New Media Room

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
I've posted some pictures of my newly completed media room which was part of a house addition. I finally have a purposed room for dedicated stereo listening and weekend movies. We have our original family room back, and the sound from the new media room doesn't intrude on the rest of the house.

My first day of listening in the new media room was last Friday night so I've only had a few days of listening so far. Initially I hear better articulation, more precise instrument positioning and air, more pronounced bass although perhaps it could be slightly better defined.

I'm sure there's going to be some additional acoustic treatments in the future, but the room more than meets my initial expectations.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/album.php?albumid=129

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Congrats! I also used Kinetics in my build, floating walls and ceiling (floor is concrete), with a minisplit unit to isolate the room from the house HVAC (no ducts from media room to the rest of the house).

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Nice project !

Ever thought about adding some diffusors ? In my experience thay are neccessary is such a small room and work much better than any absorber (which do not work in small acoustic spaces, contrary to what some companies selling those want us to believe).

I would add some diffusion in the places of first reflections from the speakers on the side walls and then behind the speakers and behind your listening chair.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I've posted some pictures of my newly completed media room which was part of a house addition. I finally have a purposed room for dedicated stereo listening and weekend movies. We have our original family room back, and the sound from the new media room doesn't intrude on the rest of the house.

My first day of listening in the new media room was last Friday night so I've only had a few days of listening so far. Initially I hear better articulation, more precise instrument positioning and air, more pronounced bass although perhaps it could be slightly better defined.

I'm sure there's going to be some additional acoustic treatments in the future, but the room more than meets my initial expectations.

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/album.php?albumid=129

I have a similar sized room with MCH system and video, and got good results putting in top to bottom diagonal corner traps. You can see them on this picture. You can make them yourself or buy.

http://cgim.audiogon.com/i/vs/s/f/1422488468.jpg

Last edited:

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congrats...a great room is more important than any equipment ....and you have some nice stuff...I bet it sounds great !

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Nice project !

Ever thought about adding some diffusors ? In my experience thay are neccessary is such a small room and work much better than any absorber (which do not work in small acoustic spaces, contrary to what some companies selling those want us to believe).

I would add some diffusion in the places of first reflections from the speakers on the side walls and then behind the speakers and behind your listening chair.

Given that my room makes this one look gargantuan, could you recommend some suitable diffusors, preferably available with ease in Europe? I have quite a bit of absorption from GIK acoustics and while it's turned a horrible room into a listenable one, it's also sucked all the air out of the sound.

LenWhite, your room looks great. Some day, some day...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing