Quad dsd....on the Golden Gate

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
That would be quite nice. Maybe some news at CES 2016? Hmm....

Yes that would be cool. But I really think it needs to be adopted by all of the top DAW platforms out there. I hope it doesn't take too long to spread like wildfire. Even if just the masters are all done in pure DSD, it would be a good start. It's such a shame that so much talent is going to waste simply due to so much great music not being archived in the best format possible. We already had 3 lost decades to sub par digital, so it's time to put an end to it!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Well not completely lossless. But the lowest loss way we have until multibit DSD editing arrives.

These impulse response demonstrations sum it up quite accurately.

View attachment 24576 View attachment 24575

Those are fascinating charts. I haven't seen the differences so clearly communicated before. What's the source...just curious to get more info not beat up where it comes from...

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Well not completely lossless. But the lowest loss way we have until multibit DSD editing arrives.

These impulse response demonstrations sum it up quite accurately.

View attachment 24576 View attachment 24575

Aren't these charts comparing digitally filtered PCM to unfiltered DSD (prior to the analogue filter - which PCM doesn't need)? It's true that DSD could theoretically be played back unfiltered - sounds pretty vile, though. The only relevant comparison would be of each format's respective filtered analogue output.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
ordered 14 more 'mostly 'native' Quad dsd files

on June 14th I have my audio club meeting in my room, 25-30 people. for a few months I had downloaded all the native Quad 256 files I possibly could; but now it's 6 months later since I did that so I figured I would see what additional 'native' quad was out there to acquire.

looking over the list of Quad titles on the Native DSD website I came up with another 7 actual Native Quad titles. and another 3 which are dxd sourced. then I added 4 Quad titles sourced from master tape where I also have the vinyl.

I figured it might be interesting to the group to compare the various format choices directly. and see how my whole 'native is clearly better' viewpoint still holds.

hopefully by weeks end my son will get these downloaded.

native 1.jpg

native 2.jpg

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
On that list, my vote would be the Raizes album in DSD 256 Stereo and Multichannel.
Very nice Brazilian samba music in a natural acoustic setting.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Mike

I know they are big files but is there something special needed to download them. I know your son is a computer whiz but what's the deal about downloading quad DSD

You need more strength to click - needs younger blood

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Mike

I know they are big files but is there something special needed to download them. I know your son is a computer whiz but what's the deal about downloading quad DSD

Nothing special here. They are big ZIP files. I'm using the Down Them All extension for Firefox and the Chrono extension with Chrome.
Both work fine when downloading DSD 256 Stereo and DSD 256 Multichannel music files.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Nothing special here. They are big ZIP files. I'm using the Down Them All extension for Firefox and the Chrono extension with Chrome.
Both work fine when downloading DSD 256 Stereo and DSD 256 Multichannel music files.

DSD 256 MCH files must be huge

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike

well......if I knew that 'something special' needed to download them I would not need my son to do it.

I asked him about whether he could teach me to do it and he said that it's tricky because you have to monitor the progress and then do a few tricky things due to the size of the files. i'm assuming some here know what it requires. and I do know that the Native DSD website offers download help. likely that would be the best way to go.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

well......if I knew that 'something special' needed to download them I would not need my son to do it.

I asked him about whether he could teach me to do it and he said that it's tricky because you have to monitor the progress and then do a few tricky things due to the size of the files. i'm assuming some here know what it requires. and I do know that the Native DSD website offers download help. likely that would be the best way to go.

I'd be interested in knowing what it is to which your son refers

Ric Schultz

Jun 21, 2013
Soquel, CA
Mike,
Are you ever going to get HQplayer to see what the buzz is about upsampling to quad and octal DSD? Are you going to have your Lampy updated to play 512? Are you going to try/borrow/buy the $4000 T+A DAC and see what the buzz is about octal upsampling there and compare to Lampy? How good is the very latest upsampled PCM versus Trinity?

tailspn

Jun 28, 2011
NativeDSD files are hosted on Amazon Web Services S3 platform, which has seventeen server sites world wide. There's two in the USA, (three actually, but one is Gov), one in Vaginna, and one in California. All servers have local copies of of all NativeDSD files. There's nothing special required for download of any size. The average 2 channel 256fs file is approximately 6GB in size, and dependent on your individual ISP subscribed download speed, should download in about 15 minutes. We sell about a hundred files of that, or larger size world wide a week, and the reported trouble rate is about 1-2%.

The download only requires your normal browser, and enough storage space to contain the file. There's also a free download site space for site registered folks with a number of 256fs DSD files. Just register on nativedsd.com and go to the Just Listen label, then find the members link in the left side dialog area.

Give it a try and see how well your network connection performs.

Tom

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike,
Are you ever going to get HQplayer to see what the buzz is about upsampling to quad and octal DSD?

wow! I guess I need to get going.;)

I have to re-energize my son to do more hand holding. we did talk about it a month ago. maybe soon. however; I have to say that I'm enjoying JRiver PCM up-sampling to QUAD pretty good and lately have been mostly just listening to dsd of one level or another which does not relate to the MQPlayer issue.

Are you going to have your Lampy updated to play 512?

maybe at the Newport Show i'll hear 512 and get excited enough to consider it. and maybe i'll hear the new R2R PCM dac circuit and combined with the 512 will get me off the fence to go to the trouble to ship my unit to Poland.

Are you going to try/borrow/buy the $4000 T+A DAC and see what the buzz is about octal upsampling there and compare to Lampy?

T+A DAC is not currently on my radar......again.....if I see it at Newport I will be sure to pay attention to it. I've not followed the buzz here about it......

How good is the very latest upsampled PCM versus Trinity?

my current upsampled PCM reference is JRiver/GG and that is not at Trinity dac PCM level. but it's quite good and I enjoy it. but do we consider JRiver upsampled PCM to be 'the very latest'?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I'd be interested in knowing what it is to which your son refers

if he felt that it was too much to teach me I don't like my chances to get an explanation out of him for you. I have only so many 'dad-points' I can cash and I need to be careful with them.:D

hopefully we have plenty of helpful folk right here already who could shepherd you though the process.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Sounds like a grand time on the 14th, Mike. :D
Going to Newport/Irivine in a couple of weeks :confused:

Yarlung Records

Industry Expert
Dec 21, 2014
Listening with Mike Lavigne and his audiophile friends

on June 14th I have my audio club meeting in my room, 25-30 people. for a few months I had downloaded all the native Quad 256 files I possibly could; but now it's 6 months later since I did that so I figured I would see what additional 'native' quad was out there to acquire.

looking over the list of Quad titles on the Native DSD website I came up with another 7 actual Native Quad titles. and another 3 which are dxd sourced. then I added 4 Quad titles sourced from master tape where I also have the vinyl.

I figured it might be interesting to the group to compare the various format choices directly. and see how my whole 'native is clearly better' viewpoint still holds.

hopefully by weeks end my son will get these downloaded.

View attachment 27072

View attachment 27073

This sounds like a great upcoming gathering, Mike. Thanks for posting your recordings list. I am thrilled that you chose FOUR Yarlung albums for your session in June and I wanted to say thank you for including so much of our music. I hope your listening session goes well and that everyone has fun. Brian Moura followed up on your post, commenting on Raizes, one of Jared Sacks' recent recordings, and one of his first using the HAPI converter from Merging Technologies, which we use at Yarlung as well.

Raizes is a delight: pleasant Brazilan/Euro jazz. The music is well played and sung and one can relax into the hands of a master as Jared presents this music. The sound is superb, with bass (of which there is plenty) descending effortlessly into the floor without dampening anything in the upper frequencies. Beautifully balanced all around. Here is the direct link to Raizes. Enjoy!

Thanks again for the great list.

Bob Attiyeh
Yarlung Records
Yarlung Artists

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
This sounds like a great upcoming gathering, Mike. Thanks for posting your recordings list. I am thrilled that you chose FOUR Yarlung albums for your session in June and I wanted to say thank you for including so much of our music. I hope your listening session goes well and that everyone has fun. Brian Moura followed up on your post, commenting on Raizes, one of Jared Sacks' recent recordings, and one of his first using the HAPI converter from Merging Technologies, which we use at Yarlung as well.

Raizes is a delight: pleasant Brazilan/Euro jazz. The music is well played and sung and one can relax into the hands of a master as Jared presents this music. The sound is superb, with bass (of which there is plenty) descending effortlessly into the floor without dampening anything in the upper frequencies. Beautifully balanced all around. Here is the direct link to Raizes. Enjoy!

Thanks again for the great list.

Bob Attiyeh
Yarlung Records
Yarlung Artists

Bob,

exited to hear 'Raizes'.

and many thanks for all the great amazing recordings that you do. finally today my son is downloading the files. the upgrades to my home network he did a few months ago has made those downloads much quicker. later today I'm looking forward to enjoying them. I received the Lps of the Smoke and Mirrors and Dialoghi....I already had the Janaki. so I will be able to compare them to the files.

the club meeting on the 14th of June in my room will include some of these titles.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I just purchased -18- Quad dsd Challenge Classics dsd titles from Spirit of Turtle I should have over 60 Quad dsd titles now.

I previously had 7 Quad dsd download titles from Spirit of Turtle.

these are all DSD256 2 channel downloads. I'm told by Audiocrack that they are dxd (352.8 kHz) sourced.

spirit 1.PNG

spirit 2.PNG

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing