Rockport Technologies Introduces Orion Loudspeaker

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Having admired your system for a long time, I always wondered about those 802Ds (as good as they are) in the context of the august company of the rest of your system. I have not heard the Orions, but know the Rockport line from its Merak Sheritan II thru Lyra and Arrakis II and could imagine how far the Orions are taking you and the rest of your system. Enjoy.
Hah. I have Cincy's throwaway 802D4 now... don't worry, they're in a safe place. Maybe his system being tilted economically away from the speakers which were the 802D4 is a testament to how good that speaker was in the first place.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Incorrect, there have been at least a Lyra for sale in the used market. In fact, just sold about a few months ago to someone quite known in the hobby.
I was not talking about privetely sold units.
There are a reasons in life you could be forced to sell your car , house or a speaker.
I already have 2 friends who will buy it from me next daty I Deicide to do so.
Publically posted offers is a different story.
hifishark registers everything globally From all possible sources.
So for the average customer Its virtually impossible to purchese used Lyra.
There are simply no offers posted on public.

I agree that whatever you buy from top 2 Rockports ( Lyra or Orion) you will be extreme happy. Room response and acoustic treatment is very important in This case.
Some of us dont count that additional 50K if they Can have a little better speaker for that.

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020
Here's a great video on the Rockport Orion featuring Jon Zimmer. This guy is great, and really good at explaining the speaker.

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020
Here's a great video on the Rockport Orion featuring Jon Zimmer. This guy is great, and really good at explaining the speaker.

Does anybody know what color these speakers in the video are?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Agree...he is very good here. A very good front face to Rockport.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
One speaker I would luv to hear.

I am in Oahu and Kauai next month. Rockport represented in Hawaii anywhere?

Last edited:

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
John’s been in the industry for a while now most recently with Transparent. He is very knowledgeable and also very generous with his time. If you call Rockport he or Josh will answer and they will typically give you as much time as you need. They run Rockport like a boutique design firm with a lot of personal interaction with their customers.

Reactions: Kris

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020
Does anybody know what color these speakers in the video are?
I just heard back from Jon. The color of the speakers in the video is Porsche Quartzite Grey Metallic.

Stunning.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Please enjoy my interview with Andy Payor, Founder and Chief Designer, Rockport Technologies, in which we discuss the Orion, among many other Rockport models:

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Andy is awesome. Very insightful.
Ron Why no question about a TT??

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Last edited:
Reactions: MadFloyd

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Please enjoy my interview with Andy Payor, Founder and Chief Designer, Rockport Technologies, in which we discuss the Orion, among many other Rockport models:

Great work as always! Super fun to watch!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Great questions throughout Ron, nicely done…. made for a thoughtful and informative interview.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you, JiminGA, Kingsrule, LL21, Tao, Rsorren1!

Alpha121

Aug 15, 2020
“Like the Orion but smaller". Sounds like a replacement for the Cygnus using the Orion cabinet approach, midrange and tweeter.

I wonder if it will have one woofer or two woofers?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing