New Spectral/MIT cables

coopersark

May 24, 2013
According to the dealer the 300 is more "tube like", generally understood as "warmer" sounding.

I have been using the Spectral DMA 400's for about a year. I have used the Spectral 360's and 180 in my system. The context is a full Spectral system (4000SL CD player and DMC30SSII preamp) all signal cabling is the top MIT Oracle MAX SHD. Loudspeakers are Magico Q5's. The sonic improvement from the 360's to the 400's is quite staggering. There is an immediate sense of the frequency extremes being extended. The whole presentation is at once more dynamic, lively, and spacious, with much more inner detail resolution. If the 300 amp ends up sounding like a less powerful pair of 400's that may very well become the "sweet spot" of the Spectral amplification line. At this point, were it my main amplification, in the context of an all Spectral audio system, the 300 amplifier would be the lowest model that I would consider (Assuming that it is cut from the same sonic cloth as the 400's). Swithcing from these new reference amplifiers to their previous models is similar to throwing a light blanket over your loudspeakers! IMG_0784.jpg IMG_0781.jpg IMG_1841.jpg IMG_0780.jpg

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I have been using the Spectral DMA 400's for about a year. I have used the Spectral 360's and 180 in my system. The context is a full Spectral system (4000SL CD player and DMC30SSII preamp) all signal cabling is the top MIT Oracle MAX SHD. Loudspeakers are Magico Q5's. The sonic improvement from the 360's to the 400's is quite staggering. There is an immediate sense of the frequency extremes being extended. The whole presentation is at once more dynamic, lively, and spacious, with much more inner detail resolution. If the 300 amp ends up sounding like a less powerful pair of 400's that may very well become the "sweet spot" of the Spectral amplification line. At this point, were it my main amplification, in the context of an all Spectral audio system, the 300 amplifier would be the lowest model that I would consider (Assuming that it is cut from the same sonic cloth as the 400's). Swithcing from these new reference amplifiers to their previous models is similar to throwing a light blanket over your loudspeakers!

That would be consistent with what the dealer told me and what to expect from the 300s. He also mentioned there will be a 260 MKII upgrade (not sure how much reference series technology will make it in to that amp, and if the 260 will be upgradeable).

My original plan was to get a used 260 to do a Spectral "proof of concept", and upgrade to a 300 if I like the "Spectral" sound. Based on feedback like this, I changed the plan and will go straight to 300 (funds permitting). In case it is not to my taste, I'll resell it, taking probably just a 10% hit, considering long wait time and high demand for this amp.

Last edited:

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Good luck! I think that going with the 300 is the right decision. I am sure that you will have a wait. I had waited about a year for my 400 amps. The wait was well worth it, as they play in another league than Spectral's previous efforts. I still own several of their earlier amps (DMA 150 & 180) and while they are very listenable, they are both veiled and dynamically constricted compared to the 400's. Happy Listening!

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Holy crap coopersark, that is one unbelievable setup!! Congrats on the system- would love to be involved in a prolonged music and wine session with that. In all fairness, the 300 should sound better than the 260 with the cost increase. At least Spectral is continuing to give you value with your money well spent. As an aside, I just dropped in HD 90 speaker cables for the 770UL 2, and gotta say, you must give MIT their due. A very nice improvement.

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Holy crap coopersark, that is one unbelievable setup!! Congrats on the system- would love to be involved in a prolonged music and wine session with that. In all fairness, the 300 should sound better than the 260 with the cost increase. At least Spectral is continuing to give you value with your money well spent. As an aside, I just dropped in HD 90 speaker cables for the 770UL 2, and gotta say, you must give MIT their due. A very nice improvement.

Scouter --
I am lucky if I get to enjoy this system a couple hours a week. It seems that I am always time constrained. (Fortunately, I have a secondary system consisting of Audio Research/Magnepan/ Shunyata power conditioning/Transparent Opus MM2 cabling in my workshop, so that system actually gets more use from me, as I can listen all day as I work.) Yes, the HD 90's are a big step up from your older 770's. Enjoy them! Concerning the 300 vs the 260, I am sure that equivalent sonic gains to your cable swap will be realized. You won't know what you are missing until you give it an audition in your audio system! Happy Listening!:)
Best regards,
Rob

Last edited:

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Rob, EXCEPTIONAL! Thanks for posting.

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Rob, EXCEPTIONAL! Thanks for posting.
Thanks ACK! Here is an additional photo post. I use two sets of Shunyata Trition/Typhon power conditioners for all of my front end equipment, one pair for analogue components and the other for digital components, with the exception of the CD player, which uses a Shunyata Alpha Digital power cord on its own dedicated line (The SDR4000SL sounds more open without the Shunyata conditioning, but using an Alpha Digital power cord is essential, for me, for ultimate performance.) My dedicated sound room also has it's own electric sub panel and separate earth ground from the rest of my home. Transparent Reference MM power cables run from the panel to my many dedicated lines. The utility's power transformer sits about 30 feet from my electric panel. I have fantastic electricity, which second to the room itself, is a basic essential for accurate and involving sound reproduction. IMG_2298.jpg

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
coopersark,

What is that box between your amps with those big cables coming out of it?

You must be single or have a wonderful understanding partner to allow that gear in your home.

BTW, my utility's sub division power transformer is about 60 feet from my main 200 amp connection. With separate 20 amp lines and Furutech GTX outlets,no PLC or PCs I've tried have made any SQ improvement.

I did have to call the utility to adjust their regulators to keep the line voltage between 118-122 VAC.

coopersark

May 24, 2013
coopersark,

What is that box between your amps with those big cables coming out of it?

You must be single or have a wonderful understanding partner to allow that gear in your home.

The big box is a Shunyata Cyclops and those big cables are 5 gauge Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords.

I am married many years and not only is my wife understanding, she is clever! Some years ago, as an incentive for us to build a new home, she had told me that this was a perfect opportunity for me to have a dedicated listening room built in our new home. She got a new large house out of the deal, and I got a dedicated listening room, which can only be seen when the door to that room is open. (The room is actually a room within a room - double floors, double walls and double ceiling.) I am fortunate that she loves the look of those large Magico loudspeakers in our "sound room". I am very fortunate on many levels, and I greatly appreciate my life and of course, my beautiful loving wife. The sad thing is that she is hearing challenged and cannot enjoy our audio system to the same extent as she would otherwise.

Last edited:

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

I just A/B'ed my incumbent transparent reference cables for the MIT Oracle HD90 and the MIT Oracle v1.3 that I both acquired to be prepared for the Spectral audition. Listprice of the MIT cables is 2-3 times higher, street price is a lot closer. In any event, I though the Transparents are bit more organic and musical, while the MITs appear more dynamic and detailed. If I did not need them for the Spectral showdown, I would probably have kept the Transparents. No desire to tie up $5-6K and keep both sets, so the Transparents are up on audiogon....

coopersark

May 24, 2013
I just A/B'ed my incumbent transparent reference cables for the MIT Oracle HD90 and the MIT Oracle v1.3 that I both acquired to be prepared for the Spectral audition. Listprice of the MIT cables is 2-3 times higher, street price is a lot closer. In any event, I though the Transparents are bit more organic and musical, while the MITs appear more dynamic and detailed. If I did not need them for the Spectral showdown, I would probably have kept the Transparents. No desire to tie up $5-6K and keep both sets, so the Transparents are up on audiogon....

In my secondary audio system (in my workshop - the electronics are about 40 feet away), I use Transparent Opus MMII cabling. I prefer my Transparent OPUS MMII's to the MIT MAXSHD's, but with Spectral, I am captive to having to use the MIT's. The Transparent cables are not only more musical and organic, as you say, but to my ears they are also more accurate. IMG_1506.jpg IMG_0519.jpg

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
In my secondary audio system (in my workshop - the electronics are about 40 feet away), I use Transparent Opus MMII cabling. I prefer my Transparent OPUS MMII's to the MIT MAXSHD's, but with Spectral, I am captive to having to use the MIT's. The Transparent cables are not only more musical and organic, as you say, but to my ears they are also more accurate.

Sounds like between the two systems you own $200K-$300K worth of cables. Whole new meaning of "the cable guy". My Transparent reference cables are sold in a heartbeat on audiogon ofr 50% of MSRP. Having second thoughts now.... May be should have kept them in case the Spectral experiment does not work out..... Too late now.

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Sounds like between the two systems you own $200K-$300K worth of cables. Whole new meaning of "the cable guy". My Transparent reference cables are sold in a heartbeat on audiogon ofr 50% of MSRP. Having second thoughts now.... May be should have kept them in case the Spectral experiment does not work out..... Too late now.
Yeah, I have a lot wrapped up in cables, componentry, software, and my room's construction. Life is too short to settle and if ya' can do it then go for it! As far as the Transparent cables that you sold, they are nothing that rare or uncommon that you will not be able to find again, should you want to buy them back. All it will take is a couple months patience. MIT makes a great cable, it is simply that it is voiced differently, with somewhat different design parameters than the Transparent. Good luck with your experiment!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
In my secondary audio system (in my workshop - the electronics are about 40 feet away), I use Transparent Opus MMII cabling. I prefer my Transparent OPUS MMII's to the MIT MAXSHD's, but with Spectral, I am captive to having to use the MIT's. The Transparent cables are not only more musical and organic, as you say, but to my ears they are also more accurate.

I made this comparison between the Transparent REF XL and the MIT Matrix 90, (speaker cables only). Your description is just what I noticed in my system also, but I would add that the Transparent sounded more tonally balanced while the MIT emphasized the highs and lows at the expense of the midrange. I ended up buying an entire suite of REF XL balanced cables for my system. I have heard MIT cables sound excellent in several all-Spectral systems. It's very system dependent. I also preferred the lowest settings (poles of articulation) on the MIT network boxes as did my dealer.

coopersark

May 24, 2013
I made this comparison between the Transparent REF XL and the MIT Matrix 90, (speaker cables only). Your description is just what I noticed in my system also, but I would add that the Transparent sounded more tonally balanced while the MIT emphasized the highs and lows at the expense of the midrange. I ended up buying an entire suite of REF XL balanced cables for my system. I have heard MIT cables sound excellent in several all-Spectral systems. It's very system dependent. I also preferred the lowest settings (poles of articulation) on the MIT network boxes as did my dealer.
Yes, it is all system and room dependent. With the MIT Oracle MAX SHD's I prefer the speaker cables in the SHD mode and the interconnects between the CD and Preamp and Preamp and Amps at maximum articulation, while my DAC and Tuner are set at neutral.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Yes, it is all system and room dependent. With the MIT Oracle MAX SHD's I prefer the speaker cables in the SHD mode and the interconnects between the CD and Preamp and Preamp and Amps at maximum articulation, while my DAC and Tuner are set at neutral.

Agreed regarding system dependent. Before I bought the MIT MAX SHD, both speaker and ICs, I tried Transparent Opus MMII. Preferred the MIT. I set the speaker interface at SHD but have the ICs set at the mid point. Full disclosure, the Opus I tried wasn't configured for my system.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC

I noticed you are using Shunyata power conditioning in both systems. I have been advised to use MIT power conditioning, not Shunyata. Specifically, I've been told that Shunyata WILL NOT work with Spectral equipment. Obviously, I was misled. Have you compared the MIT to Shunyata power conditioning, and if so, results?
Thanks,
B

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I noticed you are using Shunyata power conditioning in both systems. I have been advised to use MIT power conditioning, not Shunyata. Specifically, I've been told that Shunyata WILL NOT work with Spectral equipment. Obviously, I was misled. Have you compared the MIT to Shunyata power conditioning, and if so, results?
Thanks,
B

Advise of most MIT / spectral pushers/dealers is extremely self serving, sometimes bordering on the absurd.

coopersark

May 24, 2013
Agreed regarding system dependent. Before I bought the MIT MAX SHD, both speaker and ICs, I tried Transparent Opus MMII. Preferred the MIT. I set the speaker interface at SHD but have the ICs set at the mid point. Full disclosure, the Opus I tried wasn't configured for my system.

The beauty of Opus is only realized when it is tuned for the precise output impedance of the feeding component, so not a fair comparison. Don't get me wrong, the MIT cables are great in the context of my Spectral system (Dynamic and a sound stage width and depth that are beyond reproach), it is just that the Transparent is also great in my Audio Research system (Mid range through the highs sounds like the real thing - spooky good!). It is all system dependent! This is part of the reason that when I assembled a secondary system (Audio Research) I wanted it to have a different perspective on the sound than my main system. There is not a single audio system in the world today, nor has there ever been, that can "do it all" with equal adeptness. Every system possesses its strengths and every system possesses its weaknesses. One must pick and balance their individual hierarchy of sonic preferences when assembling an audio system to their own taste priorities.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing