Photo Highlights Of RMAF 2011

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Gary

can you share with all of us the nature of the tweeter you designed for your new speaker

The new Genesis tweeter is an evolutionary development from the original Genesis tweeter designed by the legendary Arnie Nudell - who also designed the Infinity(tm) EMIT(tm) tweeter. Infinity is now a Harman brand, but I don't think that they use ribbon tweeters anymore.

The Genesis tweeter has been regarded as "one of the world's best" in many reviews over the past 20 years, and I didn't mess with the original design until last year when I got a little bit more confident in my design capabilities.

One of the problems with tweeters is the dispersion/directivity. All drivers will beam, and they start beaming around a frequency at which the diameter of the driver is equal to the wavelength. So, for a 1" tweeter, it will beam at about 13kHz. Since I like to use a pair of loudspeakers with zero toe-in to define the window into the soundstage (sorry that I never finished the thread on the nature of sound....) I prefer a wider dispersion (and flatter power response) in the loudspeaker.

So, I would not use a driver close to where its diameter is equal to half the wavelength. Which means that for a 1" tweeter, I wouldn't use it above 6.5kHz so as to have a nice and wide dispersion. The smaller the driver, the wider the dispersion at higher frequencies, but the smaller the driver, the lower the efficiency.

The Genesis tweeter is technically a planar-magnetic, not a true ribbon. There are already lots of Chinese imitations of the Genesis tweeter abound, so I don't want to divulge too much. With the new design, I evolved it into a true 28mm diameter 4.75mm wide, ring radiator. Instead of a planar magnetic, I use the fringe field of a ring magnet.

The result is a driver that has the dispersion characteristics of a 4.75mm diameter point source (and hence I can use it up to 40kHz) but the radiating area of a 15mm diameter tweeter. Hopefully, I have managed to improve on the "world's best".

Steve, do you like my tweeter?

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Thanks for sharing

Maybe, next year my spouse and I will join you for dinner :cool:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The steal of the show was Roger's room where you get the speakers, amp and active crossover for $13K

A full range system with electrostatic transparency coupled with deep bass that plays at concert and rock levels. Add a home made music server(computer and dac) you have a world class system. Roger also sells cables. This definitely allows the audiophile to avoid many of the mix/match mistakes associated with building a system. Roger is not only measurement correct, he listens. He believes you should buy his speaker because it sounds good. He's right.

I have the same esteem for his speaker as I do for the Moscode 402au.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The new Genesis tweeter is an evolutionary development from the original Genesis tweeter designed by the legendary Arnie Nudell - who also designed the Infinity(tm) EMIT(tm) tweeter. Infinity is now a Harman brand, but I don't think that they use ribbon tweeters anymore.

The Genesis tweeter has been regarded as "one of the world's best" in many reviews over the past 20 years, and I didn't mess with the original design until last year when I got a little bit more confident in my design capabilities.

One of the problems with tweeters is the dispersion/directivity. All drivers will beam, and they start beaming around a frequency at which the diameter of the driver is equal to the wavelength. So, for a 1" tweeter, it will beam at about 13kHz. Since I like to use a pair of loudspeakers with zero toe-in to define the window into the soundstage (sorry that I never finished the thread on the nature of sound....) I prefer a wider dispersion (and flatter power response) in the loudspeaker.

So, I would not use a driver close to where its diameter is equal to half the wavelength. Which means that for a 1" tweeter, I wouldn't use it above 6.5kHz so as to have a nice and wide dispersion. The smaller the driver, the wider the dispersion at higher frequencies, but the smaller the driver, the lower the efficiency.

The Genesis tweeter is technically a planar-magnetic, not a true ribbon. There are already lots of Chinese imitations of the Genesis tweeter abound, so I don't want to divulge too much. With the new design, I evolved it into a true 28mm diameter 4.75mm wide, ring radiator. Instead of a planar magnetic, I use the fringe field of a ring magnet.

The result is a driver that has the dispersion characteristics of a 4.75mm diameter point source (and hence I can use it up to 40kHz) but the radiating area of a 15mm diameter tweeter. Hopefully, I have managed to improve on the "world's best".

Steve, do you like my tweeter?

I did Gary. Very unique in concept and design. You are quite the design engineer

Steve Williams

If Nola was there I missed it

As for the Acapella and JBL Everest I thought they produced some of the best sounds at the show much the same impression I had when I heard them at the Cali Audio Show in July

There was one room (photo is shown) with a pair of 1949 Western Ellectric horns that looked like an old makeshift speaker. The sound was to die for and I remember mep and I looked at each other in disbelief because it was so good. The gentleman doing the demo was Asian and told us that these older speakers have become revered and much sought after with one recently selling for $180K.

We had to get up and feel the white material around the drivers as it looked like styrofoam (but obviously wasn't)

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
If Nola was there I missed it

As for the Acapella and JBL Everest I thought they produced some of the best sounds at the show much the same impression I had when I heard them at the Cali Audio Show in July

There was one room (photo is shown) with a pair of 1949 Western Ellectric horns that looked like an old makeshift speaker. The sound was to die for and I remember mep and I looked at each other in disbelief because it was so good. The gentleman doing the demo was Asian and told us that these older speakers have become revered and much sought after with one recently selling for $180K.

We had to get up and feel the white material around the drivers as it looked like styrofoam (but obviously wasn't)

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the input. Nola (Accent is the company name, Nola is the Trademark) was supposed to be in Marriott Tower - Level 2, Room 2021. Apparently according to the list they must have also had speakers in Marriott Tower - Level 10, Room 1002.

Rich

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Clearaudio/Aesthetix Room-All of the electronics were from Aesthetix, the table was the Clearaudio Innovation, and the speakers were the new Vandersteen 7s. The sound in this room was simply incredible. I don’t know if I have ever heard a turntable as good as this new Clearaudio. Not only does this thing look stunning, it sounds stunning. This table has a super black background that the sound just explodes from. They were playing the Lightening Hopkins “Going Away” LP and the sound was breathtaking and I don’t use that adjective often. The guitar plucks were hair raising. I went downstairs to where they were selling music and I was lucky to score a sealed 45 RPM copy of the LP as they are now out of print. $55 and a steal at that. If I was selling any turntable at the price range of this new Clearaudio table and especially if I was selling a table that cost more, I would be very afraid. It’s hard to imagine there is a better table anywhere at any price including the top of the line table from Clearaudio (which I haven’t heard). It’s simply that good and should be a must audition if you are shopping in that price range.

Wow, that is great news on your listening impressions of the Clearaudio "Master" Innovation. Wish I could of been there. I have already purchased this table (The first one in North America) and will hopefully recieve it by December. I usually don't like spending that much money sight unseen and sound unheard, however being an Innovation Compact owner and lover of the sound, it was a risk I was willing to take. I think this table is a tremendous value $$$ wise, relatively speaking.

Last edited:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

There is a lot of interest in vintage loudspeakers in Asia. Even vintage designs. The Tannoy Westminster is still a popular high-end choice. One of my pairs of G5.3's even got de-throned by a pair of 1950's JBLs in the home of one of my friends in Singapore.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
As I commented Christian, this room for my ears was the best in show.

The TT was truly magnificent with their TOL cartridge.

Thanks Steve. I am really enjoying the pics and discussions regarding the show. I need to get out there next year. Have you been to CES ? Which is a better show to attend, in your opinion ? I realize CES is a lot more than hi-end audio....but that's what I am really interested in....audio only.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Wow, that is great news on your listening impressions of the Clearaudio "Master" Innovation. Wish I could of been there. I have already purchased this table (The first one in North America) and will hopefully recieve it by December. I usually don't like spending that much money sight unseen and sound unheard, however being an Innovation Compact owner and lover of the sound, t was a rsk I was willing to take. I think this table is a tremendous value $$$ wise, relatively speaking.

Christian-You are going to be one happy camper after you receive your table. What arm are you going to use?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Christian-You are going to be one happy camper after you receive your table. What arm are you going to use?

I have a Clearaudio Universal that I am using a Shelter Harmony cart on and a Graham Phantom II Supreme (I just received last week) that I am using the Ortofon A90 on. The 3rd arm is yet to be determined. The contenders are the Talea 2 or the Reed 3Q... I hoping to stop spending money soon...lol

Steve Williams

Thanks Steve. I am really enjoying the pics and discussions regarding the show. I need to get out there next year. Have you been to CES ? Which is a better show to attend, in your opinion ? I realize CES is a lot more than hi-end audio....but that's what I am really interested in....audio only.

I go to both but it seems that RMAF is rising to the top of the heap. When I go to CES I spend little time on the convention floor but rather at the Venetian listening to audio

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

I would recommend that you go to RMAF. CES is a professional trade show, and we (the manufacturers) have to focus on the business at hand. If we are in discussion with a distributor who might have flown thousands of miles to come visit, we are unlikely to be able to entertain you if you come into our room and ask to listen to some music. On the other hand, with RMAF, we'll play anything you bring in. One guy brought in half a dozen CDs and a couple of LP's and we had time to play most of them until someone else complained that he was hogging the system. The RMAF is a much friendlier show.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I agree Gary and BTW, even though CES sends my badge 3 months early I still have to wait in line to get the badge holder with lines commonly longer than at RMAF

Yes, and with CES, admission is by badge holder and not the badge (which can be easily duplicated). If you don't want to wait in line, get a guest invitation from one of the manufacturers, and then get the badge holder from them. If Lamm is showing, they are likely to be able to get you one as you are a dealer. I'm sure you won't want to be walking around with a Genesis badge, otherwise I'd get you one.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Great pics Steve. Thank You.
I see the new SF Guarneri Evolutions were present. Did anyone have a chance to listen to that room? I see they were demo'ing with Prima Luna ( NOT what I think would have been a good match, but:confused:)
I like the stands that Jonathan Tinn is using for his Dart gear in your photo, what are they called....."invisistands":D

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I would recommend that you go to RMAF. CES is a professional trade show, and we (the manufacturers) have to focus on the business at hand. If we are in discussion with a distributor who might have flown thousands of miles to come visit, we are unlikely to be able to entertain you if you come into our room and ask to listen to some music. On the other hand, with RMAF, we'll play anything you bring in. One guy brought in half a dozen CDs and a couple of LP's and we had time to play most of them until someone else complained that he was hogging the system. The RMAF is a much friendlier show.

Thanks for that info Gary. Much appreciated.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing