Rockport Arrakis (fully-upgraded by Andy) For Sale on Audiogon

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron, Elberoth will be probably be more on the mark. The retail price is just an indicator of what street price should be for a product. Unless, of course, someone considers this a collector's item.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Well excuse the hell out of me. I was posting "an opinion" only.

And I also said "what do I know". There was a reason for that "qualifier".

Have a problem with that?

No. I apologise for sounding snippy.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
1) The speakers are upgraded with Andy's latest drivers and parts.

2) The cross-overs are the latest upgraded bi-amp version.

3) I think he said the cabinets have been re-finished.

4) They come with an "as-new" Rockport Technologies factory warranty.

5) They are still in the crates Andy packed them in for shipping. Andy was the last person to touch them.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
you have to assume a street price for new would be in the ball-park of less 25% = $176,250. so the actual used selling price would be compared to something around that or less.

what would you have to save to not buy new?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The reality is they are used and upgraded

Big speakers have no market at the present time unless of course there is a believer at the asking price.

If I were in the market, to me I would not pay more than $125K

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
The reality is they are used and upgraded

Big speakers have no market at the present time unless of course there is a believer at the asking price.

If I were in the market, to me I would not pay more than $125K

At some point, you have to wonder if getting the new Rockport Lyra is a better option ... ~1/2 the money on cables and amps too (of course if your buying Arrakis, you likely aren't to worried about budget). It also depends on your room and your setup ability to for sure. I've heard Arrakis a few times-they are great. So are my Altairs...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I never suggested there was anything wrong with LL21 offering $125,000. :)

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
At some point, you have to wonder if getting the new Rockport Lyra is a better option ... ~1/2 the money on cables and amps too (of course if your buying Arrakis, you likely aren't to worried about budget). It also depends on your room and your setup ability to for sure. I've heard Arrakis a few times-they are great. So are my Altairs...

I like very, very much the Altair IIs. But I think Arrakis is a different scale and a different level of realism.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Go for it, Steve!

You'd be "done" on speakers for life.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If i read the info ron presented and im sure the buyer could check that himself , then the upgrade is a substantial and costly one , so i can understand the somewhat high asking price ,rationally speaking.

Well only caveat in this story is that steve would have to buy another amp to drive the Woofers , let alone the question if the ML 3 can drive the rest ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
If i read the info ron presented and im sure the buyer could check that himself , then the upgrade is a substantial and costly one , so i can understand the somewhat high asking price ,rationally speaking.

Well only caveat in this story is that steve would have to buy another amp to drive the Woofers , let alone the question if the ML 3 can drive the rest ;)

Yes, these speakers needs high volumes and high quality power.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes, these speakers needs high volumes and high quality power.

No i dont mean that , im sure the ML 3 is very high quality power and steve doesnt wanna miss what it does .:)
Its +-30 watts iirc so you have to chose speakers with care , i think steve will rather have the X 2 on lamm , then rockport on gryphon although it will off course sound fab as well

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
No i dont mean that , im sure the ML 3 is very high quality power and steve doesnt wanna miss what it does .:)
Its +-30 watts iirc so you have to chose speakers with care , i think steve will rather have the X 2 on lamm , then rockport on gryphon although it will off course sound fab as well

Steve's amps just blew me away. So jealous. I got to hear the 18 watt Lamms in the Philippines. They were sweet.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I find all of this speculation about someone else's item for sale fascinating. There is a lot of super expensive gear for sale. Why all the interest is discussing this particular pair of speakers? Is it their high price, scarcity, or exclusivity? Or perhaps the fact that few ever come up on the used market? What did Marty have before he bought his big Wilsons?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Go for it, Steve!

You'd be "done" on speakers for life.

Not interested at all Ron. Im not into biamping and the cost of extra wire let alone lack the geography even if I were interested.

Plus the issue of my ML3. They are lifers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing