treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I dunno, man. I have a friend who, whenever we listen to our respective systems? We rip each other's system apart. Down to the "inth" degree.

It's not because we enjoy justifying our own systems, it's just honest feedback from another set of ears. Many times, I will point out something that I notice and the next time I go there, that problem has been addressed. This works both ways. He has done the same for me.

Over the years, our systems have progressed in ways that would have never happened if we both felt content with our respective systems. The only thing in my mind that bites, is the fact that to address certain deficiencies, it takes money or a different direction.....which usually costs more money.

I wouldn't have it any other way. I'd rather the truth be told and learn from others, instead of relying on what the latest upgrade was that I might think is/was an outstanding one. If you are willing to take the constructive criticism and know how to deal with it, or solve the issue? It works out great and one keeps progressing on their respective audio journey.

We are both happy for each other's input, even though we both have differing tastes in a musical reproductive effort. Together, the honesty and input has catapulted our respective systems into another stratosphere, compared to where we were at, say, a decade ago.

Tom

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Lets not kid ourselves. Listening to someone elses stereo is not about helping them. Its validation on the direction you are going. You don't tell your friend their new 300 watt amp that doubles to 600 sounds poofey and not natural. Your not going to break their heart when they broke their bank to purhase said amp. You just update your mental list on what sucks.
I don't think that is fair. the mental approach of system visitors runs the gamut of people and personalities. and the system owner's vibe too. it can be a very positive and uplifting thing, or wicked with all sorts of baggage influence.

I have a few visitors who have been here (even many) dozens of times. feedback then becomes very subtle. our interactions are more about enjoying the get together.

over 3 decades of constant visitors to my room, the vast majority have been very positive, the negative almost zero. certainly I have no illusions about feedback toward my system. it runs the useful gamut too. I have my own filter for it. my travels to other systems has a wide variance. sometimes I'm asked to help. suggest things. otherwise I just try to enjoy. a few were very revealing and led to critical advancements in my own system which i have posted about.

characterizing these situations as somehow typically sinister is wrong.
FWIW dealers don't get away with it either. I stood next to friend as a dealer told him his 3 year old amps were shit and he had to get the updates model. We left and he said F that guy and never went back. I hate most stereo dealers as their time with you is spent talking about why your system sucks. Not to mention your a fool and idiot for being taken advantage off. But its only because your an idiot and have no idea what to listen for. If you had only come to them first.
maybe this is typical.......I'm not in these type discussions with dealers.

Last edited:

Mcsnare

Apr 1, 2022
www.instagram.com
Knowing Ron, I really can't imagine his "not my cup of tea" comment being anything other than what he has clarified it to be.

As far as visitors comments, I already am intimately familiar with what my system does well, and what could be improved. Any visitors are welcome to comment but I am the harshest critic!
I have kind of a weird thing about hearing other folks' systems so I don't do that much at all. I am so picky about how I want the music presented, that it's not likely I will enjoy someone else's system unless it's crazy good, especially in an overall different way than my own system.
My .02

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Maybe I should clarify. If one is to travel and see a system that belongs to a forum member you only chat with online, then your probably in it for you.

If Im at my friend Bobs house, Im just hanging out. Bobs a good friend. If I'm at Jazdocs, again, I like Mark. But I am also trying to figure out how to get my system to sound more like his.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Knowing Ron, I really can't imagine his "not my cup of tea" comment being anything other than what he has clarified it to be.

As far as visitors comments, I already am intimately familiar with what my system does well, and what could be improved. Any visitors are welcome to comment but I am the harshest critic!
I have kind of a weird thing about hearing other folks' systems so I don't do that much at all. I am so picky about how I want the music presented, that it's not likely I will enjoy someone else's system unless it's crazy good, especially in an overall different way than my own system.
My .02
Isn't it funny how many of us strive for a like the real event sound. Even brag about how close our systems are. Yet you go listen to some other system and are acutely aware how not like the real thing it actually presents as.

Mcsnare

Apr 1, 2022
www.instagram.com
Isn't it funny how many of us strive for a like the real event sound. Even brag about how close our systems are. Yet you go listen to some other system and are acutely aware how not like the real thing it actually presents as.
I actually don't strive for my system to fool me into thinking there is a performance in front of me. Probably because I am intimately familiar with how recordings are made, and a mere handful are designed to try and pull that off. I just want it to sound good.

hopkins

Sep 10, 2022
Paris
paulstephane.github.io
I actually don't strive for my system to fool me into thinking there is a performance in front of me. Probably because I am intimately familiar with how recordings are made, and a mere handful are designed to try and pull that off. I just want it to sound good.

The paradox, I find, is that to really enjoy music, you have to switch off your audiophile mind and stop listening to "sounds". You can't do both at the same time. It's either one or the other. Once we realize that, we may find that the level of sound quality required from a system is really not that high?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The paradox, I find, is that to really enjoy music, you have to switch off your audiophile mind and stop listening to "sounds". You can't do both at the same time. It's either one or the other. Once we realize that, we may find that the level of sound quality required from a system is really not that high?
If i get a good feeling of a system im happy price is almost irrelevant in this hobby ( luckily).
Munchen last year was more of a freakshow lol..
How much bling bling and exotic looking stuff can you pack in a room..
What about music and SQ

Reactions: Bobvin and Johan K

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Maybe you're hanging with the wrong crowd. That friend of mine and I would have discussed amp choices for his system long before purchase.
I hear what your saying. I don't dsagree. I discuss stuff with friends. But we all seem to gravitate to something for our own personal reasons. Even if its illogical. Sort of like having a crush on a girl for all the wrong reasons.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I dunno, man. I have a friend who, whenever we listen to our respective systems? We rip each other's system apart. Down to the "inth" degree.

It's not because we enjoy justifying our own systems, it's just honest feedback from another set of ears. Many times, I will point out something that I notice and the next time I go there, that problem has been addressed. This works both ways. He has done the same for me.
You have a good friend there, and are a good friend to him. My audio bud of 40 years and I are the same way. We respect each other’s choices but we do what we can to help each other. We don’t always agree, but we think about what we said to each other and it often results in my system or his getting an additional refinement.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Come on Bonzo, the door is open!!!!

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
I’d have to start with my cheap plastic record player and speakers tethered by not even lamp cord circa 1969! I can still remember a few of my early LPs… Uriah Heap, Demons & Wizards. ELP, Pictures at an Exhibition. Savoy Brown…

I think I must’ve been 12 years old. Shared a basement bedroom with my foster brother of the new family I landed in who put me on the spot — sneaking out the window with the classic “shhh, don’t tell.” I couldn’t afford anything but would drool walking through the electronics store looking at all those shiny Marantz, Fisher, and Sansui receivers with the plethora of knobs, switches, and meters.

Birth of an audiophile, I still haven’t shaken it.

(oops, sorry, back to Ron’s thread)
I was a touch older but I can relate, 8 track, man, lol!

Back to Ron's thread, they are always inspiring! Do you think he plans it to be this way

Reactions: Bobvin

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
Lets not kid ourselves. Listening to someone elses stereo is not about helping them. Its validation on the direction you are going. You don't tell your friend their new 300 watt amp that doubles to 600 sounds poofey and not natural. Your not going to break their heart when they broke their bank to purhase said amp. You just update your mental list on what sucks.

FWIW dealers don't get away with it either. I stood next to friend as a dealer told him his 3 year old amps were shit and he had to get the updates model. We left and he said F that guy and never went back. I hate most stereo dealers as their time with you is spent talking about why your system sucks. Not to mention your a fool and idiot for being taken advantage off. But its only because your an idiot and have no idea what to listen for. If you had only come to them first.
I wouldn't go back to that dealer either! There are some good ones though. Still at the end of the day it is is you that must decide what works for you.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
Hmmm... I think I know what you are saying. it should be about the music and not about trying to divine the sound of the latest component you have added or equating quality with how much it cost, lol!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Hmmm... I think I know what you are saying. it should be about the music and not about trying to divine the sound of the latest component you have added or equating quality with how much it cost, lol!
When my audio buds come by, for exploring a new piece of gear, we listen and evaluate then ultimately one of us will say “enough geeking out on the gear, let’s listen to some music.” Often times subtle qualities reveal themselves when you just relax into the music.

Reminds me of about 10 years back when the AudioShark blog started up. A group said “lets meet at Bob’s Rhapsody” as a way to maybe get acquainted. I flew from Portland having never met any of the folks before, or even Bob Visintainer. All afternoon people came in and Bob was amazing dealing with the constant requests to swap in this set of speakers, then that set, or this amp, or yet another. This went on all afternoon I finally said “can we just relax and listen to some music?”

Fast forward a half dozen years—my wife is in NYC and blows her appendix. I flew out to be with her but got sick of hospital bedside (she cooked up a good dose of peritonitis so was in intensive care for a week). She gave the OK I called Bob to see if he was available and scheduled a visit. When I got there it took him a minute then he remembered “hey, you’re that guy who just wanted to listen to music” and we’ve been good friends since. (Was also when I first heard the Diesis and my audio horizon expanded exponentially.)

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I’m not bothered to list my gear;
AVC, RIAA,DAC and amps are DIY and the info value be limited
Arms, carts and SUTs are revolving.
when visitors have input for improvements, I’m mostly already aware of it, and have it on my own list to check out

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing