Quick Burn in CD/file

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, is there any file I can run through a dac for a quick burn in of the system every time I come home?

Also does this work to burn in new speakers or amps as well?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks - so where a system takes an hour to burn in, how much would this be? And at how much DB do you have to play it, can you play it at low volumes?

The first time you play the disk it should be at normal listening levels whereas subsequently it is played at a level where you can carry out a conversation. He claims just a 6 hour burn in is required

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi, is there any file I can run through a dac for a quick burn in of the system every time I come home?

Also does this work to burn in new speakers or amps as well?

Can you or someone explain to me why this would need to be done each and every time?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The first time you play the disk it should be at normal listening levels whereas subsequently it is played at a level where you can carry out a conversation. He claims just a 6 hour burn in is required

Hi what about daily burn in, to warm valves and drivers, which normally takes about an hour? Can that be sped up, by playing only one track or some pink noise?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi what about daily burn in, to warm valves and drivers, which normally takes about an hour? Can that be sped up, by playing only one track or some pink noise?

no need. Just turn on your components for 15-20 minutes. I use the burn in disk whenever I introduce something new to the system. and go through the 4 reps (6 hours). He also advises to play it once monthly. I never use it to warm up system. Warm up and burn in are two very different things

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I don't burn it in every time I turn the system on. The IsoTek disc that I use is essential for me because of the number of shows that we do. I found (a number of years ago) that it makes a great difference when we run that overnight as compared to just playing music or white noise on repeat. So, it's part of my show routine to run that disc.

However, warming up the system when you turn it on everyday...... I don't play anything.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, sorry, back to this thread for one question. If I have new speakers, and I want to run them in, can I keep either the Isotek or the PAD disc running in continuously for a week or so? Assume the speaker takes 300 hours to break in normally, will these discs halve the time that way?

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Yes - but it won't halve the time, depending on the break-in disc. You may find that it also acquires the "sound" of the designer of the disc.

If the sound is irritating, wire one speaker out of phase, face them together and run the break-in disc. Obviously, this doesn't work for Genesis or mbl.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There are recommendations on the Gon for Ayre's Irrational but efficacious disc for the same purpose, but apparently if it's run loudly it can blow up the tweeters or other drivers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Can the PAD or the Isotek be ripped and played through a computer file fed to a dac, or does it have to be through the CD?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I guess I can play it through the CD drive of the laptop

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

esldude

I do remember at one time the caution not to burn in with squarewaves as they were too different from music. So what is wrong with music for burn in? Oh you think you can use some special "hard core" signal and reduce the time for break in. Pretty damn funny that one. Is burn is better, quicker, of more quality (quality of what???) than regular music? Is it steeper edged, maybe you need slow tones to not upset the fragile nature of the system burn in is helping with. Anyone ever give any rational thought to what the heck is happening with burn in? Maybe sawtooth waves. Better than squarewaves or noise. A fundamental with all harmonics in a fourier series. A little bit more like musical signals only more so. Pink noise, why not pink noise, it also is a distribution of frequencies like music in a sense?

Why not just harden the eff up and play music till it sounds good? That way burn in, break in, listener acclimatization or baloney, you aren't wasting the life of your components on something dubious. Just play some music. Is it really that complicated? Just play some music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing