PS Audio 4.6 Preamp

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This unit, which I'm gathering is about 25 yrs old, just came into my possession through a trade with a member here. I'm using it my 2-channel vinyl setup as a passive phonostage connected to my vintage Pioneer SA-9500II Integrated amp. The unit came with a separate power supply and I let it run for about 4 days as per the recommended instructions, since it hadn't been used for quite some time. This wasn't easy as I was chomping at the bit to get at it. After the 4-day warm-up period came to its conclusion I was eager to get started, and I had a series of my favourite LP's put aside for a good listen. I wasn't expecting anything out-of-the-box so to speak, as I believe a good audition of any component takes time and repeated listening.

These are my impressions/observations after now having about 30 or so hours of listening time.

1. Remember I said that I wasn't expecting anything right out-of-the-box? Well, I was wrong. As soon as I cued up Track One (Side Two) of Stevie Wonder's most excellent compilation "Musicquarium" and the song "Superwoman", the depth and clarity of the lower octaves multiplied by at least two IMO. Gone was the muddied, muffled bass tones I was accustomed to with the internals of the Pioneer, but obviously never knew. I was not alone in this observation as my friend commented on the same within seconds.

2. A lower noise-floor. In fact, much lower. From my seating position I could never tell, but I always heard a lowlevel interference coming through the speakers when right up to them, although not always. I live in an old building so I always assumed this was part of the deal in living there.

3. There isn't one, but the lower noise floor has resulted in a very much improved clarity and defination of voices and instruments. A cymbol now sounds much closer to what a cymbol should sound like. I cannot say in all honesty that the PS Audio 4.6 is better at revealing mid and high frequencies, because I don't think it does. It's the lower noise-floor that allows me to hear a truer picture of what is on my recordings.

In addition to the unit itself it also came with a set of Herbie's Tenderfeet, which I am employing underneath the PS Audio 4.6 in my rack.

The records I used to come to the conclusion above are as follows:
Stevie Wonder - Musicquarium
Stevie Wonder - Talking Book
David Gilmour - Live In Gdansk (Echoes side)
Dexter Gordon - One Flight Up
Billy Joel - The Stranger
Alan Parsons Project - I, Robot
Rickie Lee Jones - Debut
Eric Clapton - Unplugged
Eric Clapton - Live At Budokan
Bruce Cockburn - Stealing Fire
America - Homecoming
Neil Young - Massey Hall 1971
Sinatra - At The Sands

Here is a pic:

002.JPG

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-This was a definitely a step in the right direction for you as you are hearing for yourself. I’m glad you like it and with the lower noise floor you are now hearing more information.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I've had one of these (in very good condition) in my closet for a long time. I hope you didn't pay much for yours!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Mark - You hit the nail on the head.....it's amazing to me how much of a difference a lower noise-floor means. It is something I will be paying much closer attention to in any future purchase. This may sound like I've been ignorant of good sound in the past, but that's not the case. I've just been focusing on my recordings within the limits of what I own, and appreciating them with a certain disregard to the equipment part as I don't have the luxury to upgrade at will. But I like to experiment as I love my music and am always looking for some improvement within my allowable means.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've had one of these (in very good condition) in my closet for a long time. I hope you didn't pay much for yours!

I am very satisfied with the arrangement that took place. What did you think of yours?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
There isn't one, but the lower noise floor has resulted in a very much improved clarity and definition of voices and instruments. A cymbal now sounds much closer to what a cymbal should sound like. I cannot say in all honesty that the PS Audio 4.6 is better at revealing mid and high frequencies, because I don't think it does. It's the lower noise-floor that allows me to hear a truer picture of what is on my recordings.

;)

Hello, John. Sounds to me like tonight will be one of those "let's rediscover the music all over again" nights. It's not everyday this happens, so enjoy the music bro'. Enjoy the music.

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
;)

Hello, John. Sounds to me like tonight will be one of those "let's rediscover the music all over again" nights. It's not everyday this happens, so enjoy the music bro'. Enjoy the music.

Tom

I got home from work at about 2PM and the vinyl hasn't stopped spinning. Thanks to this piece I'm enjoying my music even more, and I've always enjoyed my music.

Old Listener

Jul 18, 2010
SF Bay area
naturelover.smugmug.com
This unit [PS Audio 4.6 preamp], which I'm gathering is about 25 yrs old, just came into my possession through a trade with a member here.

I bought one new about 25 years ago and have used it ever since. It was a very good choice for me back then and it remains useful for me now.

In recent years, I used it mostly in passive mode for switching and volume control. A few years ago, I used the phone stage to transfer LP content to my MusicPC. The preamp still works so I'm still finding a use for it.

Bill

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The PS Audio 4.6 was a great preamplifier - I never had one, but owned the predecessor, the 4.5. This gear was made to last - I still own a vintage PS Audio Ultralink DAC using the Ultranalog chips and performs as new! Enjoy it.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I am very satisfied with the arrangement that took place. What did you think of yours?

I was happy with it. When I still listened to vinyl I replaced it with a Monolithic phono pre and Bryston BP-20 pre, which I preferred sonically but at 2-3x the price (back then).

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I would relocate the power supply to the floor or somewhere away from the head unit. It appears to be sitting right behind the head unit, which defeats the idea of a remote power supply. It should be even quieter then. You might also stick some footers under the power supply. I was amazed that different footers on the power supply to my phono stage made such a difference.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I bought one new about 25 years ago and have used it ever since. It was a very good choice for me back then and it remains useful for me now.

In recent years, I used it mostly in passive mode for switching and volume control. A few years ago, I used the phone stage to transfer LP content to my MusicPC. The preamp still works so I'm still finding a use for it.

Bill

Twenty-five years and still going strong, eh? Looks like I was able to receive a winner then! Thank you very much for your input Bill!:D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I was happy with it. When I still listened to vinyl I replaced it with a Monolithic phono pre and Bryston BP-20 pre, which I preferred sonically but at 2-3x the price (back then).

So good to hear from people who've had a satisfying experience with this unit! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me Robert!:D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I would relocate the power supply to the floor or somewhere away from the head unit. It appears to be sitting right behind the head unit, which defeats the idea of a remote power supply. It should be even quieter then. You might also stick some footers under the power supply. I was amazed that different footers on the power supply to my phono stage made such a difference.

I was thinking about this noise thing and figured it would make sense to islolate the power supply further away. Initially I put it there as I was in a hurry and anxious to listen to it. I put the Herbie's Tenderfeet under the Power Supply and added my hockeypuck/feltpad concoction underneath the preamp. The power supply is now at the bottom of my rack.

I hope to get some more listening in tomorrow, as I'm off.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing