Records are Dead

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

sombunya

Oct 18, 2012
I can think of five record stores in the LA area, all within about 5 miles of each other that focus on the sale of new vinyl. They report that business is anywhere from good to great. And I'm not counting the mega-store Amoeba just down the street.

I know of others as well but they don't have much of what I personally look for.

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
There was a ton load of new vinyl at yesterday's WFMU record fair. Unfortunately felt the rest was a bunch of overpriced LPs driven by the prices paid on ePay. $100+ for a Candid jazz release? Didn't even look at the condition given the prices. Didn't see the LPs flying out of the bins at those prices.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
image.jpg
There was a ton load of new vinyl at yesterday's WFMU record fair. Unfortunately felt the rest was a bunch of overpriced LPs driven by the prices paid on ePay. $100+ for a Candid jazz release? Didn't even look at the condition given the prices. Didn't see the LPs flying out of the bins at those prices.
Agreed. It was 'bubble' pricing. I did get a WLP of St. Dominic's Preview, and it was dead quiet, like it had never been played. I bought a dozen or so records -all older pressings, but the stuff I was looking for wasn't there and the stuff I might have considered- again, old pressings- was far too expensive.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

j_j

Jun 25, 2013
In the Rain
home.comcast.net

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Did you catch the beautiful rolling heavy steel record carts the guy at the WMFU show had for sale? He took what was basically a library-style rolling cart and adapted it for record bins; heavy duty welded steel, very well done. Unfortunately, they were over 5k dollars per cart. I wouldn't use those for permanent storage, but would consider something like a library cart- particularly if it could be set up with bins rather than angled shelves- for 'heavy rotation' and to have the manservant deliver vinyl to the 'cleaning room.' :)

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I haven't been to a brick-and-mortar store in years. I buy almost all my music from the internet on Redbook CD, because that's the medium where all the music is that I am interested in, mostly classical music in the interpretations that I want, and contemporary 'classical' music, or 'classical' avantgarde. I buy some jazz and rock as well.

Sometimes the sound is phenomenal, often very good, at times just good or even just acceptable. Great depth of soundstage is only heard on a minor percentage of recordings (when it is it can be fantastic on my system). So be it. Music is music. I don't buy my music for the sound, I buy it for the music. I just want that my system reproduces the recordings that I have in the best manner possible that I can afford.

The fact that soundstage *can* be deep but often is not shows that the problem are recording techniques themselves, not the Redbook CD medium. A spatially flat recording, or one with lackluster timbres, will not be miraculously 'rescued' by hi-rez digital or vinyl. The recordings themselves and their mastering are far more important than the media through which they are transmitted. Interestingly, on the vast majority of modern-day recordings of classical and 'classical' avantgarde music both macro- and micro-dynamics are excellent, as judged from transmission through CD. On the typical rock recording, not so much.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I haven't been to a brick-and-mortar store in years. I buy almost all my music from the internet on Redbook CD, because that's the medium where all the music is that I am interested in, mostly classical music in the interpretations that I want, and contemporary 'classical' music, or 'classical' avantgarde. I buy some jazz and rock as well.

Sometimes the sound is phenomenal, often very good, at times just good or even just acceptable. Great depth of soundstage is only heard on a minor percentage of recordings (when it is it can be fantastic on my system). So be it. Music is music. I don't buy my music for the sound, I buy it for the music. I just want that my system reproduces the recordings that I have in the best manner possible that I can afford.

The fact that soundstage *can* be deep but often is not shows that the problem are recording techniques themselves, not the Redbook CD medium. A spatially flat recording, or one with lackluster timbres, will not be miraculously 'rescued' by hi-rez digital or vinyl. The recordings themselves and their mastering are far more important than the media through which they are transmitted. Interestingly, on the vast majority of modern-day recordings of classical and 'classical' avantgarde music both macro- and micro-dynamics are excellent, as judged from transmission through CD. On the typical rock recording, not so much.

This has nothing to do with the OP? Please take this to your own thread. I'm not going to have the thread ruined by a analog vs. Digital bashing contest.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
This has nothing to do with the OP? Please take this to your own thread. I'm not going to have the thread ruined by a analog vs. Digital bashing contest.

Why would you say that? Of course it has everything to do with the OP if you go to mortar-and-brick stores or not, and I am free to give my reasons if I don't, am I not? Also, please note that I have not bashed analog in my post. It is just that I can hardly buy the music that I am interested in on vinyl, so there is limited relevance for me.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Nor have I claimed, by the way, that CD is the perfect medium; it is not -- even though I am relieved and delighted at how tremendously far CD reproduction has come from its initial dark days to satisfy the needs of the music lover. It is just that I pointed out some real-world issues when it comes to media in which music can be obtained.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing