Rythm and Pace!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Well, I'm glad some of you understand each other sometimes when using this kind of language. The only real attempt to define PRaT in this tread was made by Myles, and he simply substituted it for dynamic range. Can't say I see the point in that. Now if what you're talking about is that exaggerated treble response that some Naim equipment had when the term was created in the UK, I can certainly understand why one would invent a term for it. PRaT is infinitely more complimentary than what I'd call it.

Tim

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
prat:

"n. English term, primarily used in United Kingdom. The literal meaning is "bottom" or "rump"; aka backside, buttocks, sacrum, tail end. This lends itself to the slang meaning of "ass," or "clueless person of arrogant stupidity." It is not always directly translatable to American slang."

I would agree that the term requires so much contextual explanation and has so many ways of interpretation that it is an "abomination" term that winds up whatever a particular individual wants it to be.

I think as Myles states it intends to grade the system's ability to render microdynamics. Maybe it's the Brits making fun of the Yanks with a made up terminology.

Actually I think it's more reductionism vs globalism. US mags like to dissect the performance of a component while PRAT and other criteria used by the Brits for instance, are trying to describe the whole. Or it's does the sum of the parts equal the whole? Not always.

In the end, the truth lies somewhere in between.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
It's merely a descriptive term. If it has no meaning to you, then move on.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Rob had it right. This is a rehash of another thread that led to nowhere. Just like the philosophical thread about the tree falling in the forest which I warned everyone that we had been down that road before and it was a dirt road. However, knowing that we have already slugged it out for 15 rounds and everyone was bloodied doesn’t appear to hinder people from wanting to put on their gloves again and lace them up for another fight.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I did it before, no need to repeat myself. You were not interested at that time, I think I am not wrong when I consider you did not change your mind since them.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?3181-The-audiophile-vernacular&p=47900&viewfull=1#post47900

It was not disinterest, micro, but disagreement. And geez man, if we didn't repeat ourselves the Audiophile conversation would come to a rapid, vapid close, never to be revived from its breathlessness. This thread is us repeating ourselves, and none of our opinions seem to have changed.

Tim

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The PRAT word is useful if you apply it properly and want to dialogue with those who also understand it, completely useless if you do not know what it means, do not care about it or just post about it to say it is a silly word.

Yes, I think I understand what people mean about it. The term was defined in an historical context to define a precise type of sound in opposition to an existing culture, and today still keeps most of its original meaning, although we do not accept the colorations that were associated to the systems that "had PRAT"anymore.

Just by curiosity I googled the word PRAT in whatbestforum.com. I found some tens of hits, and after I discarded those which were just debating the use of the word, I could understand what most people wanted to say when they used it. BTW, for me a system needs to have PRAT to play Bernstein "West Side Story" in a way I can enjoy it. Jack, does this recording have PRAT in your system? ;)

Pratt and Whitney levels of it. LOL

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It's da music...period.

We have a winner!:D

Whether it's relaxing in my own 2Ch room, listening to my buddy's much more expensive system, using earbuds on my phone, listening to the cheapo countertop kitchen radio or watching a youtube video.......Rhythm and Pace, which someone already eluded to as coming from music and not a system, is equally enjoyable. The notion that a system somehow plays a part in that is preposterous IMO. Surely it will sound better on a great system, but it doesn't add any more Rhythm & Pace.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
August 23, 2010
MUSIC THEORY WORD OF THE WEEK: ACCENTS (DYNAMIC, TONIC, AGOGIC)
Generally speaking, an accent in music refers to an emphasis placed on a specific note. This emphasis can come about by action of the performer or it can be inherent in the musical line. Below are the three primary types of accents:
A dynamic accent is the most common form, in which a note is played at a louder volume in order to add emphasis. This is usually indicated by an accent mark (>):

A tonic accent is the result of pitch rather than loudness, usually a note being significantly higher or lower in pitch than the other notes around it:

An agogic accent is an emphasis by way of note length, most often created by giving a note a bit of extra time in performance. A typical example is to prolong the downbeat of a measure or the first note of a melody in order to give it extra weight.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Comments?

Myles - I see eye-to-eye with you on many topics, but you're losing me big time here. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what you are trying to say by including the references you did. Can you say in your own words what Rhythm & Pace means to you? Is it a function of the music or does it require something else?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Myles - I see eye-to-eye with you on many topics, but you're losing me big time here. Quite frankly, I'm not sure what you are trying to say by including the references you did. Can you say in your own words what Rhythm & Pace means to you? Is it a function of the music or does it require something else?

I was trying to add something to Frantz's previous comment regarding how he can enjoy music on his car radio. I think this piece deals with how we listen to and connect with the music :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Rhythm & Pace, the music has a tempo.

The gear, does it have rhythm and pace, as some UK reviewers like to refer to?

The drummer sets the pace, the rhythm, the pace of the band, the musical composition.
The gear (our audio rigs) simply reproduces the musical content as it was originally recorded (or remastered).

Music is universal, words are not. ...Just too many various meanings for different languages.
Natural human mentality according to our ancestries, cultures, and all that diversified jazz.

What music genre has the most extended and universal reach? Classical? African?

The lion running after the 'gazelle' in the heart of Africa;
his heart, is it pumping to the beat of a calculated or wild chase?

* By the way there is a typo in the thread's title. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing