Report: Colts, Manning breaking up

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I have to think it would be a very tough choice for Peyton between Denver and SF. I think Denver had a pretty successful season without an NFL-quality quarterback, and the Niners a marginally more successful season with an average (IMO) NFL-quality QB. I suspect John Elway is an attraction for Peyton as well, but we'll find out soon enough.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
i have to think it would be a very tough choice for peyton between denver and sf. I think denver had a pretty successful season without an nfl-quality quarterback, and the niners a marginally more successful season with an average (imo) nfl-quality qb. I suspect john elway is an attraction for peyton as well, but we'll find out soon enough.

flash.......

Manning signs with the Broncos !!!!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Somebody's going to have a stiff neck in chilly Denver.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
flash.......

Manning signs with the Broncos !!!!

Not surprising .. Everything pointed toward this and if he is physically OK .. The Broncos are in the thick of things.. They got very far with a lousy QB imagine where they will be with a Peyton Manning .. Great move .. Now they can shop Tebow to whomever wants to take a chance with him..

Now is the NFL schedule out yet? I would like to know when the Broncos play the Colts :)

Steve Williams

Vegas oddsmakers just put up odds to win next years Super Bowl

Broncos 8 to 1

49ers 8 to 1

He should have signed with the 49ers and they would have been odds on favorite to win it a with all of their receivers and Frank Gore

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Vegas oddsmakers just put up odds to win next years Super Bowl

Broncos 8 to 1

49ers 8 to 1

He should have signed with the 49ers and they would have been odds on favorite to win it a with all of their receivers and Frank Gore

What is the Giant's odds?

Steve Williams

What is the Giant's odds?

I didn't see it mentioned. I was watching ESPN and they showed the odds of all of the teams Manning interviewed with. Titans are 20 to 1 and Colts 50 to 1. Miami IIRC was slightly better than the Titans

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Steve Williams

Manning, Broncos Agree to 5-year, $96M Deal

by Chris Young | March 20, 2012 at 10:17 AM | NFL

So much for ‘Tebowmania.’ Peyton Manning’s deal with the Denver Broncos is done, and at nearly 36, the four-time MVP is looking at a healthy payday.

ESPN reported that Manning and Denver have agreed to a five-year contract worth $96 million. There is no immediate word on the exact amount of the QB’s guaranteed money.

From ESPN:

“The Denver Broncos and Petyon Manning reached agreement on a five-year, $96 million contract on Tuesday, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

“Manning will be introduced as the Broncos’ new starting quarterback at a 3 p.m. ET news conference.

“The Broncos now will attempt to trade quarterback Tim Tebow, sources told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortenesen and Schefter.“

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Some NFL team will take him. If there are any NFL team owners with Bible thumping tendencies (or should I say religious proclivities), it would be a marriage made in heaven.

Steve Williams

The way I see this is the following...

1. Peyton Manning is one of the best QB's in the history of the NFL but IMO far from the best

2. He signed a $96M contract

3. He hasn't thrown a pass competitively in over one year.

4. He has had 4 neck surgeries

5. He is 36 years old

What concerns me is not so much whether he can perform to the best of his (past) abilities but rather concern for a career ending injury which can also cause permanent disability

As a 49er fan I can think of Joe Montana and more so Steve Young with their repeated concussions and the potential sequelae

I think it is great for Peyton but let's not forget he is soon to be 36 yo and with 4 neck surgeries $96M would never be enough (for me) if there is potential for serious and long term permanent sequelae.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I admit sequelae is a $5 word I had to look up. The bottom line is that Peyton has the potential to end up in a wheelchair wearing a diaper. Personally, I hope that Peyton does great in Denver. I would think the NFL teams that were heavily recruiting him have done their homework and think he has some good years left. It looks like the Broncos are trying to get Jeff Saturday to come to Denver as well as possibly some other Colts that were just cut. Maybe it will be the Denver Colts.

Steve Williams

I didn't want to say permanent paralysis but you read my mind well and sequelae is just a medical term Mark. I wish I got $5 for every time I used it in the course of my career

Apparently Jim Harbaugh flew out with a physician when he visited Peyton

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I want to see Peyton do great and bring another Super Bowl championship to Denver. If Denver gets Dallas Clark and Jeff Saturday, it will makes things easier for Peyton.

Steve Williams

What I am hearing that is so great about Peyton is that he was the QB who brought the whole concept of calling audibles at the scrimmage line. Apparently he usually brings 3 plays to each scrimmage and will call the audible depending on how the defense is lined up. What makes it difficult (according to ESPN) is the ability of his offense to become proficient in the audibles. ESPN said it took a long time for the Colts offense to adapt to this form of play

mep

Apr 20, 2010
What I am hearing that is so great about Peyton is that he was the QB who brought the whole concept of calling audibles at the scrimmage line. Apparently he usually brings 3 plays to each scrimmage and will call the audible depending on how the defense is lined up. What makes it difficult (according to ESPN) is the ability of his offense to become proficient in the audibles. ESPN said it took a long time for the Colts offense to adapt to this form of play

Peyton is arguably one of the most cerebral quarterbacks ever. His study/reading of defensives is second to none and that is why he calls audibles at the line for what he sees the defense lining up to do.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
That is Monday Morning Quaterbacking at its best. Any sane person willing to offer a $96 MILLIONS contract must have a very clear idea of the health situation of the object of the gamble. The way we have tended to think is that a 36 year old player is washed-up .. The man is 36 years Old! and playing in the pocket for God Sake! not a runner like Michael Vick. True he can get hit but so could any QB in the NFL.
He is not "far from the best" he may not be the best but not that far from it. We should remember that one of the most celebrated QB Joe Montana had a team full of superstars (Clark , Rice, Craig,etc) and with a ferocious defense (Remember Ronnie Lott, Haley, etc) They were great on both sides of the ball.. I would suggest one to think that Peyton Manning may be as good or better than Steve Young if it weren't going to irk my Bay area friends. He is not just good, more like great... As to bringing the concept of audibles it is not really true that was the way the game was played before the advent of offensive coordinators ... He is somewhat of throwback and an immensely knowledgeable QB, one of the best in that sense ... The same can be said about his brother and again another of the best ever Tom Brady whose accuracy is uncanny maybe better than Peyton's.
I am looking forward for him to make of the Broncos a force. he deserves it.. I wish him all the best. I am a Giants Fan :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing