New generaton of buyers ....nothing but the price

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
I find it really interesting that so many buyers today are so price oriented that they dont really seem to care what the products sound like. I always wanted to purchase the item/items that produced magic rather than WOW i bought it used for 30 cents on the dollar.
This is a real phenomenon and I see and hear it all the time. I dont want product X because I have to buy it retail but I cant get something "similar" used on Audiogon or Ebay.
Its all good enough and the fact that everything gets a great review ( a whole other subject since there seems to be as many reviewers as products these day) has made Audio just a commodity!!!!!
SAD SAD SAD but true.
Most of the major brands of the past are mostly irrelevant or gone and the process of Audio companies combining is in full swing. The future seems to be a bunch of traveling shows, like the arts and crafts things we have here in Florida, and websites where the opinions flow like beer in the bleachers on a Saturday afternoon in July. All the readers making comments on what they have not heard or heard through a audio drive buy.
I see so many Audiophiles have these combination style systems that should be called " I got a deal Systems"
One from here , one from there, but I got a great deal.
I guess the fast food Audio generation has finally taken control.
Beats and Bose has won due to the lack of the Audio Industry not having the balls to tell the truth, to inform and educate the consumers and specifiers.
The golden era of quality audio may be wasted on the old and I fear the young will look at music in the future as little more than what they get from the local drive in window.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have a sneaking suspicion that it might be even more expensive for some in the long run. Well, it is what it is. You can only do your best in the arena you are present in.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I have to consider price out of necessity, but don't confuse that with not caring about what I buy.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I'm not a new generation and I am 52. I want the best and at the best price. I have little interest in paying msrp for anything new and I haven't. I bought my Wilson X-2.2's used and factory re-certified with full warranty for $100k off msrp. I really don't think the OP should generalize. I demand a minimum of 20% off new componentry and at least 30% of cabling, otherwise I don't buy. I have had great success with this buying strategy and saved a lot of $$$.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I find it really interesting that so many buyers today are so price oriented that they dont really seem to care what the products sound like. I always wanted to purchase the item/items that produced magic rather than WOW i bought it used for 30 cents on the dollar.
This is a real phenomenon and I see and hear it all the time. I dont want product X because I have to buy it retail but I cant get something "similar" used on Audiogon or Ebay.
Its all good enough and the fact that everything gets a great review ( a whole other subject since there seems to be as many reviewers as products these day) has made Audio just a commodity!!!!!
SAD SAD SAD but true.
Most of the major brands of the past are mostly irrelevant or gone and the process of Audio companies combining is in full swing. The future seems to be a bunch of traveling shows, like the arts and crafts things we have here in Florida, and websites where the opinions flow like beer in the bleachers on a Saturday afternoon in July. All the readers making comments on what they have not heard or heard through a audio drive buy.
I see so many Audiophiles have these combination style systems that should be called " I got a deal Systems"
Beats and Bose has won due to the lack of the Audio Industry not having the balls to tell the truth, to inform and educate the consumers and specifiers.
The golden era of quality audio may be wasted on the old and I fear the young will look at music in the future as little more than what they get from the local drive in window.

Elliot, buying on price and the pursuit of great sound are not necessarily conflicting. If we accept that truth and preference in audio are very subjective and can only be established based on personal audition, there are a few ways to try to get the best sound in your room within budgetary constraints.

One is to listen at dealer (or show) buy stuff you like under dealer / show conditions and hope and pray it sounds good in your own system (worse strategy IMO). Other is to audition new stuff at home and buy if you like it and return if you don't (workable, but you are now on the hook for big depreciation hit, if you ever decide to sell the gear because you find something that sounds better). The third option is to buy stuff cheap used try at home and resell if you don't like it. Keep it if you like it and every now and then when a great deal on a piece you are intrigued by shows up buy it and try it. Keep it if it beats the incumbent, sell if it does not.

So for example, I bought a demo Arc Ref 5se from you and just tried it to see if it beat DAC direct signal path. It actually did, so I keep it and now I have better sound (prior to the ARC, I had tried a Pass Lab preamp, which I did not like and immediately resold at no loss). Having always been intrigued by Spectral, I stayed on the lookout for a deal on Spectral amps to show up so I can try it at home, and after six months it did. So now I compare the spectral to the Arc Ref 5se + class A mono's and prefer the Spectral. I sold the Arc Ref 5se for what I paid for it, and can do the same with the spectral gear two years out. So for me "bargain hunting" and pursuit of best sounds are entirely aligned objectives - allowing me to try stuff at home at limited or no financial risk. My approach may not be representative of your typical audio bargain hunter, but it has worked very well for me.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Elliot, buying on price and the pursuit of great sound are not necessarily conflicting. If we accept that truth and preference in audio are very subjective and can only be established based on personal audition, there are a few ways to try to get the best sound in your room within budgetary constraints.

One is to listen at dealer (or show) buy stuff you like under dealer / show conditions and hope and pray it sounds good in your own system (worse strategy IMO). Other is to audition new stuff at home and buy if you like it and return if you don't (workable, but you are now on the hook for big depreciation hit, if you ever decide to sell the gear because you find something that sounds better). The third option is to buy stuff cheap used try at home and resell if you don't like it. Keep it if you like it and every now and then when a great deal on a piece you are intrigued by shows up buy it and try it. Keep it if it beats the incumbent, sell if it does not.

So for example, I bought a demo Arc Ref 5se from you and just tried it to see if it beat DAC direct signal path. It actually did, so I keep it and now I have better sound (prior to the ARC, I had tried a Pass Lab preamp, which I did not like and immediately resold at no loss). Having always been intrigued by Spectral, I stayed on the lookout for a deal on Spectral amps to show up so I can try it at home, and after six months it did. So now I compare the spectral to the Arc Ref 5se + class A mono's and prefer the Spectral. I sold the Arc Ref 5se for what I paid for it, and can do the same with the spectral gear two years out. So for me "bargain hunting" and pursuit of best sounds are entirely aligned objectives - allowing me to try stuff at home at limited or no financial risk. My approach may not be representative of your typical audio bargain hunter, but it has worked very well for me.
this has become the norm and I am not saying that it cant work for some however many are just buying the deal and really dont know what they are really buying. The Industry has not figured out how to deal with the internet and is still trying to work on a business model out of the 1950's. This was a few products with limited distribution and a strong dealer network. Today there are hundreds of options and the financial climate and the overall dollar outlay doesn't really allow for this. The Industry is unable and or unwilling in some regards to adapt.
I am not saying that any option is bad I am saying however that very few are really able to make an educated decision based on audio drive buys and reviews.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
this has become the norm and I am not saying that it cant work for some however many are just buying the deal and really dont know what they are really buying. The Industry has not figured out how to deal with the internet and is still trying to work on a business model out of the 1950's. This was a few products with limited distribution and a strong dealer network. Today there are hundreds of options and the financial climate and the overall dollar outlay doesn't really allow for this. The Industry is unable and or unwilling in some regards to adapt.
I am not saying that any option is bad I am saying however that very few are really able to make an educated decision based on audio drive buys and reviews.

ANY source of information about audio (reviews, forums, audio buddies) are biased, and there is no consensus about anything. Of course all sources can point you in the right direction (which for me consists of shortlisting stuff). The only educated decision to me is the decision based on in home audition.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I bought the deal back in the 1970's,80's,90' & 2000's and they are still deals because if I thought they produced music back then,they should sound like music now. Back in those years it was value because top of the line stuff from dealers didn't cost a arm and a leg. I hardly ever sell anything and actually have equipment in my system from 1953.....go figure.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
this has become the norm and I am not saying that it cant work for some however many are just buying the deal and really don't know what they are really buying.

Hello Elliot

You mean for a first time buyer?? Dealers used to put up starter systems at different price levels. You really didn't know what you were getting there either just depending on the dealer to put a nice package for the money. Obviously you could have a listen but until you got it home and set-up you didn't know what the potential for the system was. Is it really that different??

Rob:)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The original post could be argued another way - anyone who did not buy a deal and bought what he then thought was the best purchase, is now sticking to it just to avoid making a loss inspite of knowing there are better things in the market.

In the world of hifi, it is impossible in your early purchases to know what is the exact type of sound you want, and what is the ideal component to help you achieve that sound. Not to mention that in some areas like computer audio there are constant advances happening.

I actually consider people who do a deal pretty smart - not only do they realize this, they realize there is not always only one right purchase - I could use a variety of cables to run my system, and as long as I keep the wrong cable out, I might as well buy the best deal. More importantly, these people realize that no matter what your income, there are better places to invest and spend money than hifi, and hifi is just - a hobby, so might as well buy the best deals which will get you 90% there based on the limited knowledge of the market one has at that time anyway

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The original post could be argued another way - anyone who did not buy a deal and bought what he then thought was the best purchase, is now sticking to it just to avoid making a loss inspite of knowing there are better things in the market.

In the world of hifi, it is impossible in your early purchases to know what is the exact type of sound you want, and what is the ideal component to help you achieve that sound. Not to mention that in some areas like computer audio there are constant advances happening.

I actually consider people who do a deal pretty smart - not only do they realize this, they realize there is not always only one right purchase - I could use a variety of cables to run my system, and as long as I keep the wrong cable out, I might as well buy the best deal. More importantly, these people realize that no matter what your income, there are better places to invest and spend money than hifi, and hifi is just - a hobby, so might as well buy the best deals which will get you 90% there based on the limited knowledge of the market one has at that time anyway

Exactly. Let's say you have $10K to spend on an amp, and there are a handful of contenders. I'll rotate some some highly regarded 20K amps that I buy for 10K used and keep the one I like best any day of the week, before I "work with my dealer" and lock myself into a $10K MSRP amp, worth $5K when I try to resell it. IMO this gearswapping approach will always get you the better sound.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Exactly. Let's say you have $10K to spend on an amp, and there are a handful of contenders. I'll rotate some some highly regarded 20K amps that I buy for 10K used and keep the one I like best any day of the week, before I "work with my dealer" and lock myself into a $10K MSRP amp, worth $5K when I try to resell it. IMO this gearswapping approach will always get you the better sound.

I am a big believer in the law of unintended consequences and whatever works for you is great however what I see missing from this as well as so many other threads is "the music" which is what this is all about. When churning and looking for THE BEST one spends most of the time "gearswapping". I rather enjoy the music. But hey to each his own and whatever makes you happy is all that counts and needs no validation.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA

What is meant by "the industry"? Manufacturers, the dealers, magazines or all of them? I think the consumer is figuring it out and many seem quite happy with their systems. Some very main stream companies also seem to have figured it out. Pass Labs has adapted to the net and changed their selling model in the US. They are thriving. Wilson and Magico also seem to have figured something out as they too seem to be doing very well. SME rarely advertises, doesn't change their models very often, and they also seem to have figured something out because there is quite a backlog of orders and their production capacity is substantial. All are relatively large and established businesses. Spectral is smaller, but very well established and they too have quite a waiting list and demand for their products. Owners of these brands tend to listen before they buy.

My local audio buddies are not making decisions from "audio drive buys and review". They are buying new, used, demo, some from dealers, some from audiogon. They audition in their homes and end up buying what they like. There is also a growing internet sale, 30 day home trial period, model which also seems to work for some companies and buyers.

A few audiophiles do a lot of turnover, but "audio drive buys and reviews" don't seem to be the only way people do their research. Many of my friends audition components in their friends' systems and at the local dealership. And then there are these chat boards, some of which have some great information from owners and designers alike. I think instead of getting one's information from one local expert, people are getting lots of different advice from many lesser experts, but I think they are still making fairly informed decisions.

I agree that the hobby is changing, and that buyers are concerned about price. However, I also think they care about the sound. At least my audio buddies do.

TheMadMilkman

Sep 7, 2010
This ended up being a long post, and I probably ramble a bit.

This is hardly a new phenomenon. "I can get something better for cheaper" has been uttered since the day currency was invented.

SAD SAD SAD but true.

I'd venture that the same people saying "I can get something better for less" generally don't pay the audiophile press much attention. I do agree that there are too many bloggers/reviewers, but that's the reality of the internet, and has had effects on every industry, not just audio.

Most of the major brands of the past are mostly irrelevant or gone and the process of Audio companies combining is in full swing.

Boutique brands (and audiophile brands are almost be definition boutique) rarely survive in their original state after the original founder retires/dies/gets bored and sells. There are always new startups to replace them.

The future seems to be a bunch of traveling shows, like the arts and crafts things we have here in Florida,

Is this a bad thing? I love attending RMAF, seeing a vast amount of gear, and picking and choosing which items I want to know more about. For anyone living outside of NY, LA, SF, and a few other very large cities, it's the only way to be exposed to a large amount of gear. And, given the short time between exposure to different systems that are all in identical rooms, I find the shows to be very useful.

and websites where the opinions flow like beer in the bleachers on a Saturday afternoon in July. All the readers making comments on what they have not heard or heard through a audio drive buy.

As opposed to commissioned salepeople who bad mouth gear they've never heard because they don't carry it? Opinions are like holes, and the internet generation has been raised to be cynical about unsolicited opinions online.

These people have existed since forever, and are certainly not limited to audio. They also buy mismatched furniture, poor-quality knifes and cookware, and any other item that other people might be passionate about.

This is a needlessly inflammatory condemnation of my generation.

Beats and Bose won by having superior funding and marketing. But you contradict yourself, because the same people who say "I could get better for less" would actually be correct in this case, and would likely buy superior products for less money.

For $10 a month, you can have access to the full spotify library of over 12 million songs. If that's what getting music from the local drive in window looks like, you can count me in.

Now, I'm a part of the small portion of the population that cares about sound quality, so I'll end up buying that music in a lossless format (redbook for me).

A number of older audiophiles, both here and on every other internet forum, will bemoan the supposedly shrinking number of audiophiles. I don't buy it. I think that, as a percentage of the population as a whole, the number that are actually concerned about quality hasn't changed. Now, the societal pressure to have a stereo in the home has dwindled considerably, but the people who bought consoles in the '50s and '60s because that was what you did were not audiophiles then [in the sense that this forum uses the term audiophile], and they aren't now. Yes, flat screens and smart phones have replaced consoles and floor-standing speakers as conspicuous consumption, but again, these weren't people who were chasing high-end sound. These were people who wanted to show off when the neighbors came over for dinner.

"Kids" these days are buying high-quality audio, but they're not buying component systems. They're building computer-based systems using DACs and headphones, because it fits their needs and lifestyles, and because it fits their budgets. Head-fi shows that they have almost 350,000 registered members, which I believe makes it the largest audio-related forum (I could be wrong on this). This is not a small market. Judging by the number of new headphones being released by the established brands, they clearly recognize this.

And if you haven't noticed, from an economic perspective it is a terrible time to be young. Wages are stagnant, unemployment for new graduates is extremely high, and those lucky enough to find work are constantly reminded how close they are to being on the street. At the same time, the price of the "audiophile" brands continue to skyrocket. It's no wonder that young audiophiles don't consider buying these brands.

So what does get considered? Brands that are easily available online, with good return policies (think Schiit). Lots of used equipment. Portable equipment, since having space for a full system is becoming more rare.

Now, there are some things that the younger generation doesn't get right. Generally, they've moved way too far into the objective camp. As an example, when I initially set up my current computer-based system, my audio had to be routed via HDMI through my TV and then from the TV's analog out to my amp. For reasons that would be obvious to anyone here, it sounded terrible. But when I asked for suggestions for an inexpensive DAC on another forum (not audio-specific), I got pushback over the idea that using an external DAC would sound any different, because "the digital to analog conversion has basically been perfected and they all use the same chips anyway." I've also been told that preamplifiers can make no difference in sound quality because their S/N ratios are all beyond the limits of human hearing. Let's not even bother talking about amps or cabling.

The supremely objective "measurements only" voices tend to be very loud. I would venture that they get listened to more than they should because money is so tight for the younger generation as a whole, and because the younger generation wants to believe that they base their decisions on science, rather than emotion.

So, you have a cash-strapped individual who wants good sound, and buys in to what he reads because it means he can save money. He buys a hodgepodge system of potentially-clashing components. Maybe he gets lucky and there's good synergy, so he stops. Maybe he's unlucky and there isn't. If he can't hear it or doesn't care, then I'm not concerned. If he can hear it and does care, he'll most likely move on towards being more of what you would think of as a "traditional" audiophile. But posts like this do nothing to welcome him in, and do a lot more to drive him away.

If you do want to see more young "traditional" audiophiles, stop badmouthing the way they do things. I fully committed to audiophilia when I was 23 (first real stereo). Over the last 11 years I've gotten really tired of listening to people talk down at my generation simply because we do things differently.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am a big believer in the law of unintended consequences and whatever works for you is great however what I see missing from this as well as so many other threads is "the music" which is what this is all about. When churning and looking for THE BEST one spends most of the time "gearswapping". I rather enjoy the music. But hey to each his own and whatever makes you happy is all that counts and needs no validation.

It is certainly about the music in the end, but in this thread, the OP is a dealer and his post is about price shopping, gear swapping and the old dealer/manufacturer selling/distribution model. It is not about listening to and appreciating the beauty and emotion of music.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

Of course it is all about the music, but let's not kid ourselves; all the time we spend hanging around this forum detracts from time spend listening to music. Yet here we are, discussing gear (instead of listening to music). While it all starts and ends with the music, I make no apologies for the fact the quest to find better gear is part of the fun of this hobby. People that are strictly in it for the music don't spend a minute of their life on WBF.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

If you are looking for music it makes no sense to buy new, better to buy something good used and settle with it.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Of course it is all about the music, but let's not kid ourselves; all the time we spend hanging around this forum detracts from time spend listening to music. Yet here we are, discussing hear (instead of listening to music). While it all starts and ends with the music, I make no apologies for the fact the quest to find better gear is part of the fun of this hobby. People that are strictly in it for the music don't spend a minute of their life on WBF.

No one is in it strictly for the music or for the gear. The balance between the two varies from person to person. Additionally, we all have other interests.....like football right now! ;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
No one is in it strictly for the music or for the gear. The balance between the two varies from person to person.

That is the entire key...how far will you go in order to maximize the listening experience of the music you love ? I have gone pretty far and the end of the equipment change journey is in sight. The only thing left to do after that is to listen to the music and smell the roses.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
This ended up being a long post, and I probably ramble a bit.

This is hardly a new phenomenon. "I can get something better for cheaper" has been uttered since the day currency was invented.

I'd venture that the same people saying "I can get something better for less" generally don't pay the audiophile press much attention. I do agree that there are too many bloggers/reviewers, but that's the reality of the internet, and has had effects on every industry, not just audio.

Boutique brands (and audiophile brands are almost be definition boutique) rarely survive in their original state after the original founder retires/dies/gets bored and sells. There are always new startups to replace them.

Is this a bad thing? I love attending RMAF, seeing a vast amount of gear, and picking and choosing which items I want to know more about. For anyone living outside of NY, LA, SF, and a few other very large cities, it's the only way to be exposed to a large amount of gear. And, given the short time between exposure to different systems that are all in identical rooms, I find the shows to be very useful.

As opposed to commissioned salepeople who bad mouth gear they've never heard because they don't carry it? Opinions are like holes, and the internet generation has been raised to be cynical about unsolicited opinions online.

These people have existed since forever, and are certainly not limited to audio. They also buy mismatched furniture, poor-quality knifes and cookware, and any other item that other people might be passionate about.

This is a needlessly inflammatory condemnation of my generation.

Beats and Bose won by having superior funding and marketing. But you contradict yourself, because the same people who say "I could get better for less" would actually be correct in this case, and would likely buy superior products for less money.

For $10 a month, you can have access to the full spotify library of over 12 million songs. If that's what getting music from the local drive in window looks like, you can count me in.

Now, I'm a part of the small portion of the population that cares about sound quality, so I'll end up buying that music in a lossless format (redbook for me).

A number of older audiophiles, both here and on every other internet forum, will bemoan the supposedly shrinking number of audiophiles. I don't buy it. I think that, as a percentage of the population as a whole, the number that are actually concerned about quality hasn't changed. Now, the societal pressure to have a stereo in the home has dwindled considerably, but the people who bought consoles in the '50s and '60s because that was what you did were not audiophiles then [in the sense that this forum uses the term audiophile], and they aren't now. Yes, flat screens and smart phones have replaced consoles and floor-standing speakers as conspicuous consumption, but again, these weren't people who were chasing high-end sound. These were people who wanted to show off when the neighbors came over for dinner.

"Kids" these days are buying high-quality audio, but they're not buying component systems. They're building computer-based systems using DACs and headphones, because it fits their needs and lifestyles, and because it fits their budgets. Head-fi shows that they have almost 350,000 registered members, which I believe makes it the largest audio-related forum (I could be wrong on this). This is not a small market. Judging by the number of new headphones being released by the established brands, they clearly recognize this.

And if you haven't noticed, from an economic perspective it is a terrible time to be young. Wages are stagnant, unemployment for new graduates is extremely high, and those lucky enough to find work are constantly reminded how close they are to being on the street. At the same time, the price of the "audiophile" brands continue to skyrocket. It's no wonder that young audiophiles don't consider buying these brands.

So what does get considered? Brands that are easily available online, with good return policies (think Schiit). Lots of used equipment. Portable equipment, since having space for a full system is becoming more rare.

Now, there are some things that the younger generation doesn't get right. Generally, they've moved way too far into the objective camp. As an example, when I initially set up my current computer-based system, my audio had to be routed via HDMI through my TV and then from the TV's analog out to my amp. For reasons that would be obvious to anyone here, it sounded terrible. But when I asked for suggestions for an inexpensive DAC on another forum (not audio-specific), I got pushback over the idea that using an external DAC would sound any different, because "the digital to analog conversion has basically been perfected and they all use the same chips anyway." I've also been told that preamplifiers can make no difference in sound quality because their S/N ratios are all beyond the limits of human hearing. Let's not even bother talking about amps or cabling.

The supremely objective "measurements only" voices tend to be very loud. I would venture that they get listened to more than they should because money is so tight for the younger generation as a whole, and because the younger generation wants to believe that they base their decisions on science, rather than emotion.

So, you have a cash-strapped individual who wants good sound, and buys in to what he reads because it means he can save money. He buys a hodgepodge system of potentially-clashing components. Maybe he gets lucky and there's good synergy, so he stops. Maybe he's unlucky and there isn't. If he can't hear it or doesn't care, then I'm not concerned. If he can hear it and does care, he'll most likely move on towards being more of what you would think of as a "traditional" audiophile. But posts like this do nothing to welcome him in, and do a lot more to drive him away.

If you do want to see more young "traditional" audiophiles, stop badmouthing the way they do things. I fully committed to audiophilia when I was 23 (first real stereo). Over the last 11 years I've gotten really tired of listening to people talk down at my generation simply because we do things differently.

Greatpost!!

I agree with the Kid... mostly.Small disagreement:

The supremely objective "measurements" is no louder than their subjectivists "trust your ears" camp. Both make a lot of noise.

I would also add that given the skyrocketing price of High End Audio , the smart audiophile should buy used or at the very least bargain to death. I, for one, am entirely committed to buy used everything. these days that include buying used music/CDs on Amazon and much rarely on eBay. I would say this year my $300~500/month music addiction that used to net me 20 to 25 CD has dwindled to $150 sometimes netting me 30 or more CDs , I still buy some new sCDs but the bulk (90%) is used.. Sometimes for really new music I spring but sometimes I just explore and/or enjoy on as you say from Windows through the (often) decently sounding but not perfect Spotify. I find that to be a win for my music listening it has gotten much more richer.

and edorr, posting here is another enjoyment .. music is but one of the many hobbies most people on this board seem to have... Like ... discussing :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing