New Dedicated Listening Room

Thats a hell of a floor Al.

Rex, don’t forget mass loaded vinyl as an option in your wall construction. Saves the extra layer of sheetrock, green glue, etc. Between studs we used BlueJeans insulation, mass loaded vinyl, then the sheetrock. My room has equivalent of RPG BAD panels on top of the sheetrock behind acoustic fabric, if it sucked would be easy to remove the panels the fabric track allows some flexibility to hide treatments and have flexibility for the placement of same.
I like your room. Sonically its calm and seems to play well. I am a bit nervous about doing anything that is burried. Rooms still feel like the wild west. I don't feel there is much consensus on what is correct. Maybe some basic ratios. I have seen people stiffen and damp the wall and floor structure. I don't believe this has been negative.

I was in one room with the RSC channel and double drywall and it had a bad metalic ring. Overly lively. Come to think of it, he had the plywood strips glued and screwed on the studs. It was on a slab.

I was in another room in a basement with concrete walls and a similar wall system. yet no wall stiffener. Just Home Depot 2x4 that were bent and floppy. It was fantstic. Also on a slab.

To Als poimt, I can sneak in floor stiffening if I'm in there running wire. I have the excuse opening it up gives me a path for data and power to the main house. I would like.to be able to walk and not have the needle skip.

Vashon is north of the San Juans. I love the San Juans too. I tried to get a vacation propery on Lopez Island. It just never worked out.

There is an event on Vashon every year I go to... Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts. There are hundreds of vintage motorcycles that line the streets of downtown and then there is a poker run...... Love it!!

I tried reading Rons 5 favorite rooms. No info in there. Just noise. Anyhow. I sat and thought about what I have heard myself. I get the drywall having noise. I get how a cinder block would be different. I get how walls of records and shelves are a benefit. Makes me wonder about damping the drywall. And what does the screw and glue framing do. Also about using wall paper instead of paint. My wife wants to use wall paper somewhere in the house.

I built 2 rooms in my basement.... rooms within rooms... Could hear ZERO outside noise. Also the neighbors couldn't hear the wailing metal guitars at 10 o'clock at night. Mission accomplished!! It was RSC and double drywall with Green Glue. It works.

There is an event on Vashon every year I go to... Vintage Motorcycle Enthusiasts. There are hundreds of vintage motorcycles that line the streets of downtown and then there is a poker run...... Love it!!
PM me when its close. Lets say hi. You can swing by and see the new space.

Reactions: Bruce B
I built 2 rooms in my basement.... rooms within rooms... Could hear ZERO outside noise. Also the neighbors couldn't hear the wailing metal guitars at 10 o'clock at night. Mission accomplished!! It was RSC and double drywall with Green Glue. It works.
Thats about what I want to do. I most likely will use the room above. Its still 600 feet. About 22 x 25. I will brace the floor. I will probably use green glue and screw to attach a second skin to the first. I doubt I will tear down the drywall in the existing room. Not sure yet.

total room isolation is a must for me.
my house is brick and block
So one layer of brick tied into one layer of concrete block
the house was built line this
the walls are not attached to exterior house
2/6 12 inches apart each bay has bridging 3 times in 12 feet high
floor beams see 3/12 10 inches apart
Interior walls attached at bottom and top
the ceilings are floating only attached to ceiling beams
A layer of insulation between the beams
Then sheet rock
now this gets attached to genie clips
This has a layer of plywood and of Sheetrock
a layer glued and screwed to it
then a decorative paneling
the point was acoustic isolation for my tenants above me.
I can play home theater or stereo anytime

Attachments

• IMG_4111.png
    IMG_4111.png
    657.6 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: christoph
I'm not worried about neighbors. My renters are 40 feet away in a separate building. My neighbors are maybe 300 feet away. I have 5 acres.

I intend to get subs. I want to avoid bass issues. I wonder if I can get a horn bass?

My god. 1000 feet of wood floors is $25,000. I need to control my wife.

What kind of floors typical 5 to 7 a square
is there sub floors to remove ?
If tou need ideas or just general confirmation call Rex

Mafi Uni Ash. Engineered. They pitch the oll no VOC. My wife goes for that stuff. She treats her home furnishings like we treat audio. If its high quality and expensive, it has to be good.

I currently have Carlisle wide plank. 7", 5", 3" wide. Many boards are up to 16 feet long. Cost about $16 a foot in 2009. Also have the Wallnut that is up to 9" wide with up to 12 foot pieces.

She also wants the Sub Zero refer. Not sure the cook top yet. Normaly I would get a range but there is a double stack oven there already. And the toilets have to be Toto. As well as the stand alone Bidet. No toilet seat bidet here.

• Love
Reactions: MarkusBarkus
I own the best system I could not afford anymore. Were retired. Its amazing how little distance a few million in the bank gets you. Its sort of sobering. Fortunately I can grow my own food!!!!! Guests will be fed the chicken you pick.from the flock and whatever greens you pick from the garden. I'm not responsible for what my white lightning does to your vision.
Do the guests get to butcher the chickens? I think it's good for us to kill and butcher the animals that we eat - it helps us appreciate our connection to nature and the actual impacts on the animals of our dietary choices. You'll probably get more people skipping the chicken dinner and eating a salad if you adopt this approach!

I have a line of people that want to harvest the deer.

Most of my friends would want to see a chicken meat process system.
My wife and her friends would probably join PETA . I already have to shred a whole cooked chicken for her.

I don't want to raise goat, sheep or pig as it would bother me to harvest a larger animal I know.

Reactions: SCAudiophile
I know people who are bothered by the local grocery store in New England selling fresh fruit in the middle of the winter.
I wonder if they drink coffee or tea?

They have a 23 and a 16. How big do you want to go. As in physical size.

Reactions: Chrisl
I would like to be able to hear it. I'm hesitant to guess anymore.

Well first get the room done lol
a ported or loaded or whatever is a good direction for an open baffle like yours

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing