Samsung sells 110-inch ultra-HD TV for $150,000

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Sweet, Do the girls come as part of the price? ;)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Does anyone know if the UHD LED TVs are equal, better, or worse than a plasma? While my current 57" Hitachi RPTV still works great, I would like to get a bigger set that uses less space, but I want the picture to be a lot better than the current, calibrated picture.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I think for $150K, I would rather get a 4K Christie projector for $120K and a 200 inch Stewart screen for about $25K and have $5000 left over for a few movies.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think for $150K, I would rather get a 4K Christie projector for $120K and a 200 inch Stewart screen for about $25K and have $5000 left over for a few movies.

I like that plan!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Does anyone know if the UHD LED TVs are equal, better, or worse than a plasma?

There are no UHD plasmas. And as far as HD screens are concerned, LED LCDs are worse in most parameters than Panasonic plasmas (which are the best). But you have to be quick to pick up one of the few Panasonic plasmas left, as they just stopped making them.

Which I gladly did, just a month ago. Look for VT60, ZT60 or ST60 Panasonic models.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
There are no UHD plasmas. And as far as HD screens are concerned, LED LCDs are worse in most parameters than Panasonic plasmas (which are the best). But you have to be quick to pick up one of the few Panasonic plasmas left, as they just stopped making them.

Which I gladly did, just a month ago. Look for VT60, ZT60 or ST60 Panasonic models.

I know there are no UHD plasma TVs. That is why I am wondering if a UHD LED TV is as good, or better, that a 'regular' plasma. This would be for current Blurays. I guess another way to phrase the question is the display of a UHD LED better than a HD LED on existing source material? If they are the same then I guess I will grab a Panasonic, but if the UHD LEDs show promise then hold off.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I know there are no UHD plasma TVs. That is why I am wondering if a UHD LED TV is as good, or better, that a 'regular' plasma. This would be for current Blurays. I guess another way to phrase the question is the display of a UHD LED better than a HD LED on existing source material? If they are the same then I guess I will grab a Panasonic, but if the UHD LEDs show promise then hold off.
If you get the Sony UHD, the dynamics are different. It comes with a 4K video server and a few movies of Sony Columbia and with ability to download more. i have seen the previews and they are stunning at about 6-8 feet from screen. The unit also has some of the best implementation of LCD technology I have seen.

I just ordered a 65 inch for myself :). Should be here next week and I will report more on its performance. BTW, what enticed me is the massive price drop. The retail price is down to $3,900.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
If you get the Sony UHD, the dynamics are different. It comes with a 4K video server and a few movies of Sony Columbia and with ability to download more. i have seen the previews and they are stunning at about 6-8 feet from screen. The unit also has some of the best implementation of LCD technology I have seen.

I just ordered a 65 inch for myself :). Should be here next week and I will report more on its performance. BTW, what enticed me is the massive price drop. The retail price is down to $3,900.

Does the $3900 include the server preloaded with movies?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
$3900 for a 4K TV sounds terrific

where are they on display Amir?

Here's the thing though Steve, where are you going to find 4K material to play over your TV? I remember when I bought my first HD TV and there was practically no stations broadcasting in HD. It's cool that Sony gives you a server with some preloaded movies in 4K, but what do you do after you are bored with them? How many years out are we from broadcasters adopting 4K as their standard and satellites being built and launched that will support 4K transmission? 5 years? 10 years?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
If it's also the best HDTV in its size it might be worth it.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here's the thing though Steve, where are you going to find 4K material to play over your TV? I remember when I bought my first HD TV and there was practically no stations broadcasting in HD. It's cool that Sony gives you a server with some preloaded movies in 4K, but what do you do after you are bored with them? How many years out are we from broadcasters adopting 4K as their standard and satellites being built and launched that will support 4K transmission? 5 years? 10 years?
Roll out of 4K will be slow. At CES Netflix is going to show 4K programming and launch thereof but it is random independent titles. I think it will take a year or two before real stuff comes out online. I heard Sony will be releasing 120 titles for this server or something like that. So it is decent amount of stuff but certainly not enough.

4K can be broadcast on cable and satellites but will require new settop boxes with next generation video compression (HEVC) which takes some of the pain away from the higher bandwidth required.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012

After looking at a Sony 65 inch 4k its very hard to go back to my Pioneer krp-500m plasma, my next tv will be 4k !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing