Rockport Technologies Introduces Orion Loudspeaker

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'd rather Andy try a new turntable :)
I bet a lot of people would. I remember meeting Ernie Lau in Hong Kong who had both the latest Sirius and the Clear Audio Statement (the full height one). And it seemed to me he kept a personal attachment to the Rockport and its magic.

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Here is a nice video of very well known woman in high end - Angie.
She shows her TWO (one milion USD each) systems !
one is based on Rockport Lyra.

Reactions: dandylinpsst

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
This woman really knows what is a top stuff and what sounds best.
This is based on her 40 years of experience in audio.

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
After a few weeks of critical listening with the Orions, I believe they are the most extraordinary speakers I have ever owned or listened to. Trumpets, clarinets, flutes and other higher register instruments present with an unforced strain and clarity the likes of which I have never experienced before. The soundstage, imaging, noise floor and other measures of performance are noteworthy but the reason to buy these speakers is the high frequency performance. While the B&W 802D's were marvelous, the difference between them and these Orion's definitely justifies the price differential. Marvelous job by Rockport.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After a few weeks of critical listening with the Orions, I believe they are the most extraordinary speakers I have ever owned or listened to. Trumpets, clarinets, flutes and other higher register instruments present with an unforced strain and clarity the likes of which I have never experienced before. The soundstage, imaging, noise floor and other measures of performance are noteworthy but the reason to buy these speakers is the high frequency performance. While the B&W 802D's were marvelous, the difference between them and these Orion's definitely justifies the price differential. Marvelous job by Rockport.
Congratulations! I can imagine the Orions are a different experience from the B&Ws.

Reactions: Pokey77

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Josh, the Rockport CEO, is coming soon to Atlanta's hifibuys and will be demonstrating the Orions there.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Having admired your system for a long time, I always wondered about those 802Ds (as good as they are) in the context of the august company of the rest of your system. I have not heard the Orions, but know the Rockport line from its Merak Sheritan II thru Lyra and Arrakis II and could imagine how far the Orions are taking you and the rest of your system. Enjoy.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Wondering if Orions are actually better than Lyras in any way given that they are a newer model?

Kris

Mar 4, 2019
Wondering if Orions are actually better than Lyras in any way given that they are a newer model?

unfortunatelly not.
I was consideting to get newes and much cheaper Orion but streached my finances to get Lyra insted.

For those who question it , Just check used market . There was not a single Lyra ofered on the used market . ( hif Shark) . This is simply end game speaker.
Flagship name and price difference are for a very good reason.

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
Awesome. During my audition at dealer's, the Orions sounded like electrostatic speakers but with weight behind the notes. I thought they were a bit much on the bright side, but that could be due to upstream equipment and cabling.

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
unfortunatelly not.
I was consideting to get newes and much cheaper Orion but streached my finances to get Lyra insted.

For those who question it , Just check used market . There was not a single Lyra ofered on the used market . ( hif Shark) . This is simply end game speaker.
I wonder if anyone has heard the Lyras and Orions side by side and can offer a comparison.

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
I’ve listened to Lyra extensively and I own Orion. There are areas where Orion is superior. The bass. While Lyra is springier in the upper bass overall the Orions bass is better. The new tweeter and midrange are equal to the Lyras. The Lyras cabinet is a little quieter so you hear a little more detail . Please read RH’s TAS Orion review. He’s heard both. He said that Lyra might have more detail due to quieter cabinet but that Orion was more incisive. I agree. I could have bought either but chose Orion though I would say that overall the Lyra is slightly better but not 50k worth. Either is top notch. Two different flavors of excellence. Some would prefer one others would prefer the other. Glad you love them Cincy! I knew you would.

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
I’ve listened to Lyra extensively and I own Orion. There are areas where Orion is superior. The bass. While Lyra is springier in the upper bass overall the Orions bass is better. The new tweeter and midrange are equal to the Lyras. The Lyras cabinet is a little quieter so you hear a little more detail . Please read RH’s TAS Orion review. He’s heard both. He said that Lyra might have more detail due to quieter cabinet but that Orion was more incisive. I agree. I could have bought either but chose Orion though I would say that overall the Lyra is slightly better but not 50k worth. Either is top notch. Two different flavors of excellence. Some would prefer one others would prefer the other. Glad you love them Cincy! I knew you would.
Thanks for the comparison. Would you think that Lyra will need a bigger room? It is a few inches taller.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks for the comparison. Would you think that Lyra will need a bigger room? It is a few inches taller.

I have had my Lyra's in two rooms, one 20w, 18h, 35l, now 15w, 10h, 18l (feet). Honestly, they sound great in both rooms, but I do prefer the smaller more intimate setting with listening position closer to the speakers.

ashandger

Jun 14, 2013
Many thanks for the feedback.

JiminGa

May 16, 2023
I think Lyra would sound great in any room that the Orion does. It has a larger internal volume and more driver surface area but the ideal room size has more to do with room modes affecting low frequency response and having room enough that SBIR isn’t an issue. I actually think that the Orion is more at risk in smaller rooms because of the 13 driver vs the Lyras 10s but it’s probably negligible.

Reactions: ationg

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
unfortunatelly not.

Incorrect, there have been at least a Lyra for sale in the used market. In fact, just sold about a few months ago to someone quite known in the hobby.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing