Roon Frustration -Again

LMAO....

Not here. If anything Roon 913 adds a bit more weight and a sweeter top end.......
For me build 9xx sounds dead and boring and flat compared to build 898

Lucas D was optimistic today that Roon would fix this soon. Why, I'm not sure since those tin ears at Roon can't hear a difference anyway. Lucas installed the work around using Squeezebox. I haven't had time to listen but he thought that was even better than the old Roon build with HQPlayer.

I'm getting fed up with Roon and have pushed Lucas to find us something better. The folks at Roon are very careless with new releases and I'm getting tired of having an issue with their new versions every few months.

p.s. Christoph is my hero. He tells it like it is.

Last edited:
Sounds analytical, definitely the worst iteration of Roon since forever… if you aren’t interested in music it’s probably fine. For the first time since subscribing to Roon I’m actually looking for a plan b at least till they wake the f up and get themselves back on track again. I’m like many and a big supporter of the platform as a whole. For music discovery it’s still the very best. But I can cope with some small shifts in sound quality but analytical, lacking flow and involving engagement and lifeless is not ok. Strange as they really had musicality and engagement nailed again till recently… well at least till this iteration.

Last edited:
Sounds analytical, definitely the worst iteration of Roon since forever… if you aren’t interested in music it’s probably fine. For the first time since subscribing to Roon I’m actually looking for a plan b at least till they wake the f up and get themselves back on track again. I’m like many and a big supporter of the platform as a whole. For music discovery it’s still the very best. But I can cope with some small shifts in sound quality but analytical, lacking flow and involving engagement and lifeless is not ok. Strange as they really had musicality and engagement nailed again till recently… well at least till this iteration.
Good thing for you is Antipodes gives you options. I guess you just need to pick one other than Roon.

Reactions: the sound of Tao
Good thing for you is Antipodes gives you options. I guess you just need to pick one other than Roon.
Abandoning Roon and sinking her in the harbour is my least favourable option, though this week I had my moments lol. Am thinking realistically I do need a plan b to go to for a while just when Roon is off it’s game in terms of delivering musicality. Might even go the HQ player route so I have some choice then. Roon has been travelling so well and generally I don’t do the whole night and day sound difference anxieties thing between release of versions but for the first time this current update feels like it has fundamentally stepped away from the music.

Last edited:
...at least till they wake the f up and get themselves back on track again.
That is the problem, they seemingly don't really know what they are doing :eek:
Every update is (little) hit and (a lot of) miss.
They even bring back already fixed bugs into new releases, multiple times :rolleyes:

Obviously they have no clue of the why when it comes to SQ because it is a wild change from Ok to soso to really bad to very good and back to bad o_O

Reactions: the sound of Tao
Sounds analytical, definitely the worst iteration of Roon since forever…
I thought I was the only one on Antipodes with that impression of the latest Roon release. I’m very happy with Squeeze as far as sound quality goes.

Not really. Lucas Domensky who built my server texted me today to install a work-around for the Roon update that dropped this week. I had not installed it yet in his server. He said if I had I would have heard that vocals in particular don't sound as good. Some of his other clients have complained to him and creative guy that he is, he installed code that works around it. I DID download it on my other server and as I had made so many changes to it this week wasn't able to pinpoint which change was responsible for a specific change in sound.

I like Roon when it works correctly as a sound file management system. Their techs are flat-earthers though. They just don't get that ANY changes they make, even to the GUI can potentially affect the SQ. Guys like us with high-end systems have complained previously about releases where, for example, all they did was change how albums are displayed in your library, and how that change messed with the SQ. In their mind 99% of their customers are listening through their Marantz integrated amp (not making fun of Marantz, I have one in my video setup). They just don't grasp that some of us have $10k+ servers or $500,000 front-ends (not me but I wish). To me it's like the people on Audiogon that want to argue that the $75 Belden IC they bought is as good as anything you'd get from Echole, Ansuz, Siltech, etc. I'm not sure if it's the equipment they use to test new releases (some have told me they test them hardly at all) or if they have tin ears (my wife, God bless her, tells me she can legit not really hear the difference between my Lampi-based two channel setup and the Sony surround system she heard in her friend's home theater install).

p.s. if I install the latest update to listen to it I am stuck with it. You cannot revert in Roon if you find they have messed with the sound. IMHO, that's a big problem.
a good practice from roon is always keep older versions as backups to revert back to . you cant dowload older versions , but you can download versions as you go before or after install from there web site . i have af few like this. in fairness to roon all palyers vary in sound as revisons of new releaes are made . if hiam said it he hears it so its true to me for one . im not saying all systems are effected the same either . i argue with the roon gods too . tone deaf atitudes for sure , im not updating due what mainboardsim using . i like the sound i have now . my issue with roon is you must do this ways and a total lack of real beta testing . look what they did over the holidays par for the course of the roon gods .

a good practice from roon is always keep older versions as backups to revert back to
This will only work if you keep older versions of the Roon database too. Both the application and its database need to be restored together.

This will only work if you keep older versions of the Roon database too. Both the application and its database need to be restored together.
Correct. Hopefully one is backing up Roon and have multiple copies of their database.

You are correct but I do a full scan as new. Just so you know back ups don't always work much get all stuff as before. Also never move a backup file
Why I'm not sure but it's happened to me

Roon is pure in there complete lack of us users . There woke punks that need to be unseated in there woke world one day soon I hope . Jriver is far more kind to users

Roon is pure in there complete lack of us users . There woke punks that need to be unseated in there woke world one day soon I hope . Jriver is far more kind to users
o_O What? If Roon bothers you this much don't use it. Life is way too short to use a product that brings this much frustration to you. Load up Jriver and enjoy the music.

I’m using a Bricasti M3 DAC as a Roon endpoint, and a MacMini as a Roon Core. Can I use Squeezelite as the player rather than the Roon app? If so, how? Please refer a link if it’s easier than explaining here.

o_O What? If Roon bothers you this much don't use it. Life is way too short to use a product that brings this much frustration to you. Load up Jriver and enjoy the music.
Lol yes it bothers me but I’m loosing sleep. More important we let each other know what goes on. I use jriver to
the Roon interface rules but only on two pc server setup. If I just use Roon it’s to wifi symphony boom box. j River on a smaller setup not critical
for now we are stuck with Roon
but taiko being the leader is working on a rescue plan

but taiko being the leader is working on a rescue plan
Is Taiko building a music management solution for non Taiko servers? I was under the impression their upcoming music management solution was only for the Taiko Extreme.

Reactions: Alrainbow
Is Taiko building a music management solution for non Taiko servers? I was under the impression their upcoming music management solution was only for the Taiko Extreme.
Lol
oh now you care thought Roon gods had all taken care of hahaha
I hope his next step just might me , but not sure what he is up too aside of making and constantly improving taiko products

Taiko Extreme only

Reactions: bryans
Lol
oh now you care thought Roon gods had all taken care of hahaha
I hope his next step just might me , but not sure what he is up too aside of making and constantly improving taiko products
Sorry but I don't quite understand what you are saying here? Unless someone is going to purchase a Taiko product not sure what it has to do with people using Roon.

Reactions: nonesup
Abandoning Roon and sinking her in the harbour is my least favourable option, though this week I had my moments lol. Am thinking realistically I do need a plan b to go to for a while just when Roon is off it’s game in terms of delivering musicality. Might even go the HQ player route so I have some choice then. Roon has been travelling so well and generally I don’t do the whole night and day sound difference anxieties thing between release of versions but for the first time this current update feels like it has fundamentally stepped away from the music.
but jess is a gui tin ear , many aruments with him on make a dam gui we can use . he is fixated on upsampling and does not care for any good gui we can use . the roon hq combo still is best option and after this is jriver . hq player has way too many drop down menus and while they matter , there is too much sound changing from album to album . makes me wonder how do other players keep things closer .

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing