Seoul Audio Show

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Yes, unless there is an acceptable technical explanation I consider that something is wrong with the design of the controller. The same way I would consider that a turntable that sounds better at sun shine than in cloudy days is flawed ... :)
you define crumudoendom, sir.:p

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Yes, unless there is an acceptable technical explanation I consider that something is wrong with the design of the controller. The same way I would consider that a turntable that sounds better at sun shine than in cloudy days is flawed ... :)
if you could measure the speed performance of the stock power supply, and it was entirely outstanding, at the very top level of turntables, but then the extra clock pushed it higher......what say ye then?

• Haha

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
My TT is supposed to benefit from a better PS to the motor. A friend told me his VPI also improved with better power to the speed controllers. At the time I figured it was BS. Now I accept that it may be true, but its a small gain. Nothing I really notice in my system. Soooo, it could be said, the designer has decided that XXX $ to make the power and speed controller is good enough for the price point he is selling at. Making a better speed controller may cost 30% the price of the table. That is enough to get a decent arm. I would assume a better arm would bring more to the overall performance.

Reactions: thomask and Johan K

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I would assume a better arm would bring more to the overall performance.
might be a bad assumption? you'd have to listen to it.

the answer would likely have a ratchet sort of answer. based on where all your vinyl playback pieces are on a relative scale. hard to know really. how much better arm? how much better speed? overall noise floor and performance of the system revealing what improvements most? and what are your sonic and music listening priorities?

agree a subtle speed improvement might not equal a jump up with a better tonearm. but the speed part might improve musical immersion more than you expect. i have three well executed tt's with different sorts of speed perception that all effect the music differently.

Reactions: thomask and Johan K

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
My TT is supposed to benefit from a better PS to the motor. A friend told me his VPI also improved with better power to the speed controllers. At the time I figured it was BS. Now I accept that it may be true, but its a small gain. Nothing I really notice in my system. Soooo, it could be said, the designer has decided that XXX $ to make the power and speed controller is good enough for the price point he is selling at. Making a better speed controller may cost 30% the price of the table. That is enough to get a decent arm. I would assume a better arm would bring more to the overall performance.

Yes, a better power supply is a valid and easily explained improvement for most turntables.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
if you could measure the speed performance of the stock power supply, and it was entirely outstanding, at the very top level of turntables, but then the extra clock pushed it higher......what say ye then?

Would you accept that if the battery of your DartZeel power suply is charged with solar electricity the preamplifier sounds better than when charged with mains coming from nuclear power? :)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Would you accept that if the battery of your DartZeel power supply is charged with solar electricity the preamplifier sounds better than when charged with mains coming from nuclear power? :)
i can prefer solar power for my dart batteries, and not view a nuclear power grid as bad, especially if the nuclear power meets or beats other alternatives other than solar. if solar is the extreme high cost alternative then i respect and appreciate it, and wonder if i can afford it, but don't look at the more reasonably costing but successful nuclear power as somehow failing.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
i can prefer solar power for my dart batteries, and not view a nuclear power grid as bad, especially if the nuclear power meets or beats other alternatives other than solar. if solar is the extreme high cost alternative then i respect and appreciate it, and wonder if i can afford it, but don't look at the more reasonably costing but successful nuclear power as somehow failing.

I just asked for sound quality, nothing else ... ;)

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I just asked for sound quality, nothing else ... ;)
i always prefer better sound. but whether i view the lesser choice as somehow.......how did you put it?

If a turntable controller sounds much better with an external clock we can be tempted to think there is a problem with the internal clock

i think that is a wrong way to put it. do you characterize your dCS Vivaldi dac as 'a problem' when used without the separate box Vivaldi dCS clock? or is it just a different level?

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
i always prefer better sound. but whether i view the lesser choice as somehow.......how did you put it?

i think that is a wrong way to put it. do you characterize your dCS Vivaldi dac as 'a problem' when used without the separate box Vivaldi dCS clock? or is it just a different level?

Please read my posts - clocks, jitter and phase noise in DACs are a well discussed and accepted matter.
We know perfectly why the external clock improves sound quality - better clock electrical parameters and it synchronizes the whole system - upsampler, trasnport and DAC. No witchcraft, just audio science and technology.
Unfortunately it is expensive, but IMO worth the cost.

Please explain us why phase noise of a 10 MHz clock should improve considerably the sound of a turntable.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Please read my posts - clocks, jitter and phase noise in DACs are a well discussed and accepted matter.
We know perfectly why the external clock improves sound quality - better clock electrical parameters and it synchronizes the whole system - upsampler, trasnport and DAC. No witchcraft, just audio science and technology.
Unfortunately it is expensive, but IMO worth the cost.

Please explain us why phase noise of a 10 MHz clock should improve considerably the sound of a turntable.
you are having one conversation, i am having another.

i could never give you any technical response regarding tt's and clocks about why things happen (and you know it), and you choose to ignore my actual points.

such is life.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I believe Nuclear power would be preferred over solar as Nuclear is running a rotary generator where's solar is and inverter with more distortions.:D

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
you are having one conversation, i am having another.

i could never give you any technical response regarding tt's and clocks, and you choose to ignore my actual points.

such is life.

Yes, some of us like to understand minimally how these things work and feel that a manufacturer should be able to supply a minimum reasonable explanation of the mode of operation of his devices.

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
did you watch the video i linked?

Yes, a pure waste of time. Nothing relevant to our exchange of posts, and besides I had read it elsewhere.
It is why I usually avoid promotional videos - I focus on designers or manufacturers videos or , much better, written interviews

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
20230304_105331.jpg

I had been impressed with Borrensen speakers at Pacific Audiofest 2022.

They sounds nice at Seoul too although recording got some noise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing