Parasite

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
And having said that, I feel Sam Mendez will win Best Director BUT if there is an user in the making, don't discount Bong Joon-Ho to win Best Director which opens the door for him to win Best Picture

Alfonso Cuaron won last year as Director for Roma but Roma failed to win Best Picture

Let us also not forget the movie "Life Is Beautiful"

It will happen one day just as a Netflix movie will win the Oscar for Best Film.

Reactions: jadis

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
Better late than never, we just watched Parasite a couple of days ago.

We really liked the movie - lots of twists and turns.

Normally I don't really like reading subtitles but I didn't miss a beat with this one.

Wasn't anything like I expected - much better than I anticipated.

As for Academy Awards, I am the worst at predicting them so I won't.

Have Marriage Story in the queue for today.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
If Parasite would have been made in Hollywood it could have won four Oscars coming up this Sunday. Two is about right, top two too...Best International Film and Best Original Screenplay.

Roma last year (a film with subtitles, black and white, from Mexico, on Netflix) won all the 3 major awards (Best Foreign Film, Best Director and Best Cinematography)...except Best Picture.

This year Parasite (a film with subtitles, supreme satire, in colors, with blood...red ketchup, from South Korea, in few theaters) will repeat Roma's exploit except for Best Director and Best Cinematography. These last two, including Best Picture belongs to 1917.

That's my personal prediction. But if Parasite also win the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay that would be a grandiose coup...also my prediction. ....We'll see.

It's a funny thing between the two film directors of Parasite and Once Upon a Time... in Hollywood.
Because both films are supreme satires, use violence and blood, are the "goodfeel" type of revenge films...even approaching the message in Joker; another film with blood and violence, but much more serious in tone...extremely serious. Three films, two Oscars each...for a total of six...the number of Oscars 1917 will get all by itself.

Of course that's my prediction, not necessarily the true real outcome.
What I voted and what 9,000 Academy voters have voted are 9,001 different votes.
It's the overall average ...

I'm looking forward big time to see Bong Joon-ho, Quentin Tarantino, Martin Scorsese, Sam Mendes, Joaquin Phoenix's faces and hear their speeches @ the Oscars.
If we don't hear from Martin Scorsese Sunday, watch out for his next film later this year ...

The cast from Parasite is totally and delightfully horrific. It strikes the chords in many people and it shakes the foundations of Disneyland and Stars Wars and Avengers and La La Land.

2019 was the year of supreme satires in movies...including Dolemite is my Name (from the Netflix establishment). ...Humor, sarcasm, overboard, more than sci-fi, approaching surreal, related to hyperreal, comparable to real. But real life is way more overboard exaggerated than any of those films; just check the news every day around the world ...

Parasite is perhaps the closest to real life. ...That, is scary. :eek::D
It's good, real good, but not like being in the trenches of 1917 ...
The sounds in 1917, some of them (the trip wire explosion in the tunnel) will have you duck under the seat of the next person sitting besides you, and your heart race faster than Ford v Ferrari @ Le Mans 66, from those roaring engine revolutions...7,000rpm.

Parasite doesn't have sounds like that, or a memorable music score, or the caliber of cinematography of 1917, or ... What it excels best in is ... Charisma from its entire cast, the supreme humor mixed with extreme detachment from compassion in absolute horrific ways.
It is scary good, almost based on a true story ... It should win Best Original Screenplay in my opinion.

:cool:

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hollywood would never let a foreign film win best picture.

They did. Incredible upset. Speaks a lot about the work of these group of people who made the film. Hats off. My brother just told me he and his family went to see the movie a 2nd time a few days ago in a cinema. And he doesn't even know bout the awards yet.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I've just reread my above post (#23), which was from last Thursday; anticipated.

It's like Parasite was specially made for Hollywood by Hollywood, by winning Best Picture and Best Director. And yet it's a non-English film, South Korean.
It's like they avenged last year's Roma, a Mexican film from Netflix.
They gave the grand prize to Green Book.
I was certain that 1917 would get it this year. I was wrong.

Last edited:

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
I haven't seen 1917 yet but Parasite was way better than Roma.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I haven't seen 1917 yet but Parasite was way better than Roma.

Totally agree

The only subtitled movie that won for Best International Film that I liked more than Parasite and was a phenom the year it won (1999) was Life Is Beautiful which also garnered Best Actor award to Roberto Benigni who also wrote and directed the filmoberto walking over chairs to accept the award

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
A Black & White release (physical disc) is in the works ...

Also, The Criterion Collection is working on its own Blu-ray disc release.
Plus there will be a 4K version ... Universal Studios.

Extra: https://lunapalace.com.au/select-film+3451+parasite-bw

Parasite is the talk of this new decade ... till 1917 comes up on 4K UHD Blu-ray disc later on this Spring with glorious HDR picture (D Vision) and surround D Atmos sound.
And of course No Time to Die, Tenet, Killers of the Flower Moon ...

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
?? https://store.hmv.com/store/film-tv/blu-ray/parasite-limited-edition-steelbook

Includes
  • Theatrical Cut
  • Black & White Cut

Parasite Limited Edition Blu-ray Steelbook
£24.99
Released: 1st June 2020

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My daughter has begun watching a new Korean TV series on Netflix called Crash Landing on You. She is hooked and watch it till 1am, and my wife is on to it too now, so is my older sister. The backdrop is North and South Korea, enough to give you 'tensions'. I should be watching it pretty soon.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Beautiful movie!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Late to the party. This has got to be the best dark comedy I have ever seen. Nobody seems to be talking about the movie's other star. THAT HOUSE! I can't imagine the movie shot in any other location.

Reactions: asiufy

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Late to the party. This has got to be the best dark comedy I have ever seen. Nobody seems to be talking about the movie's other star. THAT HOUSE! I can't imagine the movie shot in any other location.

Now that you mentioned it, Jack, that is very true. Huge house with all the amenities of modern living plus a secret tunnel!

Am now on my 6th episode of the Korean Netflix series Crash Landing on You. Very good plot and it keeps developing , and gives us a glimpse of life inside North Korea, seem accurate. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You too Phil? Well I'm on break and with all the hysteria, I might as well LOL

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
You too Phil? Well I'm on break and with all the hysteria, I might as well LOL

Yeah Jack. Sigh, the hysteria here is making people hoard toilet paper. Hope your area is calm. :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Let's pray the famous Filipino hygiene habits keep the disease from spreading.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing