Pinot Noir Fan?

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Used to be that Pinot Noir, outside of the Burgundy region of France, was dreck.

Napa Valley in California could compete with French wine in some areas. In fact, you may or may not already know that back in 1976, there was a competition held in Paris and judged by France's most noted wine critics and sommeliers.

It was chronicled in this book:

Judgment of Paris: California vs. France and the Historic 1976 Paris Tasting That Revolutionized Wine

http://www.amazon.com/Judgment-Pari...1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272573828&sr=1-1-spell

It's a fascinating story, a great education and I highly recommend this book. The wines were tasted blind so none of the French wine experts who were known to hold California wine in contempt could tell what they were drinking. To give away the ending, the California wines, both Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay, won, to the great consternation of the French wine world.

It's been a slower evolution for California (and Oregon) Pinot Noir, but in the opinion of many, including myself, it is no longer necessary to buy French Burgundy to get excellent Pinot Noir.

This is mainly due to finding the cooler climate areas in California and Oregon where Pinot Noir does best.

California and Oregon Pinot Noir may not be clones of their French brethren, but they shouldn't be -- they are grown in different soil, giving them what the French call "Terroir," which basically means that you can taste in the wine, the soil, sun, and orientation of the particular site where the grapes were grown.

If you are a fan of either California and Oregon Pinot Noir or French Burgundy, here are a few sites on the web that should appeal to you.

The first is free, the second will cost you a subscription....

http://www.princeofpinot.com/

http://www.burghound.com/index.php

Last edited:

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yes, it was called Bottle Shock. Not a bad movie. They played pretty fast and loose with the facts, but got the gist of it right. Alan Rickman has some very funny moments in it.

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Will check out the movie. I like NZ pinots as well -- similar climate and not surprisingly similar characteristics to Oregon pinots which I find usually have a mineral-y characteristic. As I usually order a bit heavier food than my wife, it's always a thing to find a wine that straddles -- these medium bodied pinots often fit the bill. Tougher to find, but there are some good Austrian pinots as well, they are sometimes IDd as Blauburgunder -- good ones are earthy and complex, though usually lighter than those from CA forex.

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
When I need a wine with a little more body than a Pinot Noir/Burgundy, but not as full bodied as a Cabernet or Syrah, I often choose a grenache based wine like a Chateauneuf Du Pape or a Cotes Du Rhone.

wineslob

Aug 5, 2010
I find most Ca Pinot terrible. Too many are the "cherry/berry" style marketed to women. Now, the J Rochioli Pinot Noir River Block (or west block) is a different story.....

rsbeck

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Which have you tried? IMO, there are some interesting producers in the Russian River and Santa Lucia Highlands areas.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing