Parasite

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
A bit disappointing given the hype. Rent "Shoplifters" instead....

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
gotta agree about Parasite. Things could have been different if the wealthy people had a nice audio system in their home.
didn't care much for Shoplifters either...

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
• MRQE = 94%
• Metacritic = 96%
• Rotten Tomatoes = 99%

It is gaining momentum in awards, nominations, etc.
...Cinematography, Best Picture, Best Foreign Language Film, Best Director, Best Screenplay ...
There are only three films which are @ the top this year with the biggest chance to win the grand slam @ the Oscars. ...Facts from stats since the year 2007 (last thirteen years).
Those three are nominated (Golden Globe) in the three main categories ...
1. BEST PICTURE
2. BEST DIRECTOR
3. BEST SCREENPLAY

And from those only three films nominated from the above, Parasite (Korean) is one of them.
The other two are Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood (American), and The Irishman (American).

I didn't see Parasite (sounds like a "bug" movie...I hate bugs), but now I want to see it because it's the movie with the highest ratings all across the board and it's garnering more and more awards and nominations. I feel that I was sleeping under the bus in the middle of a very hot day in Mexico (hammock siesta in the shade).

Is there such a thing that a "bug" movie can be called a masterpiece?
I want to see more Parasite than 1917 ... I think I'm old fashion and need to get on with the program. Is it me or everyone else ...

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
gotta agree about Parasite. Things could have been different if the wealthy people had a nice audio system in their home.
didn't care much for Shoplifters either...

Is it a vibe kinda like Die Antword’s short video?

There’s been a rash of entitled victim stuff in media, where because they are “without” they can do whatever they want as though it’s justified.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I just saw it. It's almost inconsiderate to others to make any detailed comments. Don't let anyone tell you anything about it and don't read any reviews. It is a must see. An excellent and well-crafted piece of film-making.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I just saw it. It's almost inconsiderate to others to make any detailed comments. Don't let anyone tell you anything about it and don't read any reviews. It is a must see. An excellent and well-crafted piece of film-making.
seeing it tomorrow. It has made its way back into theaters for consideration

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Added to my Netflix queue. It release 1/28/20.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Marty seems to have good movie taste, I know he does...it's a fact.

January 28 (almost two weeks before the Oscars)

On Blu-ray coming up yes, on Netflix no ...
https://thenetline.com/parasite-movie-netflix/
{They said Jan 14 on Blu-ray; it's an error...Jan 28 is the correct date}

Last edited:

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
Seen Yesterday at last. Truly excellent in images and interpretation of all characters.
A different approach and analysys of social classes in respect to European view.
A dramatic crescendo towards an unexpected final. A friend of mine, great cinema lover, sentenced "a disturbing movie, neverthless great".
Who of us Dear WBF Friends has seen the scene with the stereo system? I supposed that speakers are similar to some rare EV or JBL models, someone can let me know something more?

Kenc

Jan 3, 2019
Toronto, Canada
sorry, a little late to this but my humble favourite "Foreign" picture of 2019 is Song of Names - it's Canadian!
not the greatest reviews but it's a must for music lovers and it just resonated with me.

Reactions: NorthStar

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My brother, wife, and daughter are Korean TV/movie fans, for many years. My wife and daughter sometimes watch a Korean TV series in their cell phones, and in rare occasions the 2 cramp together in a bed to watch it together so they can laugh together, that is some sight. So when my brother told me to watch this movie and not to miss it, I did it with my whole family. We watched till past midnight and nobody felt sleepy. There was comedy, drama and suspense mixed all together and the acting was very good too. Great story and one could never have guessed the middle part and the ending part, as to how it went. All my life I had been preaching to my kids to watch our for schemers and fast talkers and this just sums it up, that was the bonus.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
However from Time magazine...

But Parasite looms from close behind. No foreign language film has ever won best picture—but Bong Joon-Ho’s bloody, labyrinthine film just set a similar precedent as the first foreign language film to win the SAG Award for outstanding cast performance. The film received two raucous standing ovations at that ceremony—and the preferential ballot may help a film that was widely respected by a wide array of viewers.

Reactions: howiebrou

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing