Christmas Paris 2018

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
In 2018 my wife and I decided to spend Christmas in Paris ...

Stayed at the newly opened "LaFauchon" 5 starred boutique hotel which was nice enough but was suffering from some opening teething problems (felt more like a soft opening to us), a slightly quirky hotel, and most certainly not a true 5 starred hotel, but generally comfortable overall.

I have been to Paris countless times over the last 40 years with my work, and to be honest, was never really that impressed, always thought it was dirty and with rude people (Outside of Paris a different story though), however visiting as a couple on a romantic trip put a different spin on it, my wife spent some time at a French ballet school 25 years ago and is enamoured with all things French, so happily under the Cosh.

We did most of the usual tourist traps, Eiffel Tower, Versailles Palace (never been before and a pleasant surprise), Notre Dame (sadly 4 months later it shocked us and all the world with the truly awful fire), Sacre-Coeur Basilica (always a lovely view of Paris, a little like Hampstead Heath in London), The Louvre Museum (The Mona Lisa painting is tiny) etc ..

Went to see an Opera at the "Opera Bastille", very good it was too, but imagined that not as good as seeing it at the truly beautiful and Iconic and extravagantl "Opera de Paris"...

Of course culinary experiences are a plenty in Paris from the simple (just give me some freshly baked Crusty French bread with melting butter and a nice chunk of "compte" cheese, yum yum, we went to several restaurants for evening dinner including the Japanese 1 starred Michelin restaurant "Matsuhisa" which is inside the "Le Royal Monceau Raffles Hotel", but hands down the best food and experience was the gastronomic experience "Durcasse Sur Seine" a 100% electric boat with floor to ceiling windows affording spectacular views whilst gently floating along the river Seine, owned by the most decorated living Michelin starred chef (19 I believe), the outstanding "Alain Ducasse" (next time in Paris we will book at the "Le Meurice), whilst not a Michelin starred restaurant, it was outstanding, fabulously good service, great wine pairings, in fact with the Beef Wellington, the wine was "Chataeu Margaux", a very pleasant surprise as one my most favourite wines period, once this information was burted out and released to the waiter, she promptly kept my glass full (Needless to say a big tip was forthcoming at the end).

A truly lovely time was had by both of us....

IMG_0024.jpeg IMG_0031.jpeg IMG_0180.jpeg IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0411.JPG IMG_0970.JPG IMG_2262.JPG IMG_9666.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2262.JPG
    IMG_2262.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9938.JPG
    IMG_9938.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Good food, good wine...Great Trip!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It seems like you had a perfect trip! Wonderful!

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
Good food, good wine...Great Trip!

Thank you, we are both certainly in the camp of "live to eat" rather than the other way round, very fond of the first growth wines from the St Estephe, Paulillac, Saint-Julien, and of course Margaux areas, and all being on the left bank of the Garonne river.....

Best wishes

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
It seems like you had a perfect trip! Wonderful!
Thank you for the kind words,

Indeed, we both had a fabulous time and there will certainly be more trips to Paris in the future, maybe slightly shorter, as a side trip to the vineyards in Bordeaux has always been on my wish list of places to visit (been there for work, but never with time off sadly).

regards

Nagian

Jan 3, 2024
USA
Well, buddy, I must say you guys have an amaizng time there in 2018. I know I am late and can't reply here on time. Cause I'm a new member in this board and have joined this recently.

I'm glad to tell you that have an amzing time in 2023 New York Christmas party and that was credible for me. I enjoyed there a lot and now willing to know your last days experience.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing