WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Who wants to bet it will be a video? :D

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
When Dave and Sheryl Wilson first saw the "New WAMM" installed in their music room:

willsons 2.jpg

Attachments

• Wilsons.jpg
    Wilsons.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 859
Last edited:

darkmatter

Mar 11, 2014
East Anglia UK
Just wonder if a pair will make it to UK shores, I play the Lotto in vain hope!!

Anyway here is an image from the website of part of the lower Bass module

Height: 82" without spikes / 208.28cm (7' tall with spikes)
Width:23"/58.42cm
Depth:35"/88.90cm

Lower Bass units 15" and 13" or 18" & 15" ??

From one of the pictures earlier in the thread there appears to be outriggers to support the array assembly, so maybe 15" & 13" are being used. Anyway always fun to speculate!

WAMM Bass module.jpg

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Soft dome tweeter or something SOTA?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Does anyone know why, or have a theory as to why, Wilson Audio, apparently, does not believe in the M-T-M driver configuration, which affords the opportunity to have large woofers at both the top and the bottom of the cabinet (e.g., Rockport Arrakis, Evolution Acoustics MM3, MM7, Von Schweikert Audio VR-11/Ultra 11)?

(I obviously know nothing about speaker design but that D'Appolito configuration just makes sense to me for state-of-the-art dynamic driver speakers.)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Does anyone know why, or have a theory as to why, Wilson Audio, apparently, does not believe in the M-T-M driver configuration, which affords the opportunity to have large woofers at both the top and the bottom of the cabinet (e.g., Rockport Arrakis, Evolution Acoustics MM3, MM7, Von Schweikert Audio VR-11/Ultra 11)?

(I obviously know nothing about speaker design but that D'Appolito configuration just makes sense to me for state-of-the-art dynamic driver speakers.)

I thought I read somewhere a true M-T-M design uses the same size mid-range drivers. It seems Wilson current designs use two different sized mid's which cover slightly different ranges.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
MTM stands for midrange unit - tweeter - midrange unit .
Wilson does use that but places the woofers underneath (until now )
The evolution acoustics MM3 is W-M-T-M-W configuration:D.

PS whether when one mid is handling a slightly different freq range is still a MTM ,... i dont know i guess so.
Joe dappolito MTM configuration is a MTM construction with a particular X over filtering

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
2 weeks till all the wraps are off?
talk about a slow burn!!! :)
quite refreshing in today's instant gratification digital world.

shane, you got 2 weeks to place your order. :cool:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
2 weeks till all the wraps are off?
talk about a slow burn!!! :)
quite refreshing in today's instant gratification digital world.

shane, you got 2 weeks to place your order. :cool:

James. If it has the soft dome tweeter, I afraid I am going to have to pass and keep my current Wilsons ;)

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
would love it if it turned out to be a plasma ion tweeter!
then you will need to buy.
just sell a few records... :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing