Quad dsd....on the Golden Gate

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I just purchased -18- Quad dsd Challenge Classics dsd titles from Spirit of Turtle I should have over 50 Quad dsd titles now.

I previously had 7 Quad dsd download titles from Spirit of Turtle.

these are all DSD256 2 channel downloads. I'm told by Audiocrack that they are dxd (352.8 kHz) sourced.

View attachment 27144

View attachment 27145

No messing about there Mike. Keen to know what are the standout recordings from the Challenge catalogue. Keep us posted.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wow Mike that's cool

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I just purchased -18- Quad dsd Challenge Classics dsd titles from Spirit of Turtle I should have over 60 Quad dsd titles now.

I previously had 7 Quad dsd download titles from Spirit of Turtle.

these are all DSD256 2 channel downloads. I'm told by Audiocrack that they are dxd (352.8 kHz) sourced.

View attachment 27144

View attachment 27145

So I'm confused. My general understanding is that conventional wisdom suggest playing the source in whatever format it was recorded in. For example I just downloaded 10 albums from native dsd.com. What they allow, is to see the format of the recording. If its DSD64, D128 or D256, that's the format I download. I never download the D256 version, even if its available, if the album was recorded in DSD64. And if the recording was in DXD, I never download a DSD variation. Does this make sense, or should I download everything in the highest resolution format available regardless of the source format with which it was recorded?
Marty
PS It seemed to me that native DSD.com was somewhat less expensive than Spirit of Turtle for the albums I downloaded, but that might be due in part to a 10% off internet special?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would say get a native 64, it's 256 version, and see which you like. Same with DXD.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
So I'm confused. My general understanding is that conventional wisdom suggest playing the source in whatever format it was recorded in. For example I just downloaded 10 albums from native dsd.com. What they allow, is to see the format of the recording. If its DSD64, D128 or D256, that's the format I download. I never download the D256 version, even if its available, if the album was recorded in DSD64. And if the recording was in DXD, I never download a DSD variation. Does this make sense, or should I download everything in the highest resolution format available regardless of the source format with which it was recorded?
Marty
PS It seemed to me that native DSD.com was somewhat less expensive than Spirit of Turtle for the albums I downloaded, but that might be due in part to a 10% off internet special?

I did not get any 10% discount. :(

I am a complete believer in staying native if possible.

I bought no titles which were DSD64 based. only dxd based.

the titles I downloaded are dxd (352.8 kHz) sourced. I only downloaded the 'converted from dxd' Quad (256dsd) files.

on Monday I'm going to see what I need to do to then add the original native dxd files too. then I can compare playing the Quad files directly through my GG dsd dac to using JRiver to up-sample the dxd files to Quad.

in both cases there will be a conversion happening since my dac is not PCM and cannot do dxd natively. if I still had the Trinity dac that would not help me since (at this time) it's limited to 192/24 as it's highest sampling rate.

my ears will tell me which way is best.

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
Marty

In my Tidal LA set up I prefer the Challenge Classics dxd versions to the dsd 256 versions. To me the former sound more open and dynamic. The dsd 256 versions sound more laid back/softer, although the tonality of the latter is even more beautiful. That said, the the tonality of the CC dxd files are gorgeous as well.

Btw, Native dsd does not offer the CC files in dxd or dsd 256. They (only) offer the CC files in dsd 64.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
This sounds like a great upcoming gathering, Mike. Thanks for posting your recordings list. I am thrilled that you chose FOUR Yarlung albums for your session in June and I wanted to say thank you for including so much of our music. I hope your listening session goes well and that everyone has fun. Brian Moura followed up on your post, commenting on Raizes, one of Jared Sacks' recent recordings, and one of his first using the HAPI converter from Merging Technologies, which we use at Yarlung as well.

Raizes is a delight: pleasant Brazilan/Euro jazz. The music is well played and sung and one can relax into the hands of a master as Jared presents this music. The sound is superb, with bass (of which there is plenty) descending effortlessly into the floor without dampening anything in the upper frequencies. Beautifully balanced all around. Here is the direct link to Raizes. Enjoy!

Thanks again for the great list.

Bob Attiyeh
Yarlung Records
Yarlung Artists

Speaking of converting Analog Tapes to DSD 256 with the HAPI, another Analog to DSD 256 Stereo album I'd recommend for the June DSD 256 event would be the album by Cootie Williams & His Orchestra from HDTT.
It's a '50s era Stereo Big Band recording from RCA Victor that was transferred to DSD 256 by Bob Witak at HDTT using the HAPI. Very detailed and impressive.

David Robinson was playing the Cootie Williams album in DSD 256 at last year's The Show Newport on the Merging Technologies NADAC MC-8 DAC.
People were stopping in their tracks, coming into the Positive Feedback room and asking "what are you playing?" It's a grabber!

http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com...-cootie-williams-on-trumpet-and-his-orchestra
http://positive-feedback.com/review...uad-dsd-release-of-cootie-williams-in-stereo/

Last edited:

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Speaking of converting Analog Tapes to DSD 256 with the HAPI, another Analog to DSD 256 Stereo album I'd recommend for the June DSD 256 event would be the album by Cootie Williams & His Orchestra from HDTT.
It's a '50s era Stereo Big Band recording from RCA Victor that was transferred to DSD 256 by Bob Witak at HDTT using the HAPI. Very detailed and impressive.

David Robinson was playing the Cootie Williams album in DSD 256 at last year's The Show Newport on the Merging Technologies NADAC MC-8 DAC.
People were stopping in their tracks, coming into the Positive Feedback room and asking "what are you playing?" It's a grabber!

http://www.highdeftapetransfers.com...-cootie-williams-on-trumpet-and-his-orchestra
http://positive-feedback.com/review...uad-dsd-release-of-cootie-williams-in-stereo/
Another similarly fantastic sounding DSD download, albeit DSD64, is Duke Ellington's Blues in Orbit, though you could upsample to Quad/Octa.
https://m.highresaudio.com/artist.php?abid=569444

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing