Possible New Classical Tape

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
OK...... there is light at the end of the tunnel. When I agreed to help hand carry these, I didn't realize that 14" reels of 1/2-inch tape weight such a ton!!

Pancakes are in the house. Reels are on order. The master is in fabulous condition despite it being on 3M 996......

Now to make the best tapes that we know how.

Light.jpg

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi Gary,

I have a couple of 14", half-inch tape and they are heavy. I think I have the appropriately-dimensioned take-up reel(s).
If I may inquire...where are you sourcing empty reels, e.g., flanges, hubs, fasteners, etc? Thanks.

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
There was (note past tense) a place, domestically, that one could purchase reels and reel components...can't remember the name of the place, now. :(

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
There was (note past tense) a place, domestically, that one could purchase reels and reel components...can't remember the name of the place, now. :(

I've bought from US Recording Media in PA, pancakes, reels, etc. They were very reliable. Haven't bought in a couple of years.
Steve Koto (ironbut) had a nice summary of the Pyral/RMGI situation in the Tape Project Forum a few months ago. There were some production issues relating to new ownership after a bankruptcy in 2013-4. It appears things are getting back on track with them.

Larry

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Hi Larry,

Thanks. Upon further reflection, I think it may have been in MN. I'll see if I locate some of those e-mails.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I get mine through Fullcompass. Discounts for bulk. I go through about 4-6 cases/mo.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Listening to the 1/2-inch 30ips master tape brought tears to my eyes. Is there so much music left on the cutting room floor between the master and the LP or high-rez digital files that we can buy? Considering that this is probably the ultimate tape machine - a Studer A820 master recorder lovingly and skillfully refurbished and tweaked by THE master reel-to-reel technical expert - I am looking forward to listening to the 1/4-inch commercial copies.

The A820 on the right is the dedicated playback machine the master will eventually be played on to make the working copy - which will also be 1/2-inch 30ips. That machine has been stripped of everything extraneous to playback. The working copy will be made on the machine on the right. Then, two more A820's configured for 1/4-inch 15ips will be used to make the commercial copies on - fed off the dedicated playback machine playing the working copy.

Studer A820 Master Recorders.jpg

c1ferrari

May 15, 2010
Listening to the 1/2-inch 30ips master tape brought tears to my eyes. Is there so much music left on the cutting room floor between the master and the LP or high-rez digital files that we can buy? Considering that this is probably the ultimate tape machine - a Studer A820 master recorder lovingly and skillfully refurbished and tweaked by THE master reel-to-reel technical expert - I am looking forward to listening to the 1/4-inch commercial copies.

The A820 on the right is the dedicated playback machine the master will eventually be played on to make the working copy - which will also be 1/2-inch 30ips. That machine has been stripped of everything extraneous to playback. The working copy will be made on the machine on the right. Then, two more A820's configured for 1/4-inch 15ips will be used to make the commercial copies on - fed off the dedicated playback machine playing the working copy.

View attachment 21820

I love it, Gary! :cool:

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hi Gary, Todd told me that you were getting involved. Glad that things are moving forward. Say hi to Ki for me. Larry

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Hi Gary, Todd told me that you were getting involved. Glad that things are moving forward. Say hi to Ki for me. Larry

Will do! I wanted to make sure that Todd had the very best reproduction quality humanly possible.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing