New Magico and JL Audio Subwoofers

jpetek

Feb 12, 2013
The Question is who will need such subwoofers?

I do not think that any owner of a Q7 or maybe Q5 will need a seperate subwoofer.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Ya never know. I can live without subs but honestly, I'd rather not. That coming from somebody that just loves to play the "Are they on or are they off?" game.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Ya never know. I can live without subs but honestly, I'd rather not. That coming from somebody that just loves to play the "Are they on or are they off?" game.

the biggest unintended compliment paid to me and my system was when Alon Wolf and his partner Yaier came to my house to take measurements of my room (this was at a time when the Q5 was soon to be released) and after 15 minutes of listening and taking measurements Alon asked me if my subs were on (which they were :))

Jazzhead

VIP/Donor
Aug 26, 2012
^ Is that a picture of a Magico sub under construction, or another subwoofer using Aurasound drivers? (The pointed conical dustcap is the giveaway.)

+1

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Setting aside the foregone conclusion that audio is a hobby when food and a roof and health are taken care of, I probably could not live without a sub. Listening to hip hop and deep house right now, and even with the sub cut off above 40hz (with 48db slope so steep)...I still feel the difference. And for a bass freak who loves to bring the beat everynow and then...its a big plus.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
Alnico magnet???

Alnico magnet??? Does anyone know of a manufacturer using Alnico magnets in their subwoofer drivers?

zz.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
The new Revel sub is deigned to be time aligned with the main left/right; they are designed for Geddes/Harman setup to get flat bass. If I were spending that kind of dough on a pair of subs, they damn sure aint gonna be sitting right next to my main left/right speakers. What's the point?

This is a Harman product, and Harman bought JBL or however the transaction took place.

JBL has made some GREAT product and some NOT so great products. Hard to tell where this falls, unless there is more information.

zz.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
The new Revel sub is deigned to be time aligned with the main left/right; they are designed for Geddes/Harman setup to get flat bass. If I were spending that kind of dough on a pair of subs, they damn sure aint gonna be sitting right next to my main left/right speakers. What's the point?

Their is no "point?"

I read the information by going to the URL. This appears to be the manufacturer speaking. " unless there is more information." is wanting to hear in the future from actual end users being satisfied with the product.

I apologize if there is confusion from my statement.

zz.

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
There are only 3 reasons to add subs. You can extend dynamic range. You can fill in nonexistent bass and crossover to main left/right where left/right are not full range. You can use multiple subs in different parts of the room to get flatter bass. I would hope the user could achieve all 3 at these prices. Revel designed these subs to do all 3. I am not aware of any other sub that can do all 3 without using a Tact, Deqx etc.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
There are only 3 reasons to add subs. You can extend dynamic range. You can fill in nonexistent bass and crossover to main left/right where left/right are not full range. You can use multiple subs in different parts of the room to get flatter bass. I would hope the user could achieve all 3 at these prices. Revel designed these subs to do all 3. I am not aware of any other sub that can do all 3 without using a Tact, Deqx etc.

There are a many cool things about the new Revel subs:

1) they are the only sub I know of that gives the user ability to delay the main speakers independently of the sub. This is required because sealed box subs generally have a lot of driver EQ to make them flat and this results in higher group delay than the main speakers at the crossover frequency. Simply put sounds take longer to come out of the sub than they do the mains. Time delay is therefore required for proper time alignment even if the subs and mains are placed right next to each other. The phase control that is typically used for integration is not sufficient as likely although the bass will be in phase at the crossover point the sound coming out of the sub will likely be a full cycle late or maybe more.

2) they can EQ the combined response of the sub/mains speakers. Most EQ systems built into subs do not take the contribution of the mains into effect (which is dumb because what you hear is mains + subs - they are playing together across much of the bass even with a crossover)

3) whilst all the processing happens in the digital domain Revel have gone to great care with the A/D and D/A conversion. Indeed the launch date for the subs was pushed back by 6 months whilst they worked to make the DSP as transparent as possible. Certainly the huge benefit from the DSP capability exceeds the SQ reduction from the additional conversions.

It's unlikely there will be many people who are using Revel subs as they are not historically a company known for their subs and Revel is kind of a not so cool brand for audiophiles. However they have worked hard at these new subs and the care and thought gone into the DSP is outstanding.

I am very excited because it means now when I tell someone to get subs to improve their room acoustics through room mode cancellation they do not also now need a DSP/EQ unit to go with it. All the DSP/EQ is built into the subs.

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA
Great post just above Nyal; thx for sharing essential information.

* $36,000 buys you a very nice car.

or around 18 JL E112s subs...

or a new fully acoustically treated dedicated listening room

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

James63

Aug 7, 2013
Well I don't know about Magico's super sub but I ordered two JL E112s today. I plan to integrate them into a two channel system using the built in high pass crossover.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
or around 18 JL E112s subs...

or a new fully acoustically treated dedicated listening room

I am astonished no one has computed the number of tickets to great performances you can buy with the cost of the Magico sub - it is an usual cliche in these type of threads. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing