Night-time listening with lights off

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I like listening to music at night with lights off, less distractions. I Like using just my ears and of course with a nice glass of red close by.
The Farad Super3 LED is a bit bright, I must do something about that one.

Anyone else enjoy this?

Images below shows what I see with the lights off and what it looks like in daylight.

Night
Night 1.jpg

Day
System.jpg

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I love listening in the dark too, but I can't enjoy it with bright LEDs... gotta tame those!

Reactions: ctydwn

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I am with you on that one MadFloyd, I don’t know how people sit in the dark with Mcintosh amps. :eek:

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
And what do you listen to in the dark? Something scary I hope

Dracula.jpg

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
An alternative is using one of the sleeping masks that also give a bit of accupressure the the eyes and keep them shut without effort. Completely dark, and it is an interesting way to listen without even turning off the lights.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I love listening in the dark too, but I can't enjoy it with bright LEDs... gotta tame those!
I like to use small white button felts that you buy to place under items like lamps to protect from marking up coffee/end tables. The smallest ones stick over bright LED bulbs and still allow a bit of diffused light to pass through, so you get a bit of a glow instead of a headlamp-in-your-eyes. And the adhesive is usually mild and doesn’t stick to your gear when removed.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
7B42BE4A-7547-4CD8-A41E-C27878EA78D5.jpeg I like just a bit of light in my room so the landscape lights outside don’t create too much contrast.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my typical serious listening approach.....about 40% of the time......anytime of the day or year. my eyes resting but not shut tight. allows my mind to reach the 'zen' place. i'm relaxed and in a comfort zone. and this works if i have visitors too, they can navigate in the room, but find their own state of comfort.

if i'm digital 'only' (close to bed time) then those LED lamps above the tt's and RTR decks are off. and those LED's are not as bright as the camera is picking up here. unless i have a light colored pressing that gets reflective.

i don't care for pitch black listening, too distracting. your mind gets a bit defensive about what you don't know. it's the way we are all hard wired.

dim (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I have low light in the room too. Use Lutron MA1000 dimmers. They have excelent filters and don't polute your power. 600s will work also.

Beautiful room Bob. I have wanted to reach out and meet when I'm in Portland. I believe your room is the one I watched the build out on.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I like to use small white button felts that you buy to place under items like lamps to protect from marking up coffee/end tables. The smallest ones stick over bright LED bulbs and still allow a bit of diffused light to pass through, so you get a bit of a glow instead of a headlamp-in-your-eyes. And the adhesive is usually mild and doesn’t stick to your gear when removed.
I do the exact same thing except my felt dots are brown or green! Gear pilot lights are a complete distraction.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Nice rooms Bobvin & Mike Lavigne :cool:

Reactions: jazdoc and Bobvin

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I used a hole punch on some photographers blackout tape to make very small black tape circles which I used to cover some of my lights, but the rack is off to the side so I don’t really see them anyway.

I used to have cardboard sheets inserted into my amplifiers faceplate to cover the big Pass Labs oculus meter. Now with my new speaker positions, the speakers are in front of the amps so there’s just a slight glow in the front of the room and I do not see the lights directly. The amps illuminate the back of my speakers creating a soft glow.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I have low light in the room too. Use Lutron MA1000 dimmers. They have excelent filters and don't polute your power. 600s will work also.

Beautiful room Bob. I have wanted to reach out and meet when I'm in Portland. I believe your room is the one I watched the build out on.
Ping me when you’re going to be in the neighborhood.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
LOL! I have many components back asswards now, so it is easy to swap cables and reach buttons. It also places the lights towards the wall where they provide soft, diffuse accents instead of pointed lasers. i think light amber is the best audio light. I put dark orange-amber LEDs into my Yamaha B2 and they really were the most relaxing types. I hate direct blue lights the most, but when shone onto the wall, they are OK.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
My Audio Tekne amp has a neon (gas) indicator light. Looks much better than eye piercing LEDs.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I like just a bit of light in my room so the landscape lights outside don’t create too much contrast.
very nice!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . . i don't care for pitch black listening, too distracting. your mind gets a bit defensive about what you don't know. . . .

+1

I like the lights to be quite dim, but I am still able to see.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I think the warm glow of valve amps would be good in situations like this, or a nice open fire place would be nice too. :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
I don’t know how people sit in the dark with Mcintosh amps
IIrc the backlight on the McIntosh meters can be switched off.
But then again, when someone buys McIntosh gear, the pale blue light is probably a big part of the appeal ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing