NTT Audiolabs Model 101 Anybody heard this Loudspeakers?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
There is a saying in holland , a wise man learns from others mistakes , only a fool learns from his own.
Any technology essentially developes from work that others did before them and perfect it to a larger degree , but i also agree a bit on that the larger ntt models have maybe to much incommon with the big wilsons , but it wouldnt stop me from buying, proof of the pudding is in the eating.

I believe the quote is a wise man learns from others mistakes , a fool learns only from his own.

Presumably, a wise man could learn from both his mistakes and those of others, while a fool will only learn from his own mistakes. ;)

Carry on gents. . . .

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, gentlemen. Does anybody know if this speaker is directionally adjustable like the Wilson? It may the picture but it looks fixed.

Tom

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Also from the specs quite different , ,very high efficiency model , the choice of the
tweeter limits to a great deal the overal efficiency of the speaker , on a 98 db a fostex would qualify , but they use also focal , a td 5 which has a eff of 94,5 db iirc, that might also be the reason the xlf(sodft dome ) is 94 db instead of the 95 db X 2

Look forward what you think of my design , got the first 3 D computer graphic iso metric models in from the MTM today

My mistake : they both use focal bass speakers (audiom series?) but the ntt uses 2 15 inchers and at one time they also used fostex in their topmodel

3 - Way Bi-wire or
4 - Way Bi-amp
Drivers: 2 -15" Focal W.2 Rear-ported
2 - 6" .5 Sealed Focal 6WM
1 - Inverted Dome Sealed Focal TD-5
Freq Response: +/- 3db 16Hz - 45kHz Sensitivity: 2.83/1m at 98db
Imp: 8 Ohm rolls down to 4 Ohm
Crossover: 16Hz / 250Hz / 45kHz
Power Needs: 15W - 1000W
Dimensions: 70" H x 18.5" W x 31.5" D
Weight: 1245 lbs each
Shipping weight with 4 boxes: 2700 lbs

The crossover frequency at 45 kHz can't be correct.

4.5 kHz seems more like it.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I didnt see that , that indeed looks to be wrong , the focal tweeter (TD 5 )starts breaking up seriously when you get close to 20 khz as most metal domes do , and a 15 inch woofer crossing over at 16 hz ???:D X -sing over to what? certainly not the 6,5 inch mid unit which will not play that low

Last edited:

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Here are other specs with curious crossover points from the NTT Audiolab website:

101 Mkll Specifications
Configuration: 3-way floor standing, Bi wire or 4-way bi-amp Drivers: 2–15”W Audiom.2 Back-ported. 2–6.5 Accuton Ceramic and 1. Fostex T500MKII
Frequency Response: 15.2Hz – 90 kHz +/- 3db Sensitivity: 2.83/1m at 98db to 115db Impedance: 8 Ohm rolls down +/- 4 Ohm and 2 Ohm Crossover: 14Hz / 240Hz / 92kHz
Recommended: 10W – 1000W Color: Any automobile Paint Color Dimension: 71.2” H x 18.5” W x 32.5” D Weight: 1315 lbs each Shipping weight with 4 wood crates: 2960 lbs+Accessories Made in the USA

? ? ? ? ? The HF crossover point is higher than speced frequency response and the LF crossover point is below it.

Who the hell do they have proof-reading their copy?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
...or what drugs were they on...look at the weight. Each? My word. The X2's weigh 605 lbs each for comparison.

Tom

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
That looks indeed wrong to me as well , the 15 inch woofer minus 3 db point is 15,2 hz , therefore it would be something like -3,5 db at 14 hz which is the roll off of that woofer and not the x overpoint .
The 240 hz would be a natural x point for the woofers to give over to the mids , there seems to be missing the x over point to the tweeter .
14 hz and 92 khz are the limits for the output of the system not the x overpoints

By the way, with some accutonmids one could indeed built a 98 db eff speaker so that could be right , i played with the idea myself but i dont think accton/ceramics/diamond material is the most natural sounding in the end .
http://www.accuton.de/drivers/detail.php?driver=14&matID=4&appID=3

One reason also being the FR behaviour of that high eff unit, if you click on Frequency response at the bottom you ll see it ,not exactly neutral to start with

Last edited:

hungn76016

Jan 23, 2014
Hi
I have the NTT AUDIOLAB 101S for 6 years now. Compared with Wilson Alexandria , NTT AUDIOLAB 101S has a very different sound .

I have the biggest model driving with Pass 200.5’s, Conrad GAT, AR CD-8, MIT Oracle IC’s, Transparent MM1 Ref SC’s, and all top of line Synergistic PC’s.

These speakers are quite large (over 1200 lbs. each) and require a large room for the best but you can get the smaller version that works for your room. These will not only give you WOW factors for the look but the sound is unbelievably impressive. The clarity, the resolution (each instrument and each note are crisply), and instruments separation (you’ll hear the drummer to the far left, while the piano plays to the right, and the singer is dead on center stage) are top notch but what struck me the most part was the spacious and airy with the REVERBERATION effect. This gave me a sense of being in a wide concert hall with a very tall ceiling, almost like a church sound effect.

Secondly I was blown away by just how effortless they sound with any types of music from the lowest octaves on up through the highest of highs. The sound and sound pressure levels are just inspiring, dynamically is one of the best, the bass reproduction has speed and notes that most of anything out there cannot match. You can crank this speaker to crushing sound pressure levels and it will never lose its grip and remain fidelity. This is also true at low volume.

Finally, if you are looking for towering soundstage, look no further. Its soundstage is wide and deep, closer to the scale of a large orchestra or a full organ.

Thanks Hung

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
So the weight IS correct. Wow.

Oh, my manners. Welcome to the forum hungn76016.

Tom

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
My vote would be to send them to Valin, schlep them up the stairs to his listening room, and wait to see if his house collapses. If it doesn't, I might be tempted to go hear them somewhere.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
There is a 101 on eBay right now for $130k.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing