Regression of Steering Feel in Sports Sedans

Rupunzell

Dec 26, 2010
Electronic assist steering, bloated vehicles, the perception that drives want isolation from the driving experience, and more. This is the direction most up market car manufactures have decided their customer base wants in the cars they purchase. Drive most any current up market "sport sedan" most are quite similar in feel, options, power, grip and weight.

For comparison, drive a Lotus Elise/Exige and compare it to common up-market sedan.. then note the difference in driving experience. This driving experience once was what sport sedans offered, those days are long gone.

I have been test driving some sports sedans recently, and it seems like the steering has gotten worse in the last 10 years or so.It just doesn't give much back to the driver. The steering, though sharp enough, just feels artificial and uncommunicative. As a result the driving feels boring. Bigger Audi sedans don't quite have it. Even BMW 5 series has lost it.

Anyone know what's going on?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Electronic assist steering, bloated vehicles, the perception that drives want isolation from the driving experience, and more. This is the direction most up market car manufactures have decided their customer base wants in the cars they purchase. Drive most any current up market "sport sedan" most are quite similar in feel, options, power, grip and weight.

For comparison, drive a Lotus Elise/Exige and compare it to common up-market sedan.. then note the difference in driving experience. This driving experience once was what sport sedans offered, those days are long gone.

Rupunzell, great point! At the same time, what 2-ton sports sedans ever offered the driving experience that emulated that of a sports car half its weight?

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
Rupunzell,

You are right on re: Electronic Power Steering. I believe most premium performance cars have it, now.
My 06 Honda S2000 has it, but it is executed very well in this car, it still has a good "feel" at varying speeds.
My friend Lan's Lexus IS 250 also does very well, IMO.
Being 56 years old, I still remember driving American muscle cars that would have the hydraulic power steering lock up or decrease significantly when the drive belt slipped on a rainy day, especially doing donuts in parking lots...

caesar

May 30, 2010
Just read that even the latest generation of the Porsche Boxster has numbed up their steering!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing