hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
Hmmm... I think I know what you are saying. it should be about the music and not about trying to divine the sound of the latest component you have added or equating quality with how much it cost, lol!

I was commenting on a previous post by McSnare where he mentioned that he was aware of the limitations of his system. The ideal is for the system to "disappear" so you can drift into the music, but as audiophiles it is sometimes hard to get over some perceived limitations.

Anyway, to get back to the subject matter, guests' opinions about our systems are always valuable. There is always an element of truth in what people say, it's more a question of whether you can live with the imperfections, how easy it is to correct them, and whether the changes would have negative side effects. The most difficult ones to "swallow" are those that make you realize that you are going down a "dead end" and that you need to reconsider everything in your system!

Reactions: AudioHR

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
I’m not bothered to list my gear;
AVC, RIAA,DAC and amps are DIY and the info value be limited
Arms, carts and SUTs are revolving.
when visitors have input for improvements, I’m mostly already aware of it, and have it on my own list to check out
Sounds to me - like a very reasonable and healthy approach to things… Why make it any more difficult than that?!

I’m on the same level here Leif ;).

/ Jk

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Svartskog, Greater Oslo, Norway
Hi Ron,

Oslo Hifi Show is running as we speek. Look who was present signing records yesterday. (No, did not take any pictures)

IMG_2361.jpeg

I also ran into Bent Holter of Hegel and we started talking about you becoming a home dealer of Hegel Music Systems. He actually had no idea since, as he said, he has nothing to do with that, but he was thrilled about the news anyway. It also turns out he knows my wife, but that is another story.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,

Oslo Hifi Show is running as we speek. Look who was present signing records yesterday. (No, did not take any pictures)

View attachment 127117

I also ran into Bent Holter of Hegel and we started talking about you becoming a home dealer of Hegel Music Systems. He actually had no idea since, as he said, he has nothing to do with that, but he was thrilled about the news anyway. It also turns out he knows my wife, but that is another story.

Thank you for this report on all points!

I don't know if Anette's song "Liberty" is considered by music aficionados to be an example of vacuous "audiophile music," but I don't care. I love the song musically and lyrically. I listen to it all the time. I would love to interview Anette on Zoom for Masters & Makers!

Thank you for mentioning me to Bent!

Reactions: crosswind

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I’m not bothered to list my gear;
AVC, RIAA,DAC and amps are DIY and the info value be limited
Arms, carts and SUTs are revolving.
when visitors have input for improvements, I’m mostly already aware of it, and have it on my own list to check out
You have Ked to do your listing and photography anyway, and a 200 page blog ! ;)

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Sounds to me - like a very reasonable and healthy approach to things… Why make it any more difficult than that?!

I’m on the same level here Leif ;).

/ Jk
You do have your gear listed Johan !

Reactions: Johan K

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
You do have your gear listed Johan !
Indeed I have! I think I replied mostly to Leif’s last lines… If that was what you ment.

-”when visitors have input for improvements, I’m mostly already aware of it, and have it on my own list to check out”..!

Which I think is a reasoable approach to things :) .

Reactions: Lagonda

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I really don't understand how Cyrus in Spokane is now getting exactly the sound I want for myself in my listening room with my system. The sound has a lower sonic center of gravity, and greater tonal density (even with the Jadis JA100s), than anything I have heard in my room.

At some point I will be auditioning the WestminsterLab REI amplifiers. In the meantime I will be ordering WestminsterLab speaker cables (in a bi-wiring configuration as suggested by Angus Leung of WestminsterLab to eliminate the bridging bars on the Clarisys passive cross-over) in an effort to move in the direction of the sound I am hearing in Cyrus' system.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
One other material sonic development: as Angus queried me about my current wiring configuration I told him that I still had the Gryphon woofer tower interconnects connected to the back of the preamp using the second pair of outputs. Angus suggested that just for fun I should disconnect those XLRs from the back of the pre-amp.

OMG. A noticeable amount of the tinkley-ness I have been struggling with on higher register piano keys disappeared.

Those pre-amp outputs ultimately are in parallel (of course, as there's only one pre-amplifier in the box), and I now believe that the load on the pre-amp output stage of two pairs of 50 foot interconnects was loading down the sound in a deleterious way.

We didn't have time to listen much after this change, so I will have to review further.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Those pre-amp outputs ultimately are in parallel (of course, as there's only one pre-amplifier in the box), and I now believe that the load on the pre-amp output stage of two pairs of 50 foot interconnects was loading down the sound in a deleterious way.

It probably has literally nothing to do with the length. Having extra devices connected opens up paths and effects from them, irrespective of the cable length. I have experiences changes when adding a sub amp that I did not find positive. It has a lot to do with the design of the device being connected.

Johan K

Dec 27, 2022
Sweden
One other material sonic development: as Angus queried me about my current wiring configuration I told him that I still had the Gryphon woofer tower interconnects connected to the back of the preamp using the second pair of outputs. Angus suggested that just for fun I should disconnect those XLRs from the back of the pre-amp.

OMG. A noticeable amount of the tinkley-ness I have been struggling with on higher register piano keys disappeared.

We didn't have time to listen much after this change, so I will have to review further.
Cool..!!!

Keep it up Ron… one never knows what’s around the next corner in the world of hifi☝ :D !!

/ Jk

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A couple of weeks ago Tinka said she was going to host a dinner party, and if I would show her how to use the stereo in case any of her guests would like to listen to music on the big stereo (instead of just hearing music casually on the overhead).

Tinka took the start-up sequence and Jadis amplifier warm-up process instructions very seriously, and is now fully big stereo capable (on digital)!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I really don't understand how Cyrus in Spokane is now getting exactly the sound I want for myself in my listening room with my system. The sound has a lower sonic center of gravity, and greater tonal density (even with the Jadis JA100s), than anything I have heard in my room.

At some point I will be auditioning the WestminsterLab REI amplifiers. In the meantime I will be ordering WestminsterLab speaker cables (in a bi-wiring configuration as suggested by Angus Leung of WestminsterLab to eliminate the bridging bars on the Clarisys passive cross-over) in an effort to move in the direction of the sound I am hearing in Cyrus' system.

maybe because you had never tried suitable amps for your speakers?

Reactions: Alrainbow

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
There is always an element of truth in what people say, it's more a question of whether you can live with the imperfections, how easy it is to correct them, and whether the changes would have negative side effects. The most difficult ones to "swallow" are those that make you realize that you are going down a "dead end" and that you need to reconsider everything in your system!

That seems quite appropriate.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: Folsom

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No; your premise is false.

No it’s not, if you upload your Mahler 3 video or it’s easily heard. Lloyd politely had similar comments. You auditioned it with Gryphon amps before buying, never got it going at home, even tried digital EQ. Looks like now you had not properly connected the cables as well based on Angus’ feedback but I doubt that alone will make the difference.

Looks like the Westminster will sound better if they sounded better than CH on Clarisys

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
A couple of weeks ago Tinka said she was going to host a dinner party, and if I would show her how to use the stereo in case any of her guests would like to listen to music on the big stereo (instead of just hearing music casually on the overhead).

Tinka took the start-up sequence and Jadis amplifier warm-up process instructions very seriously, and is now fully big stereo capable (on digital)!

Some starter DJ tips for Tinka Ron…

1. Step 1: Choose The Right Equipment and don’t be afraid of just a few red plating valves on amps…
  2. Step 2: Select The Music To Scratch With. ...
  3. Step 3: Consider Using Samples. ... record a scratch sample on your reel to reel and drag the Studer’s reels to full on beat match with the Brinkmann and vice versa. …
  4. Step 4: play drop the tonearm and shuffle and amaze your partner. ...
  5. Step 5: Start With The Baby Scratch. ...
  6. Step 6: Introduce The Scribble Scratch. ...
  7. Step 7: Learn The Drag Scratch. ...
  8. Step 8: Add The Flare Scratch…
  9. Step 9: Don’t be afraid to let all your other friends have a go and record it on their phones…
  10. Step 10: Double blind testing… how much will it take to drink yourselves blind and upload all those videos for Carlos.

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Sounds Lile you are not invited. ;)
Does she have aa playlist?
Did you give her a dey run when has had a few glasses of wine?
Does this mean you get to drive the Corvette?
That's ok. None of my business.

• Haha
Reactions: Johan K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing