RMAF 2011 - Who's in?

The good places I can't afford. :) I also don't get to Denver that often; we have a pretty good Mexican place in town (Monument) with a family feel from the (local) owners. I shall have to ask my more cultured colleagues; I know a few that speak very highly of several places up there. I am sure I can get some suggestoins for some great places. We may want to set a price range; one of my good friends raved about a steak place but it was ~$200 for he and his wife. Little rich for me, even if this is WBF!

And yes, Amir, we have some great Mexican food places in CO. As for distance from the border, hmmm, where is your place again? :)
Other than a dump in the middle of nowhere, there is flat out no good Mexican food here. The usual heavy meals with tons of beans and cheese is everywhere of course. And the locals eat them and rave about them. But we stay away.

BTW, I was not necessarily pushing for steaks either. Was just suggesting to find something folks are famous for in that part of the country and I had heard it was beef.

BTW when I booked the lady said that Thursday's rate was $129 not $89 as advertised on the RMAF web site
They have $129 on RMAF site also. Reason it is more expensive is that you are competing with business travelers on Thursday. They all go home come Friday and hence the cheaper rates through the weekend.

If I get a dealer who wants a steak I had one who refused to eat anything "interesting", I'll take him to this one:
http://www.bentforkgrill.com/index.html

It's about 10mins away, great service and excellent steaks at a price that Don and I might be able to afford.

I spent two weeks in Denver many years ago in a managment development seminar and we all went to eat at some Mexican restaurant that was incredible. Of course I can't remember what the name of it was or where it was, but I have no doubts there are good Mexican restaurants there.

They must have changed it after my call as I read to her the $89 Thurs Oct 13 fee but it was $129
Actually you are right. I think the RMAF web site is wrong. Just called and made my reservation and got stuck with the same $129 fee. I argued and they wouldn't back off. They said that we can call RMAF and complain and if they fix it, then we can cancel this reservation and make a new one.

Actually you are right. I think the RMAF web site is wrong. Just called and made my reservation and got stuck with the same $129 fee. I argued and they wouldn't back off. They said that we can call RMAF and complain and if they fix it, then we can cancel this reservation and make a new one.

There are some restaurants that are about a 15 min walk from RMAF. The closest steak place found was Shanahans that is about 5 mins away from the hotel. Not cheap but then again, no steak place is.

Hahaha -- Mark, you're killing me!

In case anyone hasn't noticed, Mexicans are everywhere.

Sounds like a grand time...only been once in '09 when it coincided with vacation.
Doesn't coincide with vacation this year, either -- but, who knows :confused::p

The best place I've eaten there is McCormick & Schmicks... just a 10min walk from the Marriott.

Other than a dump in the middle of nowhere, there is flat out no good Mexican food here. The usual heavy meals with tons of beans and cheese is everywhere of course. And the locals eat them and rave about them. But we stay away.

BTW, I was not necessarily pushing for steaks either. Was just suggesting to find something folks are famous for in that part of the country and I had heard it was beef.

Have you been to la carta oxacca down in Ballard. Really good Mexican food but perhaps that is the dump in the middle of nowhere you were referring to :) Off topic, sorry.

Have you been to la carta oxacca down in Ballard. Really good Mexican food but perhaps that is the dump in the middle of nowhere you were referring to :) Off topic, sorry.
I haven't. Someone else just PM'ed me with the same place! Living on the east side, the only time I used to make it to Ballard was to fix our old boat. I guess it is time to go there for a good new reason. Thanks for the suggestion.

We look to attend every year with some other friends from the Mexico Audio Society, let´s see if we can make it this year.

Yes indeed... I am surrounded by them! :)

Well, that gave me my first laugh of the day! I means seriously, I live in the middle of nowhere, and we have at least a half dozen family owned Mexican restaurants. A city the size of Denver has to have a bunch of top notch Mexican restaurants.

Well, that gave me my first laugh of the day! I means seriously, I live in the middle of nowhere, and we have at least a half dozen family owned Mexican restaurants. A city the size of Denver has to have a bunch of top notch Mexican restaurants.

There should be many good options mep, unfortunatly I have not been to any that could be set apart from good TexMex food. Saying that, I would love to have the opportunity to attend wherever the group decides.

Soooo, if I've parsed the thread correctly, we have:

Ken + guest
Steve
Gary
Bruce
jazdoc
Amir
Myles
Mike
Lee
Mark
Don
Ted
Rich (possible)
Fernando (possible)

After talking this over with Steve, we're thinking Saturday, @ or about 8PM. If we want to have a GTG in Gary's room afterwards, we can do that.

Bonefish Grill has been suggested, but it's over a mile away (Yosemite St., Greenwood Village), which may be problematic for those of us without rental cars. We can cab it, or find a closer restaurant. What say ye?

Ken

as Mark points out Bonefish Grill is affiliated with Outback which IMO makes it just another chain restaurant

Now speaking of chain restaurants there is one in Denver and Boulder (where I have eaten) as well as here in the SF Bay area called BJ's which is a fun place with their own microbrewery where they make 5-6 different types of beer however I have no idea where in relation to the hotel it is located

Anyplace called "BJs" and brews their own beer has to be ok.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing