MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Post deleted

Last edited:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think some of us feel that it is tad disrespectful to keep posting pictures of Acoustat speakers and talking about your perceived impressions that Acoustat are the one and only superior electrostat speakers in a thread that is supposed to be about Sanders.

MrAcoustat

Jun 5, 2012
Quebec Canada
Post deleted

Last edited:

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
There is an article on his website discussing that. He suggests none, rather adjusting speaker placement, IIRC.

FWIWFM, I prefer some sort of treatment behind any bipolar speaker as I have almost always found it improves the sound and imaging by decreasing filter effects from the back wave. I have gotten away without in a large room, with much fiddling, but unfortunately my present room is fairly small and thus heavily treated.

YMMV - Don

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
FWIWFM, I prefer some sort of treatment behind any bipolar speaker as I have almost always found it improves the sound and imaging by decreasing filter effects from the back wave.
Absorption or diffusion?

I've not been able to get absorption right, dulls and compresses in the worst way imaginable. I must be doing something wrong, a fair amount of people swear by it.

The limited diffusion I've been able to manage retains the liveliness and energy without confusing the sense of openness.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I've tried absorption behind my Innersound's several times and never liked it. I'm using plants for diffusion behind them now and love it. I did have to play around with placement to get the best result. 6-8-12 001.JPG

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I did have to play around with placement to get the best result.
With that narrow room and speakers rather close to each other I'd imagine that you have a very solid center stage if not a wide one.

If you want to get a ridiculous amount of center stage, may I suggest removing that reflective picture from the wall and hanging a tapestry with sound absorbing material behind it? The tapestry need be no wider than a hallway runner to have an enormous affect.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
I could try that as I have some spare 704 owens corning insulation. If I like it the tapestry would be a good idea to cover it up.

I would like to try some diffusion panels in the same spot as well but I would have to buy some first.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
I would like to try some diffusion panels in the same spot as well but I would have to buy some first.
That could prove to be an interesting experiment.

My personal preference (M/L not Sanders or Innersound) is diffusion behind the speakers and absorption between them.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

My personal preference (M/L not Sanders or Innersound) is diffusion behind the speakers and absorption between them.

Thanks for the idea. It is certainly worth a try. My Innersounds are beamier than your M/L because they are flat instead of curved but there could still be some correlation.

Sean

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Absorption or diffusion?

I've not been able to get absorption right, dulls and compresses in the worst way imaginable. I must be doing something wrong, a fair amount of people swear by it.

The limited diffusion I've been able to manage retains the liveliness and energy without confusing the sense of openness.

I have done both but currently have only absorption. That is OK with me, as the image is solid and any ambience comes from the recording and not the room. It is not the sound a lot of people like, however, and different people have different tastes. Diffusion generally costs much more but gives a more satisfying result to most people because of the extra sound energy bouncing around. An intermediate approach is to use absorption panels with a membrane on the front side so only LF signals are absorbed.

Planar speakers tend to act like line sources above the bass region so actually do not need a lot of room treatment. I prefer to kill the back wave with absorption directly behind, then use little treatment elsewhere. At least given a good-sized room. My current room is small and live, with a couple of closely-related dimensions causing some ugly room modes. For that reason I have treated the heck out of it.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area

I tried some absorption in the middle and it is a very nice improvement. I had tried that before but without the diffusion behind the speakers. Thanks for the tip!

I bought a 5x7 carpet to cover up the 704 insulation.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
...and winter arrives tomorrow!

Don-What is the weather supposed to be like next week for RMAF? Fall is here too in Indiana. Our leaves have turned colors and are starting to fall.

DonH50

Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
I haven't seen any trends that far out and they would be wrong anyway. I left the house this morning at 35 degF and it hit near 80 degF this afternoon down here in town (a good 1000'+ lower than my house; Denver is lower still). The mountains make it tough to predict with certainty. Plan on cool nights and decent days, but watch the forecast as sometimes we get a pretty good snow in mid-October.

NWS: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClic...UB&textField1=39.0701&textField2=-104.857&e=1 -- plug in Denver, CO

We are supposed to get a little snow at my house this weekend but it won't last. Be snowy Saturday and sunny Sunday.

Last edited:

Angela

WBF Technical Expert
May 24, 2010
Conifer, Colorado
let's hope the weather gets it all out of its system this week. It won't be a big deal for anyone coming into Denver as snow this time of year only sits on the grassy areas for a few hours and gone. I just hope it is clear blue skies for all our visitors to Colorado.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing