Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
The Kef Reference however was magnificent

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Well Done Thanks Steve.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
This was my first audio show I have ever attended and it was a little overwhelming at first. Steve and I were able to spend some time with Gary and his sister Carol in his Genesis room after we arrived on Thursday afternoon. I brought a couple of LPs which Gary played and it’s always nice to hear jazz I’m familiar with. Gary was quite taken with the Sonny Clark LP “Sonny’s Crib” and so am I. We returned to Gary’s room on Friday morning and I was amazed at how much the sound had changed from the night before. The sound had really opened up from when we first arrived on Thursday and it sounded much better.

Thanks, Mark for sharing Sonny's Crib - it's the first time I've heard it, and it's fabulous. Well worth getting the 45rpm reissue. I've doing a bit of research on that album before buying. I understand that the original master was mono.... and thinking that the mono might even be better. There's a micro-groove (deep groove) 47 West 63rd pressing that I'm watching on eBay. Bidding's up to $125 already.

I'm glad that you came on Thursday night, listened and came back on Friday morning. This is just something that all exhibitors have to contend with. We set the system up cold the day before the show, and some of us constantly tweak the system as it settles in and warms up. When you and Steve came in on Friday, we were still running with a bit of a ground buzz and the ground broken between the preamp and the power amp. Strangely, no one commented on me stringing two balanced cables together and running it across the floor!!!

It was sometime late Friday afternoon when I was staring at the two Interocitors that Steve had brought and that he had stacked at the display table that I slapped myself on the head, shut the system down and plugged one of them in. If you thought that the sound had improved from Thur to Fri morning, you would have been even more stunned if you had come in Sunday morning. ;)

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
...and I would be interested to hear if any of them preferred the sound of digital to analog in any room where they heard both. It wasn’t close in my opinion. Ken is a guy who only plays digital music at home and I hope he chimes in with his thoughts. He might feel the opposite of course.
Ken is way too smart to express an opinion, Mark. He's source neutral. ;-)

Roger Sanders-This room was clearly one of the best for me and Steve both. The package deal that Roger offers for his speakers, amp, and the electronic crossover for the bass that he factory presets for you has to represent one of the biggest bargains in high-end audio. $13K buys you the entire package and judging by what I heard at the show, it competes with systems that easily cost 10x Roger’s price. The sound was pure as you would expect from an electrostat, but what you don’t expect so much from electrostats is the SPLs these can play at and with great dynamic range. The sound was simply stunning and I didn’t want to leave the room and said so.
You know, I've heard Roger's speakers at two shows, now, and both times they were simply stunning. I certainly didn't hear all the speakers shown, but of those I did, the standouts for me were the KEF Reference (wanted to hear the Blade again on Saturday, but they had shipped them off), the Vandersteen V7 and the little Evos.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing