Preamp choice dilema Magnetostat, Incito or Allnic L7000

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I have huge dilema which preamp to choose. I spent a lot of money late and my budget is very low right now.I have 7 years old Nat Magnetic on loan and I like it with my Horning speakers, Lampi Pacific. I need muscular and transparent sound and that is how Magnetic sound. I beleive Magnetostat eventhough it is very old could sound even better but there could be some issues with old battery and old inner electronics. I can get older Nat Magnetostat for very very good price, almost same price as newer Magnetic. Other option is to get even lower priced 6 years old Aries Cerat Incito which also could be the sound I like or used Allnic L7000 which should also very very good but it is the nmost expensive of all options. I only heard Magnetic and do not want to make a mistake with my choice. Can anyone help with my decision with some comparasions or ideas?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You need to hear stuff, ideally at home. I know that's revolutionary in this day and age, but some things never change. The only things I've bought sound unheard and/or easy to exchange or refund, are light items like my CDP and Airblades.
TT, amps, spkrs...you gotta hear them.
Case in point, my dealer brought over the Nat Utopia and Symmetrical to compare, and it was an easy decision hearing them one after the other.
Had I bought the Symmetrical sound unheard with no chance of refund, I'd have been put out.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
So Utopia a lot better? I know how older 2017 Magnetic sound. I am sure newer Magnetic or older Magnetostat will sound better. I do not know where Utopia Standa in NAT hiearchy. Hm

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I wouldn't worry about the heirarchy, I'd try to hear them. Fwiw, Utopia was Dejan's fledgling Nat design, I believe it stands somewhat seperate from the rest of the range.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Zappa
If you can get the Aries Cerat at a great deal, you should go for it. If it does not float your boat then you can turn around and sell it and you should not lose money. Aries Cerat has good resale value and you do not see it on the used market very often. Given your location, you may be able to send the Incito back to AC to get upgraded. I do not know what changes have been made but I would assume after 6 years there are some updated componentry that might allow you to improve the SQ. It is something you could look into.

Allnic is an excellent brand but imo not in the same league as AC.

I purchased most of my equipment without hearing it first. Most people would say that is idiotic. However, when you don't have a lot of dealers around, sometimes you have to take a chance and it has worked out great for me.

Do you have any audio shows that you could attend? You already have a great DAC in the Pacific. I had one prior to getting the Horizon. Tube rolling options are outstanding. There are a lot of ways you can improve the SQ without breaking the bank.

Enjoy the ride

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
If you cannot arrange to hear either the Allnic or Aries Cerat in your own system then the most sensible course would be to stick with the brand that you know and like.

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
If you cannot arrange to hear either the Allnic or Aries Cerat in your own system then the most sensible course would be to stick with the brand that you know and like.
What I am reading from Pacula https://highfidelity.pl/@main-522&lang=en and from Tom Layle https://www.enjoythemusic.com/super...15/Aries_Cerat_Incito_Preamplifier_Review.htm
then I was thinking they talk about NAT Magnetic, very similar description. So I am asuming that the sound will be same excellent. The diffrence could be resale value which Aries Cerat seems to be much better then NAT products. Also Incito I am getting better proce then Magnetic.Old top of the line Magnetosat I am interested about is also very good price but it is 15 years old so I will try Incito.

Reactions: orfeo_monteverdi

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
What I am reading from Pacula https://highfidelity.pl/@main-522&lang=en and from Tom Layle https://www.enjoythemusic.com/super...15/Aries_Cerat_Incito_Preamplifier_Review.htm
then I was thinking they talk about NAT Magnetic, very similar description. So I am asuming that the sound will be same excellent. The diffrence could be resale value which Aries Cerat seems to be much better then NAT products. Also Incito I am getting better proce then Magnetic.Old top of the line Magnetosat I am interested about is also very good price but it is 15 years old so I will try Incito.
I really wouldn’t be so fixated upon the age of the Magneostat , 15 years for well built modern electronics shouldn’t be a great concern .
Either way best of luck with whatever you end up with :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Zappadaddy

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
Magnetostat will not go anywhere, Incito will not wait. Magnetostat will be my next if Incito will not be suficient

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
With old magnetostat you need to check the battery. The old battery used to die out very quickly

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I am waiting what they say from NAT aout this battery replacement

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Zappa, forget about resale with Nat. My £20k Utopia and SE2SE monos would be lucky to get 20% selling them on.

• Sad

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I am waiting what they say from NAT aout this battery replacement
Good luck on that, I've only had Dejan respond to one email I've sent him.

• Sad

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Only if you've heard it, or you can return if a trial doesn't impress. As per my first advice to you.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing