Does anyone own the new Coda S5.5 amp?

FT251

Jan 22, 2022
Looking for those that have this amp and how they like it. What are you driving and what preamp do you use with it. Thanks.

Minatophase3

Aug 20, 2022
Seattle area
I just purchased one, have had it for about 10 days now. I had been using an Accuphase E-380 integrated to drive my Spatial Audio M4 Sapphire open baffle speakers (4Ohm, 90db). I am now using the Accuphase E-380 as the preamp and connecting via RCA to the S5.5.

I love my Accuphase but the allure a a pure class A amp was too great not to try. Having listened to the S5.5 and done back to back comparisons withe the Accuphase I will say that the S5.5 does everything better than that Accuphase amp. It has much better control over the bass, and it is faster/tigher. The midrange is where the Accuphase shines in my opinion and I would say the S5.5 is equally as good. The upper range is where the S5.5 really pulls away from the Accuphase, it is much clearer, more detailed and airy. Not a bit of harshness and no listening fatigue.

The S5.5 has added so much detail and clarity to the music it is crazy. Everything is crystal clear and detailed yet the music just flows and sounds amazing, nothing harsh or clinical.

I know for 100% certain the S5.5 is staying in my system. The only question is do I sell the Accuphase and get a dedicated preamp or keep using the E-380 as a preamp only.

Highly recommend the S5.5!

FT251

Jan 22, 2022
@Minatophase3

Thanks, this is what I keep hearing on another forum, I went out on a limb and ordered this Amp 2.5 weeks ago, hoping it ships soon. I appreciate your reply sir.

Hankey

Feb 24, 2024
Spofford New Hampshire
I bought one and received it earlier last month. It now has well over 200 hours on it. I can’t recommend it enough! It sounds fantastic driving my Magico S5 speakers which are 89db and 4 ohms. It replaces a Luxman M900U amp which specs at three times the rated power Of the Coda. The little Coda sounds more powerful. It may be due to the 100 amperes that it produces.

The Luxman is a great amp and sounds more velvety but, the Coda is much more clear and silky smooth On top. It goes deeper in the bass and is much more articulate and nuanced. It sounds better to me in every way across the board.

I had a bit of buyer’s remorse while waiting for the Coda to arrive thinking that it would not be powerful enough but, that quickly went away when I inserted the amp in me system.

I’m using a Luxman C900U preamp which seems to be a very good match with the Coda. At the price of the Coda I think it is one of the best deals in high end audio.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing