Pacific owners - use preamp or not?

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I am obtaining Pacific with volume reg. and like to ask people who owns it if you use preamp or not. If you use preamp what brand and why.

micha b.

Sep 19, 2021
I use of course a Preamp (ARC Ref 40)….in my opinion you need for sure a very good preamp to top the volume control in the Pacific or Horizon…but then you have more powerful mids, more “strength“…and maybe a loss of some tiny details

Reactions: Zappadaddy

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
No one else using preapmp with Pacific?

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
I use the Pacific as both a pre-amp and source selector for vinyl.

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
I have a Pac2 with a Conrad Johnson GAT2 preamp. The combination yields more body, greater natural sounding instrument/vocal tonality, and more emotional engagement than using the Pac2 alone. BTW, I had a “shootout” with the GAT2, an ARC Ref10, and a VAC Master. While all had their strengths the GAT2 clearly delivers a more emotionally involving listening experience. Would love to hear CJ’s ART 88 one day!

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Pacific 2 using D Agostinno's Krell Evolution 202 and seperate power supply = very happy
Have you actually tried without preamp?

Reactions: dbeau

Zappadaddy

Dec 27, 2020
Czech rep
I have bought Pacific version from 2020 balanced with vol.reg. beacause of the impedance mismatch it was not listenable, when I inserted preamp NAT Magnetic real music started to coming out of the source, incredible and emotional, I could not stay still, it made me sit-dance. Magnetis is on loan only and I feel it is not the end of the game preamp. How about Allni 7000 pre? Anyone has an experience?

Reactions: bonzo75

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing