately, only a handful of DACS have successfully passed my test, providing me with fatigue-free listening and true enjoyment of musical pieces. I regret to say that the DCS brand has never quite measured up to my standards, even with the Apex Upgrade. While DCS has earned a commendable reputation and received positive reviews, individuals with finely tuned ears will agree with my assessment.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

This video shows interesting comparison between Tidal Contriva G2 driven by SS amp using digital source and Blumenhofer horn speaker driven by Airtight tube amp with Kronos Discovery turntable.

I found both systems quite musical.

But some magic out of Kronos turntable.

After attending Seoul Audio show, I consider adding vinyl to my system.

Overall nice sounds out of vinyl inclduing Esoteric Grandious turntable, Kronos and SME.

Last edited:

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
After being back to my house at Washington State, I enjoy the sound of my system compared with the ones at Seoul Audio show from memory.

MBL system may sound more enjoyable than my current system but not worth the cost (400k$) for upgrade.

Nice turntables gave musical sounds thus I may consider getting turntable in the future.

Alex V driven by Audio Research with DCS Vivaldi full stacks was the worst in musicality.

My system give as much details as the above but not that hot or analytical.

Last edited:
Reactions: morricab

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I had got some goodies like power cable and foots at Seoul Audio Show.

One nice looking power cable made in Korea cost me 500$ but it appears to be very nice.

With Line Magnetic 508, the power cable made sound more nuanced and musical.

I have yet to test footings that I got.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US

The sailing speaker driven by Hifirose all in one amp sounds pretty amazing.

It is being played 3.50.

The speakers are made of magnetic planer units driven by in house by a Korean gentleman.

Last edited:

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
My TT is supposed to benefit from a better PS to the motor. A friend told me his VPI also improved with better power to the speed controllers. At the time I figured it was BS. Now I accept that it may be true, but its a small gain. Nothing I really notice in my system. Soooo, it could be said, the designer has decided that XXX $ to make the power and speed controller is good enough for the price point he is selling at. Making a better speed controller may cost 30% the price of the table. That is enough to get a decent arm. I would assume a better arm would bring more to the overall performance.
The Brinkmann tube rectified power supply for their turntable motor makes a Massive change to the sound. Stunning, actually. So yeah, the power supply to the TT is very important.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Brinkmann tube rectified power supply for their turntable motor makes a Massive change to the sound. Stunning, actually. So yeah, the power supply to the TT is very important.
Yes I have heard this effect on the Brinkmann…would love to hear a sound explanation why. A friend of mine finallly put a high end power cable on his Transrotor motor controller and he said that it also had a massive effect on his TTs sound.

Reactions: MRJAZZ

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Yes I have heard this effect on the Brinkmann…would love to hear a sound explanation why. A friend of mine finallly put a high end power cable on his Transrotor motor controller and he said that it also had a massive effect on his TTs sound.
I think it has to do with cogging and minute variations in speed. We are converting AC to DC for most TT motors. The conversion to DC is never perfect, and this will affect the rotational stability of the platter.

Reactions: morricab

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A

The sailing speaker driven by Hifirose all in one amp sounds pretty amazing.

It is being played 3.50.

The speakers are made of magnetic planer units driven by in house by a Korean gentleman.
I imagine that there are many HiFI products , transducers , electronics , cables etc etc manufactured in China and the far east that fly under the radar to the Western markets , not everything is of low quality , quite the opposite..

Reactions: MRJAZZ and thomask

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing