Quad dsd....on the Golden Gate

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Ahhh, that is the experience I was after. Thank you very much. Very helpful.

It's always easy to tell a guy what he want's to hear. But when it comes to telling a guy something that will benefit him best, it's much more difficult.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Actually, I said Jadis and shindo added symphonic coloration, but if you listen instead of spam, you might get it

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
@bonzo75, if you hear of a used B7 coming up with volume control, I should be grateful for the heads up. Lampi are rare here in Australia, the dealer/distributor isn't especially active.

you should state if you are looking for SE or Balanced, as others will be reading this who might know anything coming up used

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Not user friendly or upsample? Sounds like the bug folks have some work to do.

Eventually someone will integrate it into a Roon like framework.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Ah yes, good point. Balanced in preference but its not essential.

Preferably in 230v (officially we are 230v in Aus, but in reality 240v).

Thank you.

px if anyone has the dimensions of a B7, I should be grateful for them.
Mine is 505x415x105 mm DxWxH without feet , front plate 438 x120 mm WxH , it is ca 6 mm thick.
With the toggle on the rear plate B7 is ca 530 mm deep.
Together with my recti RCA which is 105 mm high you need at least 25 cm between the shelfs but the top shelf will be the best solution.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
No, its freeshare ware by a Japanese guy. The trick is to get one of the other media [players to do all the grunt interface oversampling work and hand over to BE just for playback only.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Actually, I said Jadis and shindo added symphonic coloration, but if you listen instead of spam, you might get it

Actually you may be right. The GG being a tube DAC, the S/N ratio is likely quite poor. The problem with digital volume controls are, they only turn down the music and not the noise. So you need a real quiet DAC for them to outperform a very good analog control.

"Symphonic coloration" is quite the euphemism for distortion and noise.

Last edited:

Yarlung Records

Industry Expert
Dec 21, 2014
Congratulatiuons, Bob! :)
Please continue to make your analog recordings available on 1/4" and/or 1/2", 15 and/or 30 in/s, CCIR EQ, with no NR. :cool:
Thanks.

Sam, great to see your post. I was away for two days, when this thread had three pages, and return today to see over 12 pages. It thrills me to know this many people are interested in the best DSD playback.

To answer your question, Sam, we will certainly continue to offer analog tape. All our tapes are 15 ips, using the CCIR or IEC curve, without noise reduction. We have made some NAB tapes by special request, which is easy to do on the SonoruS ATR12. But our default curve is CCIR.

Our microphones have most predominantly been the AKG C24, or two U47s and two C12s for full orchestra. Orion and Barefoot and Evening Conversations, all three solo piano albums, were two U47s.

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Mine is 505x415x105 mm DxWxH without feet , front plate 438 x120 mm WxH , it is ca 6 mm thick.
With the toggle on the rear plate B7 is ca 530 mm deep.
Together with my recti RCA which is 105 mm high you need at least 25 cm between the shelfs but the top shelf will be the best solution.

Thank you so much - extremely helpful :) It's certainly big. Will have to measure carefully.

Last edited:

Audiocrack

Aug 10, 2012
The DSD 256 titles on the Turtle site are DSD 64 recordings that are upsampled to DSD 128 and DSD 256.

I started today a new thread with regard to Challenge Classics files because I am very, very impressed by their dxd and dsd 256 files. Furthermore, I noticed today the quoted reaction from BMoura. I am sorry to report that this reaction/quote is not correct. None of the dsd 256 files and dsd 128 files of Challenge Classics are upsampled from (native) dsd 64 recordings. Native dsd 64 recordings are only offered as dsd 64 files on the spiritofturtle website. All Challenge Classics dsd 256 and dsd 128 files are created from the 'clean' native dxd masters. In my post on the Challenge Classics thread I inserted a link in which Bert van der Wolf explains the technical reasons for his approach. Hopefully all possible misunderstandings in this regard have now been solved.

Last edited:

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
None of the dsd 256 files and dsd 128 files of Challenge Classics are upsampled from (native) dsd 64 recordings.

From the article it appears that the Challenge Classics recordings done by the Spirit of Turtle engineers (many of the CC titles) are from DXD recordings - not Analog recordings, DSD 64 recordings or DSD 256 recordings
DXD is another way to create DSD 256 files in addition to Analog Recordings transferred to DSD 256 and native DSD 256 recordings. More scenarios to compare.... :)

andrew_stenhouse

Oct 26, 2015
Sydney, Australia
From the article it appears that the Challenge Classics recordings done by the Spirit of Turtle engineers (many of the CC titles) are from DXD masters - not Analog masters or DSD 256 masters.
It's another way to create DSD 256 files - Analog, DSD 256 recordings and DXD recordings. More scenarios to compare.... :)

Same as 2L. Editing in DXD means lossless transfer to DSD.

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Same as 2L. Editing in DXD means lossless transfer to DSD.

Well not completely lossless. But the lowest loss way we have until multibit DSD editing arrives.

These impulse response demonstrations sum it up quite accurately.

impulse2.jpg impulse.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing