Review-Eagles Oracle Arena Oakland

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I had the pleasure for the 6th time since their Hotel California Tour in 1975 of seeing the Eagles last night and for guys approaching the age of the Rolling Stones they sure continue to rock. They were solo with no lead in act and played for 3 yours and brought the house down. A little change in appearance of some of them with Don Henley and Glen Frey bulking up by a few pounds and Timothy B leaning out even more with a whole lot of grey hair in his usual long locks. Joe Walsh was better than I have ever seen him and man he can play guitar. What surprised me was a new guitarist in the group named Stuart Smith and this guy was unbelievably good. They continued to have a 4 piece horn section, 2 pianos and another guy besides Don on percussion.

They sang many new songs with probably the best being The Long Road Out Of Eden but it was their old stuff that as usuall brought the house down with a half hour encore. The second act opened with the five of them sitting on stools and al playing the guitar. It was simply terrific. Even though it was indoors at Oracle Arena the smell of herbal medicine pervaded the venue.

In summary the Eagles remain one of my favorite groups and they didn't disappoint last night. They play many venues in the USA before they leave for the conclusion of their tour in Australia.

Any other Eagles fans out there

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I had the pleasure for the 6th time since their Hotel California Tour in 1975 of seeing the Eagles last night and for guys approaching the age of the Rolling Stones they sure continue to rock. They were solo with no lead in act and played for 3 yours and brought the house down. A little change in appearance of some of them with Don Henley and Glen Frey bulking up by a few pounds and Timothy B leaning out even more with a whole lot of grey hair in his usual long locks. Joe Walsh was better than I have ever seen him and man he can play guitar. What surprised me was a new guitarist in the group named Stuart Smith and this guy was unbelievably good. They continued to have a 4 piece horn section, 2 pianos and another guy besides Don on percussion.

They sang many new songs with probably the best being The Long Road Out Of Eden but it was their old stuff that as usuall brought the house down with a half hour encore. The second act opened with the five of them sitting on stools and al playing the guitar. It was simply terrific. Even though it was indoors at Oracle Arena the smell of herbal medicine pervaded the venue.

In summary the Eagles remain one of my favorite groups and they didn't disappoint last night. They play many venues in the USA before they leave for the conclusion of their tour in Australia.

Any other Eagles fans out there

I always liked Joe Walsh when he was in the James Gang ;) Now that makes me olddddddddddd....

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
Have always been a big Eagles fan, have seen them at least a dozen times. They always do a fantastic job with their sets & sound quality is usually top tier.

Speaking of OLD Myles,,,,, I had the pleasure of seeing Joe Walsh / James Gang when I was 11 years old at a church hall no less. Yes, I started very early into the concert scene!!
Joe Walsh is a very under rated guitar player IMHO.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I was a big Eagles fan in the day, but it was a different day. I think the last time I saw them was the Hotel California tour.

P

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Liked but never loved the Eagles, saw them at the Prudential Center in Newark last year. Feared they might be just show up and collect a paycheck. Show rocked -- they were completely into it, engaged the audience and went on for 3 hrs. too. Don Henley even complimented the acoustics of the Pru Center which are surprisingly good. Much better than MSG where I'll be seeing the Roger Waters Wall show Wed. night.

Steve Williams

Rob. I first saw the Eagles in Toronto in 1975 for hotel California tour. They had an unknown guy at the time as their lead in act. A guy called Jimmy Buffet doing something called Margaritaville Tour. I was sitting next to Gilda Radner and her husband Gene Wilder.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
That sounds like a blast of a show.

I'll report back on the Roger Water show. 7th row should be amazing.

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I have long been an Eagles Fan. Heck I even purchased The Long Run LP, back in the day, now there is a true fan!
As for the line up, I just think they really messed up firing Don Felder, now that guy could play guitar. I heard, or read somewhere that he taught Tom Petty to play. Not sure if that's true.
I also have followed Joe Walsh through all his ups and downs, and think he doesn't come to mind when many people think of great guitar players, but he is pretty amazing.
I had a chance to see them in Boston a few years ago, but the ticket prices were too pricey for me, since I would've also had to stay there over night in a hotel. It's a 3 hour ride from my house.
I think I own every record they ever made, and the CD's.
I even have a Randy Meisner LP, but no Bernie Leadon records. (Spelling may be wrong on both their last names.)
I always want to tell Timothy Schmidt to cut his hair. Dude, your not in Poco, and it's not 1976 any more.
To this day, I still play some wild air guitar to Take It Easy!
I have seen them in years gone by in concert, the best one was at Yale Bowl, in New Haven CT. I forget what the year was. They played with Heart, and Little River Band. Joe Vitale was with them playing drums along side of Don.

Steve Williams

I have long been an Eagles Fan. Heck I even purchased The Long Run LP, back in the day, now there is a true fan!
As for the line up, I just think they really messed up firing Don Felder, now that guy could play guitar. I heard, or read somewhere that he taught Tom Petty to play. Not sure if that's true.
I also have followed Joe Walsh through all his ups and downs, and think he doesn't come to mind when many people think of great guitar players, but he is pretty amazing.
I had a chance to see them in Boston a few years ago, but the ticket prices were too pricey for me, since I would've also had to stay there over night in a hotel. It's a 3 hour ride from my house.
I think I own every record they ever made, and the CD's.
I even have a Randy Meisner LP, but no Bernie Leadon records. (Spelling may be wrong on both their last names.)
I always want to tell Timothy Schmidt to cut his hair. Dude, your not in Poco, and it's not 1976 any more.
To this day, I still play some wild air guitar to Take It Easy!
I have seen them in years gone by in concert, the best one was at Yale Bowl, in New Haven CT. I forget what the year was. They played with Heart, and Little River Band. Joe Vitale was with them playing drums along side of Don.

Chuck

I too think of Don Felder when I think back on the history of the Eagles. IIRC when the band was inducted into the Music Hall Of Fame, Felder was not only inducted with them but was also present at the ceremony. Indeed he is a great guitar player but I have to say that this guy Stuart Smith who played was truly remarkable and very gifted. As for Joe Walsh I have never heard him play better than this recent concert. Now if he could only sing :)

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Just want to report that the Roger Waters The Wall show is phenomenal. Roger and the band sound great, and the physical production is striking in scale and execution. There are even some surround effects -- never experienced this live before -- of helicopters passing overhead and so forth.

You'll have a great time Steve. One thought though as the stage spanned the Garden, 7th row might be a bit close, but you'll gain some immediacy I didn't have for my view.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I think the show was around 2 1/2 hours or so including an intermission. Didn't check my watch at the start. No encore -- very clear the show is over once they run thru all the tracks of The Wall.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing