DCS Or LAMPIZATOR- YOUR CONSIDERATIONS.

I was having a special trannie installed in my GG as my voltage is very high in my house - 252volts most of the day. So - when in the workshop...

I have new PCM and DSD engines in it. I have spent most of the time listening to PCM so far - it is incredible. It has quieter noise floor, more resolution, faster and just more vivid. I have only listened to dsd engine a little thus far so am not yet able to competently describe the benefits but I would say more resolution but more real / organic sounding.

Have you been able to compare these new engines in the GG with other dacs? Like dCS or maybe the Trinity?

Have you been able to compare these new engines in the GG with other dacs? Like dCS or maybe the Trinity?

I compared the old engines and they were way superior

I compared the old engines and they were way superior

Thanks for your input, could you perhaps specify which models you compared? I read in the the GG thread that some still choose the Trinity PCM over the GG (but this was with the old engine). Another member bought the GG for DSD, while owning a Trinity for PCM. While another member (who also ownes a GG) had a dCS stack for sale. I love to hear these opinions as well.

Hi Ruben,

I am not a DCS fan tbh - I have heard all their current range many times in lots of systems so aware of the sound. DCS has always sounded super clean, clear, fast, and detailed to me. What DCS does not have is harmonic colour, liquidity, body, tone and musicality. Just IMHO and I know others will disagree. I am an analog man at heart mainly because the timbre, spaciousness and sheer enjoyment is conveyed so well - this is what is important to me. The 2 dacs are chalk and cheese. I don't know Trinity so can't comment although I know Mike sold his because he was happy with his GG. The PCM in the GG latest iteration is honestly stupendous - I can't think of any dac I would want to change for.

Thanks for your input, could you perhaps specify which models you compared? I read in the the GG thread that some still choose the Trinity PCM over the GG (but this was with the old engine). Another member bought the GG for DSD, while owning a Trinity for PCM. While another member (who also ownes a GG) had a dCS stack for sale. I love to hear these opinions as well.

Mike Lavigne owned both Trinity and Lampi DSD, and now owns Lampi DSD, sold off the Trinity, though he still likes it. That is the older model with jriver upsampling which is the least good of all upsamplers
Elberoth owns both, and has been owning both. I heard both at his
Audiocrack owns both, though in different systems
Sujay reported that a dealer in Singapore (whom I had the pleasure of meeting at Munich) had a client turn in his vivaldi stack for the Lampi.
AlRainbow owns the B7 and the 35k MSB stack and prefers the B7
I have counted 4 shifts from BADA reference to Lampi, none the other way
I have heard offline of one owner sell of his Total dac 12 for the GG.

I would suggest, depending on where you are located, fly over and listen. I mainly listen to classical (orchestra, baroque, opera). Most comparisons above were done on cheap chinese 101d replicas (which are quite good, but nothing like the potential you can reach with better valves and the new R2R engine).

I have to confess that I asked Lukasz to install the new Amanero board with more precise clocks 3 month ago ( there are two of them, one for DSD and one for PCM ) having already R2R pcm engine.
I tried to accomodate to the new sound during 2 weeks or so and then sended back my Big 7 SE with Duelund caps back to Luaksz asking him to reinstall the old Amanero and the old less precise clocks.
For me all the magic of B7 described so well by Audiophille Bill above " harmonic colour, liquidity, body, tone and musicality" vanished with the new elements making from Lampi another precise and transparent dac but with much less palpability and timbre.

Because of my new speakers ( Duo Mezzo XD ) I asked Lukasz to reduce output voltage of both - DSD and PCM engine to around 2 V because with new speakers the sound was too harsh and fatiguing, at least for my ears and taste.

Now when my Mezzo XD seem to stabilize they sound less agressive and I am thinking to restore the voltage to the default level which is approx 3,5 V for DSD and 5V for R2R PCM.
One more thing - with my Duelund caps I prefer much more 101 D WE replicas than EML 45 mesh Anniv , it is probably very depending on specific setup and taste.

I have to confess that I asked Lukasz to install the new Amanero board with more precise clocks 3 month ago ( there are two of them, one for DSD and one for PCM ) having already R2R pcm engine.
I tried to accomodate to the new sound during 2 weeks or so and then sended back my Big 7 SE with Duelund caps back to Luaksz asking him to reinstall the old Amanero and the old less precise clocks.
For me all the magic of B7 described so well by Audiophille Bill above " harmonic colour, liquidity, body, tone and musicality" vanished with the new elements making from Lampi another precise and transparent dac but with much less palpability and timbre.

Because of my new speakers ( Duo Mezzo XD ) I asked Lukasz to reduce output voltage of both - DSD and PCM engine to around 2 V because with new speakers the sound was too harsh and fatiguing, at least for my ears and taste.

Now when my Mezzo XD seem to stabilize they sound less agressive and I am thinking to restore the voltage to the default level which is approx 3,5 V for DSD and 5V for R2R PCM.
One more thing - with my Duelund caps I prefer much more 101 D WE replicas than EML 45 mesh Anniv , it is probably very depending on specific setup and taste.

Hi Marslo,

You might also consider asking Lukasz to fit you his new big copper caps (I have not got them myself) or the Jupiter or Audyn copper ones bypassed with silver Duelands. What output caps do you have?

Hi Marslo,

You might also consider asking Lukasz to fit you his new big copper caps (I have not got them myself) or the Jupiter or Audyn copper ones bypassed with silver Duelands. What output caps do you have?

Hi Bill,

As mentioned in my post - Duelund caps, but I do not know the specific model - probably cast Pio cu( copper) , it was the option proposed by Lukasz when I purchased my first dsd only lampi dac and then reinstalled in my Big 7.

I have older r2r engine, jupiter caps and stock Amanero. With this setup and new unbroken eml mesh 45 globes...it is da BOMB.

Bill says his r2r with updated firmware is even better. Hard to believe...but Bill has total credibility with me....so...i guess I know what the future holds. Lol

Btw..given that der Siebner is a more clinical sound by default...do you all agree with me that NU 45s, 6A3s and Psvane UK design 300bs could be good match for a more liquid midrange and more emotional connection?

Marslo, did you try KR242 with your B7?
That combo was dynamite.

Mike L is selling his as he cannot use them on GG.

Marslo, did you try KR242 with your B7?
That combo was dynamite.
Not yet, but I keep in mind your recommendation.

I have older r2r engine, jupiter caps and stock Amanero. With this setup and new unbroken eml mesh 45 globes...it is da BOMB.

Bill says his r2r with updated firmware is even better. Hard to believe...but Bill has total credibility with me....so...i guess I know what the future holds. Lol

Btw..given that der Siebner is a more clinical sound by default...do you all agree with me that NU 45s, 6A3s and Psvane UK design 300bs could be good match for a more liquid midrange and more emotional connection?

Thank you, Norman :)

I agree with you on paper regarding the 45s and 300b recommendation for der Siebner. I don't own those particular ones but do have eml mesh 45, Kr 45, Kr 300b balloons.

Not sure on 6A3 as I didn't try this. The other tube is the stunning PX4 - not a lot are talking about this but it is very special. Super quiet / low noise floor but with spooky resolution and traits of a 300b albeit not as "overblown" in the mids. Probably my favourite on a given day ;)

Not yet, but I keep in mind your recommendation.

It is da bomb for sure as I heard it take Kedar's big 7 to another league in my system. If you like 101d, then you'll adore 242. Only thing is you might want to borrow some 300bs or px4s if your Lampi is just a fraction hard.

At these price points, the Chord DAVE is worth and audition.

Hi Ruben,

I am not a DCS fan tbh - I have heard all their current range many times in lots of systems so aware of the sound. DCS has always sounded super clean, clear, fast, and detailed to me. What DCS does not have is harmonic colour, liquidity, body, tone and musicality. Just IMHO and I know others will disagree. I am an analog man at heart mainly because the timbre, spaciousness and sheer enjoyment is conveyed so well - this is what is important to me. The 2 dacs are chalk and cheese. I don't know Trinity so can't comment although I know Mike sold his because he was happy with his GG. The PCM in the GG latest iteration is honestly stupendous - I can't think of any dac I would want to change for.

Mike Lavigne owned both Trinity and Lampi DSD, and now owns Lampi DSD, sold off the Trinity, though he still likes it. That is the older model with jriver upsampling which is the least good of all upsamplers
Elberoth owns both, and has been owning both. I heard both at his
Audiocrack owns both, though in different systems
Sujay reported that a dealer in Singapore (whom I had the pleasure of meeting at Munich) had a client turn in his vivaldi stack for the Lampi.
AlRainbow owns the B7 and the 35k MSB stack and prefers the B7
I have counted 4 shifts from BADA reference to Lampi, none the other way
I have heard offline of one owner sell of his Total dac 12 for the GG.

I would suggest, depending on where you are located, fly over and listen. I mainly listen to classical (orchestra, baroque, opera). Most comparisons above were done on cheap chinese 101d replicas (which are quite good, but nothing like the potential you can reach with better valves and the new R2R engine).

Thanks guys for sharing these more detailed impressions, really helpful! Would it be possible to keep the fast and detailed sound of the dCS with the right tubes on a GG? Of course with the better harmonic colour, liquidity, body, tone etc. Or is that not achievable?

Just to be clear, you had the latest R2R engine (2016) but with the newest USB input board? Good to share your opinion here about these new more precise clocks. I wonder if they would sound also more clinical in the GG.

Actually, Lampi would probably sound faster. Unlike regular valve products (audio research, jadis, levels of Lampi below big 7, etc, the top Lampi models are direct heated triode (DHT), and that makes Lampi extremely fast. With right valves like 101d replicas or 242, it is extremely dynamic and punchy and fast.

I use classical for audition, and you can check Gnomus from pictures at an exhibition for speed and slam

Hi Ruben,

"Would it be possible to keep the fast and detailed sound of the dCS with the right tubes on a GG?"

> if you want the really fast, super detailed sound but with musicality then 101d or 242 tubes in the Lampi will give you that. It won't quite have the absolute bass extension or authority of a great ss dac but you are certainly not wanting for bass. 101d and 242 do something crazy with soundstage - if you are an imaging person, then you'll love it.

Actually, Lampi would probably sound faster. Unlike regular valve products (audio research, jadis, levels of Lampi below big 7, etc, the top Lampi models are direct heated triode (DHT), and that makes Lampi extremely fast. With right valves like 101d replicas or 242, it is extremely dynamic and punchy and fast.

I use classical for audition, and you can check Gnomus from pictures at an exhibition for speed and slam

Hi Ruben,

"Would it be possible to keep the fast and detailed sound of the dCS with the right tubes on a GG?"

> if you want the really fast, super detailed sound but with musicality then 101d or 242 tubes in the Lampi will give you that. It won't quite have the absolute bass extension or authority of a great ss dac but you are certainly not wanting for bass. 101d and 242 do something crazy with soundstage - if you are an imaging person, then you'll love it.

Thanks again guys, great to get such detailed information and tubes-to-go-to suggestions! Do both of you use the GG as a preamplifier? I've got a Classe Omega Pre at the moment and in combination with the dCS Paganini that sounds better then going the amp-direct-route. I am really a sucker for dynamics/details and soundstage so I guess going with the 101d (would the replica PSVane be good enough?) and 242 (this one? http://www.tubecollectors.org/we/archives/242a.pdf Which brand is it?) would satisfy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing