YES

three months after ordering it has finally arrived last night

had to remove everything to make room for it

burning in over 24 hours now

first listen tonight........stay tuned.....pics to follow

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Meitner says to leave it on about a day. They felt you didn't even have to play anything through it! I didn't think my DA2 was optimized until about 5 days, although benefits were clearly heard earlier. Enjoy. Would love to learn what you think of the sonics. Also, please see these relevant posts:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20033-The-Meitner-DA2-and-TX2&highlight=Meitner

See post #78
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?20196-DCS-Or-LAMPIZATOR-YOUR-CONSIDERATIONS/page8

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks Marty

Thats exactly what I have done plugged in and not playing

I am glad I did that as were a few big glitches on digital after i replugged everything in

First a doggy IEC end, then a different USB cable shooting 5V spikes

Some very nasty blasts going "digital white" at full volume

Have isolated and removed culprits

Cannot wait till tonight

Love the Meitner sound, I have three MeitnerADCs and the DAC8( once owned by Sony Europe !!!), so the DA2 I am hoping for a lot :)

Last edited:

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia

From Bonzo75...thread posted above...
Also the statements seem incorrect out of context. Regarding Vivaldi and Oppo, I replaced Vivaldi with an oppo and heard a difference, more quietness and detail, all hifi stuff, but couldn't be bothered. In the broader context, it was that I will get massive upgrade if I replace Oppo with a basic well set up turntable instead. I can't be bothered with expensive digital as it makes ZERO significant difference to me compared to vinyl, and Lampi is the only digital I like. To me, the Oppo, vivaldi, trinity, AR Dac 8, a sony SACD player, relative to vinyl all sound the same. I will stay with Lampi as it sounds better than digital (not as good as vinyl) and is less expensive and more convenient than vinyl. Eventually I expect to be pulled into buy vinyl. Sorry to be OT but thought I would clarify the context

I have got a new Oppo 103 and put the oppo board from Playback designs, this outputs DSD over ST cable

I will be trying this as an input to the DA2, Although I have a server loaded with DSF, I have legacy SACDs, and thought this a cheap alternative( 700AUS versus 25000AUS) to the TX2

Then a head to head with my Accuphase 900/901

Will keep you posted....could Bonzo75 be right about the Oppo?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

From Bonzo75...thread posted above...
Also the statements seem incorrect out of context. Regarding Vivaldi and Oppo, I replaced Vivaldi with an oppo and heard a difference, more quietness and detail, all hifi stuff, but couldn't be bothered. In the broader context, it was that I will get massive upgrade if I replace Oppo with a basic well set up turntable instead. I can't be bothered with expensive digital as it makes ZERO significant difference to me compared to vinyl, and Lampi is the only digital I like. To me, the Oppo, vivaldi, trinity, AR Dac 8, a sony SACD player, relative to vinyl all sound the same. I will stay with Lampi as it sounds better than digital (not as good as vinyl) and is less expensive and more convenient than vinyl. Eventually I expect to be pulled into buy vinyl. Sorry to be OT but thought I would clarify the context

I have got a new Oppo 103 and put the oppo board from Playback designs, this outputs DSD over ST cable

I will be trying this as an input to the DA2, Although I have a server loaded with DSF, I have legacy SACDs, and thought this a cheap alternative( 700AUS versus 25000AUS) to the TX2

Then a head to head with my Accuphase 900/901

Will keep you posted....could Bonzo75 be right about the Oppo?

Hi my point was that difference in digital is small as compared to vinyl. You will also get a bump from DSD. Btw, I don't think Oppo is a good transport for a dac as compared to say, Esoteric. I compared a normal mac air using HQP to an oppo into the Lampi and the output was better with the mac. The Esoteric K01 into the Lampi was much better.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Thanks Bonzo

but no one so far reported on oppo via dsd direct :)

And its only a legacy thing

Will report back

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Its 24 hours now

first impressions... impulse response much improved :)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Second impression

system been on four hours

the speed and agility seem to give it a naturalness

this is associated with timbres without bloat especially on bass and mid bass

instrument separateness is enhanced with greater apparent depth perception with no etch

high frequencies always a strong suit of emm labs are now complimented by midrange and bass that are more of the same kin

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well done. I see you also use copper tape around the power plugs - great! But I see two of them are not routed to ground, while another one is... and they all need to be.

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Well done. I see you also use copper tape around the power plugs - great! But I see two of them are not routed to ground, while another one is... and they all need to be.

thx mate well spotted

i was so keen when i moved everything around to play ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi how does the copper tape around plugs, and routing them to the ground help?

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I was curious about that myself

Also is the DAC2 an R2R

The DA2 is EMM Labs next generation flagship DAC. Re-designed from the ground up, Ed Meitner has once again created a DAC that significantly moves the bar in terms of transparency, accuracy and overall sound quality.

New in the DA2:

• Ed’s improved analog stages are now at a whole different level of transparency and performance

• MDAC™ is now the world’s first true fully discrete 16xDSD/DSD1024 D/A converter. Completely built in-house at our manufacturing facility in Canada

• Our multi-award winning MDAT2™ DSP has also been refined and updated to synergistically work with the new 16xDSD MDAC™. The new MDAT2™ DSP does real-time transient detection, processing and up-conversion of all incoming audio, PCM and DSD, before sending it to the new 16xDSD MDAC™

• Proprietary hardware galvanic isolation for the USB Audio interface

Every other system from its proprietary jitter removal MFAST™ to its super accurate clock, MCLK™ has been carefully revised for better sound.

Inputs -> 1xAES, 1xUSB Audio, 2xSPDIF, 2xTOSLINK

Outputs -> Balanced and un-balanced analog outputs (both can be used at the same time)

With our MDAT™ DSP engine and MDAC™ already running at 16xDSD (DSD1024, 45Mhz/49Mhz) this unit is basically future proof and now performs at a whole different level/generation of performance than the DAC2X.

What ever all that means

transients are impressive but naturally so is how i would describe it, such as all micro variations occur quicker not just major transients, noticeable on string instruments

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Day 4

it has been a few days...

for those of you used to break 'ins' one day you sense glimmers of hope the next only to think your deluded and you have blown your dough

i have been pumping 'you tube' classical videos through it the last 48 hours

this morning i thought....hmmm modest improvement:- but only if i am feeling optimistic, a pessimist would be asking what i paid for this 'modest' improvement!

Tonight: its been a long tough day at work let me tell you

i walked down to the 'man cave' with little hope of further signs of making up ground in the cost to benefit ratios.....

OK so 96 hours of being on, 48hours of continuous play

improvements are substantial yet subtle

detail has further improved top to bottom

top end more open and natural mid bass more sharply clarified, bass deeper and clearer

big gains are in

1. timbral instrument accuracy

2. sounstage depth and inter instrument clarity/space

3. musical "rightness" it just sound more natural sounding...like being at an actual concert of an orchestra

4. musical ease ... hard to describe ...if i can put as a conversation..."yes i know exactly how this goes...it goes like this...trust me ...relax ...you won't be disappointed"

journey continues;)

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing