Low cost streaming solution

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
My brother has a house with multiple in ceiling speakers. The speakers are driven by class D amps with Rheostat in a single gang wall box in each room. An ethernet cable connects the amp to a data center in his utility room. In the utility room there are about 8 sets of ethernet cables. I am wondering is there is some sort of IFI or Sonos type solution that will allow him to use a tablet to stream (In MONO) Spotify as well as access a USB drive with music on it. Are there any $1000 or less solutions?

PaulB

Jan 22, 2020
Minneapolis, Minnesota
analog.audio
I would recommend the Cambridge Audio MNX10 or AXN10 (full size/half size chasis). Price is $499.

Two main reasons: service is very good and their StreamMagic software supports spotify and is very well done.

****Dealer****

Republicoftexas69

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area

You could set up Roon or Spotify to output mono and use either channel.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Go with IFI. Good bang for the buck. I have their Bluetooth unit for about $200. Works great. Also, Google "best budget audio streamer". Review different sites. Should see same brands / models for a starting point.

Strongly recommend you buy from Crutchfield. Awesome customer lifetime product support. Issues? Just call and they will troubleshoot.

Last edited:

tomsch63

May 31, 2022
You should also look at the Wiim pro or pro plus depending on if you wan to use the DAC. The pro plus has a better DAC but even the mini would work. The interface is very good and supports pretty much all the streaming services.

Reactions: zimbida

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Thanks all. I will start reviewing the list.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I am having a hard time figuring out what I need to do. I have a pile of ethernet cables coming into the media room. They go to class D amps. This implies the signal is not digital to the amps. Its analog. Since I have so many, I think I need a
Ethernet based distributed I/O modules. But I know nothing about this stuff. Has anyone installed such a system?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Thanks all. I have a solution.

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Yes, some David guy set me strait on how to hook it up. :) All you need is knowledge!!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing